Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Best Picture of the Best Pictures (2000 to 2008)

footballhenry

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

With Slumdog Millionaire winning Best Picture last night I've been reflecting on past winners of the industry's most prestigious award. I've posted a poll with all the winners of this decade, so it's quite simple: What do you think is the Best Picture of the Best Pictures of this decade?

For me personally I've got to go with:

1. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

2. The Departed

3. Gladiator

Ya know...looking at these winners, I think you can really only say that there are 3 'epic' films; those being LOTR and Gladiator of course, but I would count the Departed as an 'epic' crime saga film. In terms of 'true' epic we haven't had one since '04; hopefully well get one in the next couple years.

the ending of Return of the king was far too long. IMO, that was the worst of the three.

Haha, I love the diverging opinions in this thread.

I hear many people express this sentiment that that the ROTK ending is one of the worst, yet I think it was one of the best ever. My reasoning is precisely because it is NOT rushed, as so many wanted it to be. Look, I understand that in this day and age we want things fast and easy but to me I found it refreshing that Peter Jackson took his time to make sure the movie closed in a flowed, even fashion (hence the 3-4 closings for each part of the cast). Also it ends exactly as the book does which is another aspect I respect greatly. I really do think it pays homage to the older films...and hell, with such an epic movie trilogy why rush the ending when you know there wont ever be another one made as brilliantly as these.:2cents:

For me personally I've got to go with:

1. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

2. The Departed

3. Gladiator

These are such different movies that I'd take all of them for the win. Each of these movies are epic in their own right and cannot justly be compared. Easily the best of the bunch.

Archived