Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Don't be shocked if we do select Brian Orapko DE Texas

killerbee99

Im really not seeing it, Orakpo doesn't play like that elite type of pass rusher, and I don't see any big time pass rushers in this draft unless it comes from the LB position. Orakpo is a big time juice head just to get to 255lbs, and I really don't see the room on his physic to add more, that guy is maxed out. IMO he may out quick a bigger NFL tackle here or there but I think he will get knocked all over the place for the most part regularly, and we all ready have that in place in Carter.

A center, and a guard, would go much further to the betterment of the team, than a DE who is not a J. Peppers type of end.

And this is what is pretty much wrong with the Skins organization, the inability to identify our needs and weaknesses and better them. DE is not a priority right now, especially when it is a weak crop for pass rushing ends.

Sure up the O-line and we may be able to keep the D off the field for a change, that would be the biggest help for the betterment of the defense we could give them next season.

That's kinda how I feel too. Although if Cowher comes in 2010 then he could be a real good draft pick since he's small and fast enough to be a 3-4 OLB.

that is the problem i see with orakpo. he is built like demarcus ware. i have a friend who is a pack fan and he said that he hopes they pick him up as an olb for their new 3-4.

personally i think that he is vernon gholston all over again and someone we should stay away from.

DE is not a priority right now' date=' especially when it is a weak crop for pass rushing ends.

Sure up the O-line and we may be able to keep the D off the field for a change, that would be the biggest help for the betterment of the defense we could give them next season.[/quote']

:applause: The defense is already pretty good in spite of being put in terrible positions by the sputtering offense.

He's the cousin of this kid I know from a underclassmen combine I went to in Texas. What I know about this family, is that they all have a "birth defect" where they can gain muscle 3X as fast as normal, according to Shawn (Onyechi). He told me Orapko has the same thing, I just hope that isn't a code name for steroids.

Orapko is a beast by the way, just somthing that worries me.

Orapko is a beast by the way, just somthing that worries me.

I agree. There is a lot more bust potential IMO, than one of the top four OL. OL is a greater need IMO, and therefore should be addressed first. Unless of course Raji is available, which then leaves a large opportunity for us to solidify a spot for years to come.

Workout warriors seem to have a much higher than average bust rate (I don't have hours to try to put numbers on this), and that scares me!

We were a top 10 (maybe 5?) defense last year, even with our pathetic pass rush. Our offseason priority needs to be bolstering the offensive line. If we do that through FA, then we can address defense with our rd1 pick, but if not, it needs to go to an offensive linemen....

Workout warriors seem to have a much higher than average bust rate (I don't have hours to try to put numbers on this), and that scares me!

We were a top 10 (maybe 5?) defense last year, even with our pathetic pass rush. Our offseason priority needs to be bolstering the offensive line. If we do that through FA, then we can address defense with our rd1 pick, but if not, it needs to go to an offensive linemen....

Exactly. Our offense has been pathetic for years. I would rather draft a running back before a DE, yep, I said it.

I've seen Brian Orakpo being selected in the top 5. Wait until after the combine and pro days when peope either drop or soar.

What is the point of this thread? Was anyone surprised we may draft him before this thread was started? I wasn't

Just like V. Golston last year...He blew up with insane numbers at the combine. I expect Orakpo to do the same. He's been working on the combine drills for several weeks. He's not going to slip to #13.

He'll end up top 5.

If he were to slip then great. Take him and dump JT. He's a beast !

I don't get why so many people are calling him a "workout warrior" just because he is strong as hell. I think of a workout warrior as someone who doesn't really have impressive numbers but can throw up weight like a madman. Orakpo is a beast in the weight room but he also has the production to back it up. I remember him going up against Phil Loadholdt and making him look like a complete chump.

I wouldn't mind this pick. But like others have said I wouldn't mind trading down and taking Tyson Jackson either. He's not a speed rusher but he's STRONG as hell. Plus that would give us one extra pick to work on our needs.

I'd Tottaly agree with you if I actually felt we would use the additional pick on a NEED!!! Something tells me we wouldn't!!!

Last years picks made me wonder if Vinny was Picking or if Zorn hadn't watched enough of our last years Game film prior to the draft to address our needs!!!

With that 2nd pick when we shoulda went DE and took the TE instead. Just another year of neglecting the Line!!!

I would love for the Skins to acquire Orakpo.

Guys that appear on ESPN's College Workout Warriors list tend to do well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?id=3420212

1. Brian Orakpo, Texas, DE: The Longhorns haven't had an All-American end since Tony Brackens 13 years ago, but Orakpo might end the drought. To say Orakpo has blossomed in Austin would be an understatement. He arrived at Texas as a 210-pounder and now looks like an All-American: He is a chiseled 253-pounder with 8 percent body fat, stunning power and explosiveness, who throws around 100-pound kettlebells and 180-pound dumbbells. His work in the weight room is eye-popping. Orakpo also benches 515 pounds, power cleans 380 pounds, runs an electronically timed 40 in 4.6 seconds and has a vertical jump of a whopping 42 inches.

[+] EnlargeUniversity of Texas Athletic Photography

Brian Orakpo's work in the weight room has led Texas coach Mack Brown to peg the DE for big things in 2008.

