Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dodge Charger or Challenger? (update on post 66)

Tour of Duty

I definitely need a new car. I drive for work and the car I have now is very unrealiable. I just figured spending an extra $8k or so on a really powerful engine wouldnt be too smart. By spending money on the inerior I mean leather seats and a slightly better than stock sound system. Nothing too crazy.

How about keeping the 8k and being more conservative in what you buy? Remember, even if you finance it, you still have to pay it back. At least, that USED to be true...

I don't mean to act like your dad or anything, just throwing an idea out there. Times are pretty tough, after all...

I believe the new G8 is being built in Canada, but was developed in Australia.

Wherever it's getting built, it's not Australia. When the GTO re-appeared on the US scene in 2004, it was only intended to be available over a three year period. That time has now come and gone.

The '04 model came out with the Corvette LS1 engine, then the LS2 from '05 to '06.

Don't think much of the new look though!

112_0505_speid0101_l.jpg

Depends on your intentions for the car. If you are broke and need somethign to get back and forth, get something used and good on gas. You know they're going to stick us again this summer.

If you want a sports car and intend to keep it, go for the big engine and do the interior later.

Between these two, I say Cahllenger.

But if you want a real sports car, go with the 10 Mustang;)

i drive a 300C SRT-8, which is the bored-out 425hp version of the HEMI. the 300 is on the same platform as the charger and challenger. all three of those and the magnum are all essentially the same car with only very slight differences, mostly cosmetic.

it has been the most reliable car i've ever owned so far. i'm at about 50k miles. i haven't had to have anything done to it outside of regular scheduled maintenence such as tires, brake pads, oil & lube, etc.

i don't have any experience with the V6 or the regular HEMI, but from what i've heard, the SRT8 version is actually the most reliable (which is totally counter-intuitive).

Depends on your intentions for the car. If you are broke and need somethign to get back and forth, get something used and good on gas. You know they're going to stick us again this summer.

If you want a sports car and intend to keep it, go for the big engine and do the interior later.

Between these two, I say Cahllenger.

But if you want a real sports car, go with the 10 Mustang;)

wow really? the mustangs are so overplayed and overhyped these days. 300horsepower from a v8 was impressive.......10-15 years ago. your paying more for a charger/challenger but you get alot more car imo.

i drive a 300C SRT-8, which is the bored-out 425hp version of the HEMI. the 300 is on the same platform as the charger and challenger. all three of those and the magnum are all essentially the same car with slight differences.

it has been the most reliable cars i've ever owned so far. i'm at about 50k miles. i haven't had to have anything done to it outside of regular scheduled maintenence such as tires, brake pads, oil & lube, etc.

i don't have any experience with the V6 or the regular HEMI, but from what i've heard, the SRT8 version is actually the most reliable (which is totally counter-intuitive).

you get what you put into it. its clear you've taken care of your car, but all srt cars are step above. alot of work goes into making those beasts and im glad i got one.

wow really? the mustangs are so overplayed and overhyped these days. 300horsepower from a v8 was impressive.......10-15 years ago. your paying more for a charger/challenger but you get alot more car imo.

You can get up to 540 hp, but someone that is broke probably won't ba able to shell out

If you look at old muscle cars, the bigger the engine, the bigger the worth

I wouldn't buy a car from a car company that will not exist after a year. Buying any Chrysler/Dodge product is fool hardy. That company isn't a viable company and despite the bailouts will cease to exist in the not to distant future.

you seem awfully certain of that. i suspect you are incorrect.

I respectfully have to disagree with you. The reason being, did NASCAR ever outlaw the LS Engine?

The Hemi engine is an extremely powerful (and gas guzzling) design.

If you think the current crop of "hemi" engines have much relation at all to those hemi's of old, you need to do a little more research.

Op, if you can handle some of the flak you'll get from owning a 4 cylinder you may want to consider a turbo toybox. mazdaspeed3, caliber srt4, subaru wrx, etc. it will have more room then the muscles, get better gas mileage, probably be cheaper and can definately hold there own against the charger and challenger rt.

