Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Don't be shocked if we do select Brian Orapko DE Texas

killerbee99

He is versatile enough to play DE in a 4-3 or OLB in a 3-4 ... essentially the same thing as he would be primarily a pass rusher.

You mean, essentially the same position as Andre Carter. He could do weakside DE in a 4-3, which is what he did in college, and is what Carter does. Or he could do OLB in a 3-4.

I say this bcos after looking at all the Mock drafts and me wondering why majority of them have us taking this kid, I started thinking a little bit more. This kid might be the best value at a valuable position where you can never have too many plyers. Now I know OT is a dire need as well, the point is should we be reaching if this kid is available, for Tackles not rated that high and close in comparison to this years 2nd tier tackles.

Now, there is one sticky point with Orakpo, that he could turn out to be another workout warrior like Gohlston even though his body of work in college is more developed than Gohlston and he is a straight football player. Also that he might have maxed out his potential and there is no further room for him to grow or develop physically while he still will need to develop his pass rushing skill set instead of relying on the bull rush like I have seen him do in most games.

My point is this, if no top tier guys like Curry or Monroe or Co. fall to us and we can not trade down, we might be picking Orakpo bcos he does provide best value for that spot and will be better than reaching for good but not great Tackles

I like this kid.

Just so you will know, I have stated that there is a 100% chance that the Redskins will not be picking at #13. Danny and Vinnie will be trading D-O-W-N.

That percentage of chance is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT. (go put some money on it)

And what if Danny and Vinnie can't find a trading partner? You have to actually have something that another team really wants for them to move up. Trades generally happen right before a team picks because it depends on who has fallen, who is off the board, etc. You can't just say "100% we trade down". Doesn't really work like that.

I will be shocked if we take him since he will be gone by #20. The Redskins will trade down and not be picking at #13. This team has too many holes to fill and not enough draft picks.

Its mandatory that they trade down. Vinnie and Danny have no choice. Everything you hear about taking this offensive tackle or this defensive end at #13 is posturing so they can get a great deal from the trade.

And what if Danny and Vinnie can't find a trading partner? You have to actually have something that another team really wants for them to move up. Trades generally happen right before a team picks because it depends on who has fallen, who is off the board, etc. You can't just say "100% we trade down". Doesn't really work like that.

There is a trading partner for virtually every pick in the draft, especially in the FIRST round. Its only a matter of how much is being offered to move up.

Sure, the Skins would love to have somebody offer them a low first round pick and a 2nd round pick for their #13, but I don't think that will happen. However, an alternative, in my opinion, is that the Skins will trade out from 13, pick up a 3rd round pick, and move down perhaps to 20-25.

Then, from there its anybodys guess. The Skins could sit still with a first round pick and go into the 3rd round with 2 choices, or they could trade that first found pick for a 2nd round pick and a 3rd....

ending up with a 2nd round pick and THREE 3rd round picks. There are always quality players available in the 3rd round and the Skins have a lot of older/injured vets to begin replacing. Jansen, Thomas, Kendall, Daniels, Griffin, Springs, Washington, London Fletcher, Jason Taylor, and Fabini. Not one of these guys will ever see 30 again. Not to mention that even though he just re-did his contract, Andre Carter is no Hall of Famer and he is 30 also.

The popular belief among die hard Redskins cultists is that we are always just ONE player away from the Superbowl, so the #13 pick will save the day. The FACTS are that this team is not even close to ONE player away and even if they were, a ROOKIE rarely ever saves a team anyway.

Esepcially since the Redskins always sit back and let rookies waste away on the bench for the first year. No no my friend, like I have said.

100% guarantee that the Redskins will NOT draft the 13th player.

Mel Kiper said that "He would look perfect in a Redskins uniform" or something like that. He thinks its a good fit. I am for the pick just as long as he is actually big enough to play in the scheme, and Mayock says that, unlock Brown and Maybin, he is is capable of playing in a 4-3. We'll see.

This pick makes a lot of financial sense because it would allow us to cut Jason Taylor and use that 8 million elsewhere. The FO has to be thinking the same thing especially since there won't be a cap hit from getting rid of him. Assuming Orakpo could contribute fairly early, a rotation of him and Evans would probably match the production of Taylor at a lower cost.

On an interesting side note, this is a weird draft. Everyone is overrating offensive tackles for some reason, maybe a response to last years draft. The number 1 defensive end and the number 1 running back are predicted by most to go in the mid teens at the earliest despite being as talented as top ten picks from a year ago. It works out nicely for the Redskins, I can't think that they will often get the chance to draft the highest rated defensive end in the draft without finishing 5-11 or worse.

There is a trading partner for virtually every pick in the draft, especially in the FIRST round. Its only a matter of how much is being offered to move up.

Sure, the Skins would love to have somebody offer them a low first round pick and a 2nd round pick for their #13, but I don't think that will happen. However, an alternative, in my opinion, is that the Skins will trade out from 13, pick up a 3rd round pick, and move down perhaps to 20-25.

Then, from there its anybodys guess. The Skins could sit still with a first round pick and go into the 3rd round with 2 choices, or they could trade that first found pick for a 2nd round pick and a 3rd....

ending up with a 2nd round pick and THREE 3rd round picks. There are always quality players available in the 3rd round and the Skins have a lot of older/injured vets to begin replacing. Jansen, Thomas, Kendall, Daniels, Griffin, Springs, Washington, London Fletcher, Jason Taylor, and Fabini. Not one of these guys will ever see 30 again. Not to mention that even though he just re-did his contract, Andre Carter is no Hall of Famer and he is 30 also.

The popular belief among die hard Redskins cultists is that we are always just ONE player away from the Superbowl, so the #13 pick will save the day. The FACTS are that this team is not even close to ONE player away and even if they were, a ROOKIE rarely ever saves a team anyway.

Esepcially since the Redskins always sit back and let rookies waste away on the bench for the first year. No no my friend, like I have said.

Do you seriously just copy and paste your posts from other threads? Your crystal ball thing was sort of funny at first, but seriously...give it a rest. You have no more clue than any of us what the Skins will be doing or will be able to do come draft day.

I see your point, but you can't guarantee anything. The fact of the matter is, that if one of the elite players of this draft falls to them at 13 Cerrato will draft him. I don't know how likely it is that this will happen, probably not at all since there are only a handful of elite players this year and 13 is a bit late for that.

Honestly, it wouldn't be a terrible thing if the Redskins actually stuck with 13 and got one of the best and most promising players at his position in the draft. This team also needs an infusion of talent at a lot of positions. and that's much more likely to come if we actually draft in the first half of the first round.

Just so you will know, I have stated that there is a 100% chance that the Redskins will not be picking at #13. Danny and Vinnie will be trading D-O-W-N.

That percentage of chance is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT. (go put some money on it)

While I don't think it's 100%, I do believe that we trade down.

This pick makes a lot of financial sense because it would allow us to cut Jason Taylor and use that 8 million elsewhere. The FO has to be thinking the same thing especially since there won't be a cap hit from getting rid of him. Assuming Orakpo could contribute fairly early, a rotation of him and Evans would probably match the production of Taylor at a lower cost.

On an interesting side note, this is a weird draft. Everyone is overrating offensive tackles for some reason, maybe a response to last years draft. The number 1 defensive end and the number 1 running back are predicted by most to go in the mid teens at the earliest despite being as talented as top ten picks from a year ago. It works out nicely for the Redskins, I can't think that they will often get the chance to draft the highest rated defensive end in the draft without finishing 5-11 or worse.

very much agree here

• 2 months later...

Archived