Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Don't be shocked if we do select Brian Orapko DE Texas

killerbee99

you don't draft a 260 pound DE to play in a 4-3 unless you are ready to put Carter on the bench or release him.

the Redskins if anything need a bigger DE who can stop the run AND rush the passer on the opposite side of Carter.

it seems clear that Carter is a semi-bust. He is a guy that in some seasons can be a real contributor (2002 and 2007) and put up the sack totals, and then there are years (2006 and 2008) where he just disappears completely.

it's rough when Carter with his production turns out to be the 'class' of the 2006 free agent bonanza.

all those dollars wasted on bums.

Archuleta. Brandon Lloyd. Antawn Randl El. Carter.

The Redskins would have been a lot better off keeping the picks they gave to San Francisco and spending the money on the other players elsewhere.

you don't draft a 260 pound DE to play in a 4-3 unless you are ready to put Carter on the bench or release him.

Or unless you know he can add some weight to his frame and still be the same athlete. That's the big question with Orakpo. He may be a great DE/OLB in the league, but like I said earlier, I don't think he's the best fit for us.

all those dollars wasted on bums.

Carter is certainly not a bum. He's overpaid for sure, but he's done at least a decent job for us. The other guys on that list classify as bums.

Carter is probably best described as mediocre.

You're on Rich. No way Orakpo is top 5 taken in the draft.:)

Don't want to hinder the bet in any way. But I couldn't resist...

Cleveland is strongly looking at a pass-rushing OLB at pick #5. Leading candidates are Brown and Orakpo.

WR? Only if Crabtree falls.

RB? I don't think any of the RB's will even go in the top 10. Beanie has injury history, Moreno has people worried about a system RB.

QB? Not with Quinn on the roster.

LT? They have the elite LT of the future with Joe Thomas

RT? Convention dictates you don't draft a player to be a RT in the top 10.

OG? Usually don't draft one in the top 20.

C? Same as OG.

DT? Don't need Raji, they have Rogers.

DE? No top 10 3-4 DE's in the draft.

CB? Jenkins is a possibility, but a good pass-rush turns bad corners good.

ILB? Maybe, but Maualuga is borderline top10. And if Rogers is on fire, they ain't running up the middle.

SS? Not in the top 10, they have Jones whose young, good against the run, and a playmaker

FS? Not in the top 10, but Pool is young and improving.

OLB? Wimbley has been a disappointment, and the other OLB is ****** 37 years old.

Carter is certainly not a bum. He's overpaid for sure, but he's done at least a decent job for us. The other guys on that list classify as bums.

Carter is probably best described as mediocre.

I'm a fan of Carter, I think he's underrated in this forum. He's not a locker-room problem, a team player. He also just restructured his contract (him and ARE), so it's less of a cap hit.

Just wondering how he fits into Blache's scheme. Will Blache use him as a pass rusher? Or will it be more of the same "stop the run first"?

Hopefully Blache and the Redskins FO have a good idea of what they're planning to do with Orapko if they end up drafting him.

Also, hopefully he'll overcome his frequent knee injuries.

I'm a fan of Carter, I think he's underrated in this forum. He's not a locker-room problem, a team player. He also just restructured his contract (him and ARE), so it's less of a cap hit.

I think he's over villified as well, but he has also been a disappointment when you look at how much he's bad.

The restructuring doesn't earn him any extra accolades, though. It's to his benefit. (And the team's)

I don't necessarily think Jackson will be a better player than Orakpo, but I think he's a good fit for us.

Trading down will net us another pick on top of a later first rounder that we'd use on Jackson. Another pick lets us address another need.

I'm a firm believer in Phillip Daniels being a huge reason why Andre Carter had ten sacks last year. PD was able to collapse the pocket from the outside in and force the QB into Andre Carter's grasp. With no PD this year, Carter struggled.

Personally, I'm not sure PD has what it takes anymore at his age and with the type of injury he had last year, to have the same impact that he did previously. But Jackson is a PD mold. Big (6'4" 275) horse DE that should be able to move a pocket. He's a very nice fit for us.

You know...I was gonna bold the portions of this quote that I liked, but realized I liked it all.

Oh and Tyson Jackson is bigger than 275, he's like 290-295, which is PD size. And the more I think about it, our team has to draft based on our division as well. Our division will always be competitive, and it has certain traits, such as big lineman. Cowgirls and Eagles like the big guys.

