Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should DC get a vote in the House?

Cooked Crack

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Its a federal city, don't live there if you don't like the rules. Its not like they didn't know what the rules were before they moved there.

Kind of like those colonial settlers who came over here right as British citizens.....they knew the rules before they arrived. Then they had to start crying about what was fair. Silly people.

They also are not US citizens, they are US nationals. I am more than happy to let people in DC pay less taxes as long as they are now considered US Nationals. :)

Sure you are. And Democrats would be happy to strip Texas of all of it's congressman and Senators in exchange for some money. That doesn't make it right.

with everyone choosing to move there with the understanding of how things work.

So IYO, the simple fact that they are aware that they don't/won't have a congressman makes it OK for them to not be represented?

A few posts later you go on to say it's because you don't agree with the way they vote. Maybe you were being facetious, in fact based on your history I have to assume so because this is not up to your standards.

So IYO, the simple fact that they are aware that they don't/won't have a congressman makes it OK for them to not be represented?

Absolutely! People shouldn't be living in the District to begin with.

A few posts later you go on to say it's because you don't agree with the way they vote. Maybe you were being facetious, in fact based on your history I have to assume so because this is not up to your standards.

Yes I was joking

Please make DC a state. I would love to see this happen. They don't have the tax base to support themselves which means taxes would sky high and everyone would move. Whatever money they did collect would be misused. No more Federal monies for you!

States don't use federal money?

I think you should tell that to Bobby Jindal and the $140.2 billion he received after Katrina, the nearly $4 billion he's going to accept from the stimulus, and the extra $6 billion he's requesting from our big federal Government.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2009/02/25/ST2009022503221.html

sacase, your position on this issue does not appear to be based in reality, and also seems openly hostile towards its residents. you are hoping for the city to collapse? what do have against the citizens of DC?

Because it is reality. DC does not have the tax base to support itself. For DC to have enough money, they would have to drastically raise taxes. The Federal Government provides over 1/3 of DC's budget and still operates many things for DC such as the court system. Its like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Yeah ok, you get voting rights, but you loose the money which puts you in a worse position than before. DC can't tax federal buildings so they are loosing income that way, they cannot build a building higher than the Washington Monument. DC wants to have its cake and eat it too. Its like moving to Dallas and complaining because you can't watch Redskins games every weekend on regular TV.,

To have voting rights according to the constitution you must be a State. US territories do not have voting rights either, just like US citizens who do not live in the US don't have voting rights.

Then D.C. residents shouldn't have to pay any federal taxes.

D.C. was taken from Maryland. Virginia's part, they took back and it is Arlington.

D.C. should have a congressman and be able to vote for Maryland's senators. Or they shouldn't have to pay federal taxes. Watch D.C. population increase if that's the case.

Archived