Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dodge Charger or Challenger? (update on post 66)

Tour of Duty

Hey there, I'm probably going to buy a new car within the next week and I usually go the Toyota or Honda route but with the great deals Dodge is having right now I was thinking about a Challenger or a Charger. I dont know much about cars and I wouldnt be going all out and getting a V8 R/T and all that good stuff.

Would it be worth it to buy one of these cars with just a V6? I'm also not very familiar with Dodges are they pretty reliable?

Any one have either of these cars and recomend one over the other?

My main reason for not getting the higher end engine models is because I'm kind of broke and all the extra cash I spend on the car will be on the interior.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

You're broke but you need a new car and all the extra money needs to be spent on the interior? I'm not following. As far as looks go they both look pretty mean. I would go with the Challenger.

I definitely need a new car. I drive for work and the car I have now is very unrealiable. I just figured spending an extra $8k or so on a really powerful engine wouldnt be too smart. By spending money on the inerior I mean leather seats and a slightly better than stock sound system. Nothing too crazy.

I definitely need a new car. I drive for work and the car I have now is very unrealiable. I just figured spending an extra $8k or so on a really powerful engine wouldnt be too smart. By spending money on the inerior I mean leather seats and a slightly better than stock sound system. Nothing too crazy.

Hmmm. What do you mean by drive for work? Do clients get in your car?

Hey there, I'm probably going to buy a new car within the next week and I usually go the Toyota or Honda route but with the great deals Dodge is having right now I was thinking about a Challenger or a Charger. I dont know much about cars and I wouldnt be going all out and getting a V8 R/T and all that good stuff.

Would it be worth it to buy one of these cars with just a V6? I'm also not very familiar with Dodges are they pretty reliable?

Any one have either of these cars and recomend one over the other?

My main reason for not getting the higher end engine models is because I'm kind of broke and all the extra cash I spend on the car will be on the interior.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

So let me get this straight you're broke but you want to buy a new car despite the fact you don't know much about cars in the first place? :doh:

What car do you have now? You say that it is unreliable but is it something you can get fixed for less money than a new car? If so your answer lies there. Don't live beyond your means especially if you're strapped for cash.

So let me get this straight you're broke but you want to buy a new car despite the fact you don't know much about cars in the first place? :doh:

What car do you have now? You say that it is unreliable but is it something you can get fixed for less money than a new car? If so your answer lies there. Don't live beyond your means especially if you're strapped for cash.

I have a 1996 Toyota Camry right now with over 160k miles on it. The car has an oil leak that is going to cost nearly $1000 to repair. I guess Broke isnt the right choice of words, I can probably afford $500 a month comfortably. I dont plan on putting anything down though.

I have a 1996 Toyota Camry right now with over 160k miles on it. The car has an oil leak that is going to cost nearly $1000 to repair. I guess Broke isnt the right choice of words, I can probably afford $500 a month comfortably. I dont plan on putting anything down though.

lol yeah if you can afford $500 a month, no you're not broke my friend. Just to put things in perspective for you I bought a brand new 2007 Mustang GT it ended up being ~$31,000. And over a 5.5 year loan that's about what my payments are($500).

If you're looking for reliable, I would keep looking.

dodges DO score pretty low in reliability studies.

I own 2 Diamler Chrysler Vehicles. A Jeep Patriot and A Dodge Caliber.

The Jeep is 2 years old with 28k miles.

The Dodge is 1 year old with 21k miles.

Neither have had a problem to speak of other than a blown speaker in the Jeep.

I'm a big believer in that you get out of a car what you put into it.

They are offering employee pricing which is nice.

I'd get the charger. Better mpg. more room. available in AWD. Probably also cheaper insurance.

If you do decide on dodge, get the uconnect stero system. It's nice.

Dodge's are pretty unreliable. Their V-6 offerings are lacking the power that give both the Charger and Challenger the name it deserves. The Challenger is offered in a 3.5L engine and the Charger is offered with either a 3.5L or a 2.7L engine. Both can be found on various other Dodge models and both have common problems. Even though both of these models are new, I would assume that they will still have the same standard transmission problems.

My advice: Look elsewhere for a car.

Dodge's are pretty unreliable. Their V-6 offerings are lacking the power that give both the Charger and Challenger the name it deserves. The Challenger is offered in a 3.5L engine and the Charger is offered with either a 3.5L or a 2.7L engine. Both can be found on various other Dodge models and both have common problems. Even though both of these models are new, I would assume that they will still have the same standard transmission problems.

My advice: Look elsewhere for a car.

Since the Magnums and 300s came out (i own a magnum) they changed the trasmissions and suspensions to mercedes parts, so far so good on my transmission, 68k miles on my 05 magnum. I did buy the extended warranty though, 8 years 85k miles ...just in case ;)

Im sure these new model cars are using the better parts as well. I had a 97 dodge pickup before i got the magnum, it started having transmission and rear differential problems, but i had 100k miles on

SpringfieldSkins

What do ya think of the Camaros?...the wife has the itch.

I'm assuming that you are talking about the 2010 Camaro...

Of the American cars, I am a Chevy fan. I think that the Camaro is the best looking of the bunch when it comes to muscle cars "reinvented". This would include the new Mustang, Charger and Challenger. I think that the LS motor in the Camaro is leaps and bounds better than the other V-8 offerings from the other automakers. I don't buy into the "Hemi" jargon one bit.

On the downside, I think that Chevy is a little "late" to the party. I think that, like usual, Chevy realized that people had an interest in restyled muscle cars and went with it. Unfortunately, they are 5 years behind Ford and 3 years behind Chrysler. This isn't something new to Chevy, they are not usually innovators, they just follow along with what sells cars.

As far as the V-6 engine that is used in the Camaro (3.6L), I can't think of another Chevy model that uses a 3.6 off the top of my head. Looking at their web site, it is direct injected, which I am totally for.

Either way, with any of the new age muscle cars... I think that if you don't get with a V-8 under the hood, you are doing it all wrong. Sure, it looks cool and all, but any of those muscle cars (in V-6 form) would be smoked by a Honda Accord V-6. Getting your shiny new V-6 muscle car looking doohickey annihilated by a Honda is complete fail.

Since the Magnums and 300s came out (i own a magnum) they changed the trasmissions and suspensions to mercedes parts, so far so good on my transmission, 68k miles on my 05 magnum. I did buy the extended warranty though, 8 years 85k miles ...just in case ;)

Im sure these new model cars are using the better parts as well. I had a 97 dodge pickup before i got the magnum, it started having transmission and rear differential problems, but i had 100k miles on

We've put plenty of transmissions in 300's. I don't buy the whole logic that Chrysler became instantly more reliable since Mercedes was thrown into the mix. We still fix plenty of new Chryslers, including transmission replacement.

We haven't replaced many Magnum transmissions that I can recall though. That either means that you are good or there just aren't that many Magnums on the road.

Hope you have good luck with the Magnum.:)

I work for an insurance company and I have to go to court, mediations, depositions etc and meet with our clients to prep them.

How much more will your insurance cost for a Charger or Challenger than for a cheaper car? :D

V6 Challenger does 0-60 in 8.1 seconds, and the quarter-mile in a click over 16 seconds at 88 mph. I think the V6 Charger is slightly slower. I'm pretty sure my old V6 Plymouth Acclaim performed similarly.

Personally, I think in the long term you'll be disappointed by a car that looks much faster than it actually is. And if cash is somewhat short, I imagine you'll be disappointed when you try to resell the V6 version of either car.

Archived