Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dodge Charger or Challenger? (update on post 66)

Tour of Duty

V6 Challenger does 0-60 in 8.1 seconds, and the quarter-mile in a click over 16 seconds at 88 mph. I think the V6 Charger is slightly slower. I'm pretty sure my old V6 Plymouth Acclaim performed similarly.

Like I said. You'd be getting smoked by a V-6 Accord. They are weak and car guys like myself like to laugh at them. No offense to the V-6 muscle car drivers out there.

Like I said. You'd be getting smoked by a V-6 Accord. They are weak and car guys like myself like to laugh at them. No offense to the V-6 muscle car drivers out there.

dont you drive a gti? if so then an accord would show you its tail lights as well.

We've put plenty of transmissions in 300's. I don't buy the whole logic that Chrysler became instantly more reliable since Mercedes was thrown into the mix. We still fix plenty of new Chryslers, including transmission replacement.

We haven't replaced many Magnum transmissions that I can recall though. That either means that you are good or there just aren't that many Magnums on the road.

Hope you have good luck with the Magnum.:)

my guess would be that there arent many magnums on the road considering the 300, charger, and magnum have near identical power trains.

dodges DO score pretty low in reliability studies.

I own 2 Diamler Chrysler Vehicles. A Jeep Patriot and A Dodge Caliber.

The Jeep is 2 years old with 28k miles.

The Dodge is 1 year old with 21k miles.

Neither have had a problem to speak of other than a blown speaker in the Jeep.

I'm a big believer in that you get out of a car what you put into it.

They are offering employee pricing which is nice.

I'd get the charger. Better mpg. more room. available in AWD. Probably also cheaper insurance.

If you do decide on dodge, get the uconnect stero system. It's nice.

as far as reliability ratings check this out.

http://www.allpar.com/cr.html

consumer reports ftl

to the op......i would take the challenger. personally i just like the styling better. if they're still around in a few years i might trade in my srt4 on one. and if your going to get one dont get a v6. you think your going to save on gas by getting it, but you wont. the v8s will break about even with them. the v6 has too little torque for such a heavy car, and your mileage will suffer. that is unless you drive mostly highway, then the v6 may hold a slight edge. just my 2 cents.

dont you drive a gti? if so then an accord would show you its tail lights as well.

No I don't... If I did, I'd admit that a V-6 Accord would smoke me. A V-6 Accord probably could take the car that I drive. That said, the car I currently own is very fun to drive and that is all I need (and can afford) for now. It's also the best handling front wheel drive car I've ever driven.

That is beside the point. The point of buying a new age muscle car is to look bad ass. If you look bad ass but can't take a mid size family car off the line, something is seriously wrong. That's my point.

Springfield, what are your thoughts on the (Aussie built) Pontiac?

Which Pontiacs are Aussie built? All?

The Corvette engine bearing, but discontinued, GTO really got my mouth watering. I like the aesthetics of the newer ones (G6?) but many of the V-6 engines (think 3.4L) like to blow intake manifold gaskets.

The Challenger is sweet, but if you want room go with the Charger. For as much **** as Chysler took when they announced a 4 door Charger, the extra two doors are nice, especially in todays parking lots. The car has a ton of room, great interior, and the 5.7 is straight balls to the wall. They even added 30 more horse power to the 09 hemi, so now it's 370. The Charger is one of the few American cars that are actually selling right now. Everywhere you look there is a Charger.

The Corvette engine bearing, but discontinued, GTO really got my mouth watering. I like the aesthetics of the newer ones (G6?) but many of the V-6 engines (think 3.4L) like to blow intake manifold gaskets.

The GTO

PontiacGTORamAir601.jpg

was 'born' as a Monaro

2004_Holden_VZ_Monaro.jpgRaceMonaro01.jpg

whilst the G8

PontiacGrandPrixG8.jpg

began life as an SS Commodore

SSCommodore.jpg

There was also talks about a Pontiac pick-up

pontiacute.jpg

as well as a 're-badged' GMC dualcab

CrewmanGrey.jpg

both of which would be sourced from Australia.

I'd go with the Avenger R/T. That has the 3.5L V6, beautiful two-toned leather, awesome sound system, great gas mileage and is lighter than the Charger and Challenger.