For example, Alphonso Smith is one of my top rated CB's in this draft, but he won't work in certain divisions due to his size. If we get a strong side DE, we need him to perform well in our division, which means bigger than normal. Maybe a DE that can play in either the 3-4 or 4-3 at DE is just what we need since our division commands it.

I just had the most retarded idea ever, trade down for picks 20 and 33 with lions, get Peria Jerry and Tyson Jackson...can anybody say, "The pocket didn't just collapse, it never existed."

I wouldn't be surprised at all. I was reading a blog on espn and whoever the Redskins official was in the interview said they were watching a lot of film on Orakpo, Maybin and Oher, more than any other prospects.

Say it ain't so! He's rumored to be 10 pounds lighter than what he's listed at...that puts him in the 230's! Dear god, our LBers are bigger than him...Brandon Jacobs would eat his soul and still be hungry.

Say it ain't so! He's rumored to be 10 pounds lighter than what he's listed at...that puts him in the 230's! Dear god, our LBers are bigger than him...Brandon Jacobs would eat his soul and still be hungry.

If we're looking at Maybin at all, I would say it would be as either an OLB or a pass rusher. Not as a DE.

If we're looking at Maybin at all, I would say it would be as either an OLB or a pass rusher. Not as a DE.

It has to be, he would be like a rag doll playing strong-side DE. But he's best suited towards OLB in a 3-4. I think he has some experience at Penn State in dropping back in coverage, but to expect him to guard the TE often in a 4-3?

Found it:

"I talked to at least one man at Redskins Park who has watched a ton of film on Ole Miss offensive tackle Michael Oher. When Chris Samuels went down with a season-ending injury, the team's running game virtually disappeared. You have to create some more depth on the offensive line. On defense, you can't afford to go into '09 with aging pass rushers. The Jason Taylor trade turned out to be a bust. There's no way you bring him back. I think the Redskins are spending a ton of time identifying the top pass rushers in the draft right now. Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo is a guy the Redskins really like. I'm also hearing that Penn State OLB/DE Aaron Maybin is someone the Redskins have spent a ton of time on."

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-8-39/Mosley-s-Mini-Mailbag.html

"I talked to at least one man at Redskins Park ... I think the Redskins are spending a ton of time identifying the top pass rushers in the draft right now. Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo is a guy the Redskins really like. I'm also hearing that Penn State OLB/DE Aaron Maybin is someone the Redskins have spent a ton of time on."

...ugh...

It seems like we're hell bent on getting a pass rusher, since we seem to be focusing on Orakpo and Maybin.

The fact that we're considering lightweight DEs who focus on Pass Rush leads me to believe that either Taylor is gone, or he's moving to OLB (which I would approve of). Daniels would than either be rotated with one of the speed rushers, or shift inside, which would also be fine.

I'm just saying, if we're going to consider lightweight DEs, we may as well throw Everette Brown into the mix. He played in as many games as Maybin but had more sacks and TFLs than Orakpo and Maybin. Just saying.

I was primarily against getting one of these lighter DEs- especially considering our glaring holes at OLB and especially at RT. I still think we'd be foolish to pass on of the big 4 tackles, but if these guys pan out and can give us a consistent pass rush, it'll be worth it.

There's no doubt in my mind though, that if either Maybin, Orakpo, and Brown were to come here and put up solid numbers, that we'd be an elite Defense. This would only open things up for Carter and, if he's here, Taylor.

];6133086']It seems like we're hell bent on getting a pass rusher' date=' since we seem to be focusing on Orakpo and Maybin.

The fact that we're considering lightweight DEs who focus on Pass Rush leads me to believe that either Taylor is gone, or he's moving to OLB (which I would approve of). Daniels would than either be rotated with one of the speed rushers, or shift inside, which would also be fine.

I'm just saying, if we're going to consider lightweight DEs, we may as well throw Everette Brown into the mix. He played in as many games as Maybin but had more sacks and TFLs than Orakpo and Maybin. Just saying.

I was primarily against getting one of these lighter DEs- especially considering our glaring holes at OLB and especially at RT. I still think we'd be foolish to pass on of the big 4 tackles, but if these guys pan out and can give us a consistent pass rush, it'll be worth it.

There's no doubt in my mind though, that if either Maybin, Orakpo, and Brown were to come here and put up solid numbers, that we'd be an elite Defense. This would only open things up for Carter and, if he's here, Taylor.[/quote']

Everette Brown is a cold beast. I would love if he came to the Redskins.

Archived