Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

10 or more killed in Alabama shootings...

Sticksboi05

TJ, the media is the media. Their only bias is to make money. They're major corporations not grassroots operations. Once you look at them like that it's pretty easy to figure out why they do what they do. And that's fine. Corporations exist to make money.

I'm more interested in why they even have ANY horrible things to report.

Well I was talking about mass shootings in general. Not just those of the school variety. Maybe I didn't make that clear. My bad.

We dont know the full details yet, but I'm guessing the guy has to be younger. It said he went and killed his grandparents and I think it said he burnt the house down with his mom in it making it look like he still lived with her.

It may seem bad because we live during these times.

But think back in history. I don't think there is a time when there wasn't senseless violence.

Lol, which is what I said. It started with me questioning when it stops being "what's wrong with people THESE DAYS" and starts being the norm. Then I was trying to figure out why it happens here more than in other places and why it seems more random now than it has in the past.

So it's late, I got a Middle Ages story to read for my world lit class and I guess I'm ranting incoherently now. That's what I get for thinking "outloud" lol. So yeah I'm gonna go before I do anymore damage.

Goodnight you all.

And again, RIP.

why would any of you hear of this kind of thing in other countries? Unless you listen to their media, and then you would hear of it.

Real quick...

My wife is from Brazil, my stepmother from Peru. I was born and raised and currently live in perhaps the most diverse area in the country. Then add in globalization/shrinking of the world and the power of the internet. So yes, I would and have heard of it in other countries.

And I'm out. Peace.

We dont know the full details yet, but I'm guessing the guy has to be younger. It said he went and killed his grandparents and I think it said he burnt the house down with his mom in it making it look like he still lived with her.

He did still live with his mother according to a Montgomery news station. Probably because he had been laid off at the metals plant. There were 400 people in the plant where he killed himself. I'm glad none of them were hurt.

Colubmine is the first one I remember because I think it was the first one that really got the media's attention.

Now why was that? No way it could have been the fact it occurred in an upscale neighborhood in Colorado.:rolleyes:

People deny that there is a correlation between class and what the media covers. They are simply WRONG. Suddenly, when it happens in suburbia, or places of higher value, it's a national tragedy. But, if ten people were killed in an inner city school tomorrow, it's just more gang violence and it's not that big of a deal.

**** that. Seriously. Why does our society place more value on certain lives than others? I'm not saying what happened at Columbine and VT wasn't wrong. But it would be equally as wrong if it happened somewhere else.

It's like the financial issue. It wasn't a big deal until it started happening to people with money. News flash, America: GOOD people who worked their asses off got screwed way before you started to publish the headlines.

that's a nice little rant, but you were 12 when columbine happened, which is why it seems like that's when it all started. no, that's just the one you remembered. the 24 hour-up-to-the-minute news coverage was really starting to blow up at that time too, which is a factor.

if kids went into ANY public school or college campus and shoots multiple people, it's on the news.

your soapboxes are always a good read, though.

Mass shootings?

I think it all started in 1999 really. With Columbine.

I could be wrong. I'm sure it happened before that. But that seems to be when it really started.

Mass shootings have been happening long before that.

One that stands out is the 1984 McDonalds shooting in San Diego when a guy killed 21.

Another was the '91 Luby's cafeteria shootings in Texas where 23 people were killed while eating lunch.

We have to remember that with 24 cable news and with the internet that we hear about many more incidents than we did before CNN, etc.

In the 70's, 80's you would hear it from Walter Cronkite, etc. in the evening and that would be it until the Today Show the next morning.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/03/11/germany.school.shooting/index.html

Good thing these things only happen in the US :doh:

10 dead after teen shooting rampage at German school

Story Highlights

Shootings happened at a junior high school about 9:30 a.m. local time

School located in town of Winnenden, close to Stuttgart

Police: Exact number of casualties not known

Gunman, 17, dressed in military gear reported to be still at large

(CNN) -- The former student who shot and killed at least 10 people at a school in Germany has been killed by police, German media reports said, citing police sources.

The 17-year-old man dressed in military gear had earlier opened fire at the school in southwest Germany, police said.

Several others were wounded in the incident Wednesday morning in the small town of Winnenden, about 20 kilometers (12 miles) northeast of Stuttgart.

The exact number of casualties was still not known, police said.

The shooting, which lasted about two minutes, happened at the Albertville-Realschule Winnenden school, a junior high school, about 9:30 a.m. About 1,000 students attend the school Map of the area »

Authorities sealed the town off and launched an intense manhunt for the gunman. Police described him as about 17 years old, 1.80m (5'11") and is heavily armed. Watch more about the shootings »

"It is a small town, an idyllic town," said Frank Nipkau, the editor in chief of local Winnenden Zeitung newspaper. "The town people are devastated and they can't understand why this is happening in this town

contd at above link...

UPDATE: GUNMAN KILLED BY POLICE

Religion of peace.:doh:

why say that in this thread?:doh:

On topic, I have always attributed the rise in mass violence in this era to Barney, the purple dinosaur.

The columbine kids were some of the first of the Barney generation. I just know he must be sending subliminal "Kill everyone" messages in his "I love you, you love me" song.

:D

And were you taught to put words in people's mouths? Where did I say this particular shooting had anything to do with religion? I said religion has caused violence throughout history...

I have plenty of history to back my statement up...Hundred Year's War, Holocaust, Irish Protestants vs. Catholics, The Crusades, the current Middle East crisis etc...I'm not saying the fundamentals of the religions are violent, heck I go to church every Sunday but I'm not nieve enough to think religion doesn't cause violence. I mean for God's sake if not for violence and forcing, Christianity wouldn't be in half the places in the world that it is but the Europeans forced people to believe it. It's just another variable for people to fight over, and yes it is common sense.

Shhhhh, you're making too much sense. Do a research on the Romans or Zeitgeist on Youtube.

There is a lack of "Hope"

When the world is falling apart around you and YOU are directly affected.

Those that are mentally weak will succumb to the thoughts of ending it now, take out the family and self.

Not realizing that the aunts/uncles/nieces/nephews and friends are all hurt from this selfish act. Taking out yourself hurts: Taking others extends the wave of pain.

The jobs + the Stock Market + the predictions and the lack of plans and the talk of Future generations Worldwide not being able to recover caused this.

Is it anti-depressants, or the fact that there is mental illness that requires them to be on anti-depressants? That theory just sounds very flawed to try to link a drug as a cause, and not the person's mental health.

With that said I do believe anti-depressants are prescribed incorrectly. If the doctor believes you are suffering from depression, a pill is not going to magically fix it. Anti-depressants should ONLY be given to patients who also agree to go to some type of therapy while they adjust to the medication and try to get to the root cause of their problems.

Is it anti-depressants, or the fact that there is mental illness that requires them to be on anti-depressants? That theory just sounds very flawed to try to link a drug as a cause, and not the person's mental health.

With that said I do believe anti-depressants are prescribed incorrectly. If the doctor believes you are suffering from depression, a pill is not going to magically fix it. Anti-depressants should ONLY be given to patients who also agree to go to some type of therapy while they adjust to the medication and try to get to the root cause of their problems.

The wide spread use of them masks problems that need to be addressed and imo creates as many problems as it solves.

I am biased though against purely pharmaceutical behavioral treatment and the reliance drs seem to have on their use now.

a example

My wife had them prescribed after emergency room visits for chest and shoulder pain:silly:

Turns out she had major artery blockages all over.

Archived