On the field, Orakpo missed four games with a knee problem last season, but did show in his Texas' Holiday Bowl win over Arizona State that he's a lot more than just some workout warrior by winning Defensive MVP honors after notching career highs in tackles (six) and TFLs (three) to go along with two sacks.

"Brian Orakpo is as good of an athlete as I've ever coached," Mack Brown says. "He has an unbelievable combination of power, speed and explosiveness. But what he does with that athletic ability is even more impressive. He's as hard of a worker as we've had in our program, practices and plays with great intensity and is a terrific young man off the field. We think he can be one of the best defensive players in college football this season."

I would say lower than average bust rate. The guys that end up as busts are the guys whose natural athleticism lets them dominate in college, but doesnt require them to work hard. When they get to the pro's, the athleticism gap is much smaller.

"Brian Orakpo is as good of an athlete as I've ever coached," Mack Brown says.

I'm not saying that Orakpo won't be a good player but I would rather have someone with natural talent as opposed to someone who is a gifted athlete. He certainly is a physical speciman but that doesn't translate into a great DE.

During this offseason, he has become even more of a speciman with concentration on speed and strength for the combine. What happens during the season when he doesn't get a chance to workout as much but healing injuries and focusing on gameplan?

I think we already have a guy like this on our team and his name is Andre Carter.

I'd Tottaly agree with you if I actually felt we would use the additional pick on a NEED!!! Something tells me we wouldn't!!!

Last years picks made me wonder if Vinny was Picking or if Zorn hadn't watched enough of our last years Game film prior to the draft to address our needs!!!

With that 2nd pick when we shoulda went DE and took the TE instead. Just another year of neglecting the Line!!!

We desperately needed more targets for Campbell to throw to so I don't mind the picks from last year. If we're sitting here having this same conversation in 2010 I'll be upset. But I still have faith in our young receivers. They almost never come out and set the league on fire in their rookie seasons.

"Brian Orakpo is as good of an athlete as I've ever coached," Mack Brown says.

I'm not saying that Orakpo won't be a good player but I would rather have someone with natural talent as opposed to someone who is a gifted athlete. He certainly is a physical speciman but that doesn't translate into a great DE.

During this offseason, he has become even more of a speciman with concentration on speed and strength for the combine. What happens during the season when he doesn't get a chance to workout as much but healing injuries and focusing on gameplan?

I think we already have a guy like this on our team and his name is Andre Carter.

Can you specify between "natural talent" and "gifted athlete"? :whoknows:

Most gifted athletes have natural talent. They arent mutually exclusive qualities.

I am not impressed by his workout numbers one bit.

Sure, he's healthy. I'd love to have him if I ran a moving business.

But he's a good pass rusher at best. I wouldn't mind him at all if he could pitch in, but I'm not going to fall for the guy because he benches or squats a ton, and that you can barely pinch his skin.

I say this bcos after looking at all the Mock drafts and me wondering why majority of them have us taking this kid, I started thinking a little bit more. This kid might be the best value at a valuable position where you can never have too many plyers. Now I know OT is a dire need as well, the point is should we be reaching if this kid is available, for Tackles not rated that high and close in comparison to this years 2nd tier tackles.

Now, there is one sticky point with Orakpo, that he could turn out to be another workout warrior like Gohlston even though his body of work in college is more developed than Gohlston and he is a straight football player. Also that he might have maxed out his potential and there is no further room for him to grow or develop physically while he still will need to develop his pass rushing skill set instead of relying on the bull rush like I have seen him do in most games.

My point is this, if no top tier guys like Curry or Monroe or Co. fall to us and we can not trade down, we might be picking Orakpo bcos he does provide best value for that spot and will be better than reaching for good but not great Tackles

the more I read and see about this kid the more I like him for value at #13, he is a freak of nature and a straight play-maker ... and I am beginning to wonder if he is a less risky pick than any of the big 4 OL'man?. His game day plays tell his true potential IMO. He is versatile enough to play DE in a 4-3 or OLB in a 3-4 ... essentially the same thing as he would be primarily a pass rusher.

This guy looks likes he is ready to contribute on day one, or at least push our veterans for playing time.

The question is though, if we can trade down to a low 1st and a 2nd (or 3 2nd's), do we skip drafting him for more picks? Should be interesting.

Can you specify between "natural talent" and "gifted athlete"? :whoknows:

Most gifted athletes have natural talent. They arent mutually exclusive qualities.

I guess as a comparison we could use Charles Mann and Dexter Manley as an example. From an athletic point of view, one could argue that Charles Mann would be the better DE. He was probably faster than Dexter, looked stronger, and had probably the intangibles you would want. However, Dexter was by far the better DE at least IMHO. He simply was meant to rush the quarterback.

Another example is Peyton Manning vs Ryan Leaf. Of course, there's a lot more to playing quarterback than being a DE (like having your head on straight).

I realize you need to judge someone based on skill sets like 40 time, bench press, etc. That's not to say that Orapko won't be a great player but I really hope we get a DE, who simply has a knack for getting to the qb. I'm weary about a guy who is 250lbs and was 210lbs coming into college.

Archived