Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should DC get a vote in the House?

Cooked Crack

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

WASHINGTON - The District of Columbia's two-century-long wait for a voice in Congress was a step closer to ending Tuesday with a crucial Senate vote to take up legislation giving the capital city's 600,000 residents a full seat in the House of Representatives.

The Senate voted 62-34, two more than needed, to begin debate on the measure that would increase the House to 437 members. It would give the Democratic-dominated city a new vote while adding a fourth seat to Republican-leaning Western state of Utah.

Key to the vote was that Democrats, who overwhelmingly support the bill, have seven more Senate seats than two years ago when the chamber fell three votes short of the 60 required to end a Republican-led delaying debate.

The bill still faces contentious amendments and may have to overcome Republican opposition to moving to a final vote. If it does pass the Senate, possibly by the end of the week, the bill goes on to a receptive House and ultimately to President Barack Obama, who supports it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29362689/

Last I read its going to be taken up by the House next week. Personally I think we should let DC and the territories have a vote in the House.

I have a bit of a differant take on this than i think the question is actually asking. I think that the ACTUAL Fed land should be DC, i think that the residential areas of the city should not be part of the federal district.

The harder question is what happens to the residential areas, the residential areas of the city dont have the tax base to be self sustaining and neither MD nor VA would want to take on the expense of DC residents.

Its a federal city, don't live there if you don't like the rules. Its not like they didn't know what the rules were before they moved there.

the way a democracy works is that people propose rules, legislate them, and then enforce them. If enough people don't like the rules, they change them.

That's what's happening right now, it's not that complicated.

Archived