Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

10 or more killed in Alabama shootings...

Sticksboi05

And were you taught to put words in people's mouths? Where did I say this particular shooting had anything to do with religion? I said religion has caused violence throughout history...

I have plenty of history to back my statement up...Hundred Year's War, Holocaust, Irish Protestants vs. Catholics, The Crusades, the current Middle East crisis etc...I'm not saying the fundamentals of the religions are violent, heck I go to church every Sunday but I'm not nieve enough to think religion doesn't cause violence. I mean for God's sake if not for violence and forcing, Christianity wouldn't be in half the places in the world that it is but the Europeans forced people to believe it. It's just another variable for people to fight over, and yes it is common sense.

Money (greed) = violence.

Violence is because A has something B wants.

One of my favorite lines from a Ridley Scott film about the crusades:

"I have given Jerusalem my whole life. First, I thought we were fighting for God. Then I realized we were fighting for wealth and land. I was ashamed."

People are ****ed up these days :(

People have always been like this.

If anything, religion = more violence. That's just how it has gone throughout history.

Very true.

Really ? Is that what they're teaching you in High School History class, these days ? :doh:

I must have missed the CNN report on how this guy went on a serial rampage because of religion

Mick, take out religion in the history of the world and how many wars do you have? Alot less.

You gotta admit to that at least.

He did still live with his mother according to a Montgomery news station. Probably because he had been laid off at the metals plant. There were 400 people in the plant where he killed himself. I'm glad none of them were hurt.

Little by little more info is coming out. The shooter had just quit a job at a sausage plant a few days before the shooting. He had worked there two years and was called well liked and a reliable team leader by a supervisor. The layoff from the metals plant was several years earlier. He must have really hated this job and still resented being let go from the metals plant seeing how as that is where he went before he shot himself. He was using an assault rifle which is not legal anywhere that I know of for an individual to own.

The saddest part to me is one of the deputies who was chasing the guy the final miles had already lost his wife and child to this maniac but didn't know it at the time. :(

I wonder how that ties in with him targeting his family and those with them?

http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?S=9987382

3:30 p.m. - local firefighters responded to witness reports of a fire at that County Road 474 in Kinston. The victim is believed to be Lisa White McLendon, 52, McLendon's mother.

McLendon then traveled to Samson in Geneva County, where he shot and killed five individuals on the front porch of his uncle's residence on West Pullum Street. The victims are identified as:

Corrine Gracy Myers, 18 months, the daughter of Geneva County Deputy Josh Myers

Andrea D. Myers, 31, mother of the 18-month-old and wife of Deputy Myers

James Alford White, 55, identified as McLendon's uncle

Tracy Michelle Wise, 34, identified as McLendon's cousin

Dean James Wise, 15, identified as Ms. Wise's son and McLendon's second cousin

Injured at that residence was 4-month-old Ella K. Myers, the daughter of Deputy Myers. Ella was transported by LifeFlight to Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola. This morning she was listed in stable condition and scheduled for surgery.

McLendon then shot and killed Virginia E. White, 74, identified as McLendon's grandmother, who was standing in the doorway of her home on Pullum Street, next door to the residence where the first attack occurred.

That's because depressed and mentally ill people are not always fixed by drugs, not because the drugs themselves cause the problems.

Correlation and causation are not the same thing.

Lots of people sue and say that Zoloft caused their crazy kid to commit suicide, but they are searching for answers and scapegoats, not being logical. They pretty much always lose the lawsuits for lack of any genuine evidence.

that's a nice little rant, but you were 12 when columbine happened, which is why it seems like that's when it all started. no, that's just the one you remembered. the 24 hour-up-to-the-minute news coverage was really starting to blow up at that time too, which is a factor.

if kids went into ANY public school or college campus and shoots multiple people, it's on the news.

your soapboxes are always a good read, though.

There are numerous gang shootings either at or near public schools that never get reported nationally.

That's because depressed and mentally ill people are not always fixed by drugs, not because the drugs themselves cause the problems.

Correlation and causation are not the same thing.

Lots of people sue and say that Zoloft caused their crazy kid to commit suicide, but they are searching for answers and scapegoats, not being logical. They pretty much always lose the lawsuits for lack of any genuine evidence.

Well the correlation shows they probably need to do something different:(,plus there is a bit of difference between suicide ,ordinary murder and mass killing.

that's a nice little rant, but you were 12 when columbine happened, which is why it seems like that's when it all started. no, that's just the one you remembered. the 24 hour-up-to-the-minute news coverage was really starting to blow up at that time too, which is a factor.

if kids went into ANY public school or college campus and shoots multiple people, it's on the news.

I was going to respond to him, but I couldn't have said it any better than that.

There are numerous gang shootings either at or near public schools that never get reported nationally.

The point is that the media jumps on the ones that involve mass murder. The more victims, the more media coverage. Sad but true.

Well the correlation shows they probably need to do something different:(,plus there is a bit of difference between suicide ,ordinary murder and mass killing.

Agreed on both counts.

But antidepressants do a world of good for a hell of a lot of people too.

Colubmine is the first one I remember because I think it was the first one that really got the media's attention.

Now why was that? No way it could have been the fact it occurred in an upscale neighborhood in Colorado.:rolleyes:

People deny that there is a correlation between class and what the media covers. They are simply WRONG. Suddenly, when it happens in suburbia, or places of higher value, it's a national tragedy. But, if ten people were killed in an inner city school tomorrow, it's just more gang violence and it's not that big of a deal.

**** that. Seriously. Why does our society place more value on certain lives than others? I'm not saying what happened at Columbine and VT wasn't wrong. But it would be equally as wrong if it happened somewhere else.

It's like the financial issue. It wasn't a big deal until it started happening to people with money. News flash, America: GOOD people who worked their asses off got screwed way before you started to publish the headlines.

Wow. You sound like Kanye West here.

Mass shootings?

I think it all started in 1999 really. With Columbine.

I could be wrong. I'm sure it happened before that. But that seems to be when it really started.

Although there are rarely this many deaths, this stuff happens almost every year, I'd say. Columbine got a lot of attention because it was students. That was a new wrinkle.

Wishes for healing to all families involved in Alabama. Wow. Dude suh-napped.

Yah, I was just thinking... "one of the bloodiest murders in our nations history (bloodiest?), and someone says it was covered because it was a rich neighborhood" :doh:

Yah, I was just thinking... "one of the bloodiest murders in our nations history (bloodiest?), and someone says it was covered because it was a rich neighborhood" :doh:

Yeah I know seriously, mass killings have been a part of human history since the beginning. 1999? Really? But yeah Columbine had nothing to do with it being a rich neighborhood. I'm sure if in DC someone opened fire on a ghetto school and killed 15 people it'd be on the news...

People have always been like this.

Very true.

Mick, take out religion in the history of the world and how many wars do you have? Alot less.

You gotta admit to that at least.

or you have to admit that had you taken religion out of the equation, they would have found something else to fight over. or you could argue that many times, it wasn't really about religion, but religion was the scapegoat.

show me where someone walks into a public school, kills multiple students, and it doesn't get news coverage.

gang shootings are not the same as mass murders in a public school.

Archived