It is a really fun drive and as long as you take care of the car the car will take care of you.

I have 06 Charger RT 350hp V8 with the Road & Track Package! Navigation, UConnect, Leather Seats with Sued inserts. Really nice car its very fun to drive. I wouldnt buy a Charger or Challenger (LOOKS SWEEEET) if its not a V8 man the cars are huge heavy cars and it needs the horse power.

One thing though to be sure of the Hemi is definally not cheap! I had to change my ****ing spark plugs at 36000 miles! nothing was wrong with the car or nothing its in the manual that you should change the spark plugs at 32000 miles thats just unacceptable those things go 75000 to 100000 miles in most cars. You also have to get 3 flushes done Coolant, Transmission and something else flushed and dodge wants to charge 200 each! they also charge 500 to change spark plugs which is down right highway robbery. They use the word "performance car" for the reason you need all this work done at 32000 miles were its usually at least 75000 miles.

So make the choice wisely, great looking cars drive really nice and fun to drive. Play hard ball and work out a great deal all the chips are in your favor. Don't buy a v6 charger or challenger those muscle cars need muscle. There are tons of V6 chargers drivin around every where you look theres one at least the hemi's are not nearly as common. Also you feel good when some one come to you and say is that a hemi you damn right is the answer:cool2:

I definitely need a new car. I drive for work and the car I have now is very unrealiable. I just figured spending an extra $8k or so on a really powerful engine wouldnt be too smart. By spending money on the inerior I mean leather seats and a slightly better than stock sound system. Nothing too crazy.

If you arent gonna get the big engine why get a challenger or a charger? Its a muscle car, do it right and get the muscle. If you want a nice interior, buy an Acura or a Lexus.

I believe the new G8 is being built in Canada, but was developed in Australia. The GXP version is nice, too bad it has two too many doors. I miss my 01 Trans Am WS6. To the OP, nothing wrong with rocking a car with a V6, as long as it's not a muscle car. Because then it's a muscle car without the muscle; in other words, it's for girls. Consider the new Hyundai Genesis coupe that just came out, you can get it with a 210 hp turbo-four or a 300 hp V6 (that's comparable to a Mustang GT with a V8), the interior comes with leather standard and there are lots of gizmos available. If you play it cool with the options, you can get the hi-po version for about 25 grand (again, comparable to a Mustang GT). Gas mileage runs in the twenties.

LS engines > Hemi :2cents:

Your right but if your talking about a GTO the car is stupid fast and its just well plain fast. Thats the problem its PLAIN IS HELL the thing looks like a sunfire. The GTO should have had much better styling cause its engine is impressive its the fastest performance car for the money but looks like ****.

Thats what I was concerned with, since I'm not too familiar with muscle cars I didnt know all the unwritten rules :)

To the muscle car buff (that being a fan of the muscle cars of old - like myself - that these new versions are trying to emulate):

-V8 only (not only for the power, but the SOUND, V6's just don't have that oomph, and sound silly, imo)

-rear wheel drive only

-2 door (a muscle car is not intended to a "family" car)

-small rear seat (forget trying the extra room, the car gets TOO big)

-no fancy interiors

-(edit)manual transmission

Imo, a muscle car isn't really intended to be a daily driver and an only vehicle.

I have an '05 Mustang GT, so I don't much about the new Charger or Challenger, but the V6 version of the Mustang is a totally different car - weaker engine, weaker suspension, cheaper plastic interior components - I hated that car (rented one for a weekend while my factory order was being filled).

In '05 you saw many more V6's on the road than GT's (partially because the GT's were harder to get - my factory order took 4.5 months :doh:), but already after just 4+ years I am seeing less and less of the V6's and more Gt's. That's probably because the V6 was really a crummy car and was "all the rage" at the time and they looked almost identical to the GT.

My 2 cents.

Op, if you can handle some of the flak you'll get from owning a 4 cylinder you may want to consider a turbo toybox. mazdaspeed3, caliber srt4, subaru wrx, etc. it will have more room then the muscles, get better gas mileage, probably be cheaper and can definately hold there own against the charger and challenger rt.

Archived