Charger is much bigger than those cars

If you get a Charger or Challenger just get the v8. I have a v6 charger and I regret getting the v6 after learning that the hemi's mds system gives it about the same gas mileage as the v6. You should check out Lxforums.com and see all the info on all the lx bodies out. Magnums, Chargers, Challengers and 300s.

Update for anyone who cares

I decided to go with the Challenger and test drove both the V6 and V8. I definitely wanted the V8 after driving it plus, with the interior already being how I wanted it I wouldnt have to add as much as I would on the V6. I also realized buying a V6 muscle car is kind of like getting your steak well done. Reading through the rest of the posts this morning reaffirmed that thought. Some one made a pretty good point about not really saving any gas on ethe V6 as oopsed to the V8 due to the weight of the car etc... I didnt think about that.

Anyhow, as I was getting ready to start the "negotiating" process they told me the Challenger wasnt included in the Employee Pricing Plus Plus deal. It really pissed me off. I figured I might be able to go to Vegas or Arizona and find one. Apparantly they dont have the offer in CA, AZ, NV, WA or OR for the Challengers. No love for the west coast I guess. So now I'm back a square one but thanks for all the input from everyone.

If you think the current crop of "hemi" engines have much relation at all to those hemi's of old, you need to do a little more research.

Yea really heh

I get about 25 on the highway with mine whem im driving carefully, of course thats driving like grand mama LOL which isnt too often, but the multi displacement engine is great on gas (uses 4 cylinders while cruising and not slammin on the gas pedal) compared to those old V8s

I decided to go with the Challenger and test drove both the V6 and V8. I definitely wanted the V8 after driving it plus, with the interior already being how I wanted it I wouldnt have to add as much as I would on the V6. I also realized buying a V6 muscle car is kind of like getting your steak well done. Reading through the rest of the posts this morning reaffirmed that thought. Some one made a pretty good point about not really saving any gas on ethe V6 as oopsed to the V8 due to the weight of the car etc... I didnt think about that.

Anyhow, as I was getting ready to start the "negotiating" process they told me the Challenger wasnt included in the Employee Pricing Plus Plus deal. It really pissed me off. I figured I might be able to go to Vegas or Arizona and find one. Apparantly they dont have the offer in CA, AZ, NV, WA or OR for the Challengers. No love for the west coast I guess. So now I'm back a square one but thanks for all the input from everyone.

Good Move!!!! on the V6 vs V8!!! The Charger and Challenger both has the same interior just the charger is much bigger. The Challenger that blue looks CRAZY!!!! I saw one when I was getting my oil changed and almost thought about test driving it until I saw the back seat room which is small is hell. But man that blue looks so so good on that car it looks like a show car but I also realized that I am having a baby and I need the space.

If I where you I would get a Charger Daytona they come in funky colors but its a bad ass lookin car, or get a Black Charger RT with the R&T package WHICH IS VERY VERY IMPORTANT. The package come with the engine tuned with an 10 extra hp but its sports suspension and handling is upgraded big time also upgraded exhaust and a spoiler o and 20" rims!!!. I am causing you more money but its worth it dude.

Why not just get a year old car? You won't take the depreciation hit. The money you aren't spending (However much you get under the $500/month you were willing to pay) can go to a savings account. There are a lot of people without jobs that wish they had a few extra grand sitting in the bank right about now.

about the bold. that was me. i learned the hard way. i got a v6 in a full size truck, man did i regret that. no power and poor mileage. but it was my first car and you live and learn.

thats awsome man! good choice. too bad for the employee pricing but the way the market is right now you could rob them and get a bunch of money off the sticker. heck see if they'll throw in some performance parts to sweeten the deal. lol

I wouldn't buy a car from a car company that will not exist after a year. Buying any Chrysler/Dodge product is fool hardy. That company isn't a viable company and despite the bailouts will cease to exist in the not to distant future.

:doh:

Archived