Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Predictions on who we cut?

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

I'd say Thrash, Washington, Taylor and Daniels. I see a lot of posts about cutting Springs, but I really don't think this will happen unless we are able to re-sign Deangelo Hall. Imagine our secondary without Hall, Springs and an unhappy Carlos Rogers. So before we cut Springs, we better be sure we can lock up Hall.

The thing is: This is a football team, not an accounting spreadsheet, or computer simulator. I am not saying that as an insult, just a fact.

These guys all know each other, trust each other, have chemistry with each other etc. Daniels has done everything he has ever been asked to do, and has given it his all for the Redskins. He had a season ending injury last year while playing (not in some nightclub incident that let the team down). Your assessment may be spot on: on all accounts, but you have to give him a chance. He has been busting his ass off in rehab to re-join the team and you cannot simply throw him away like a piece of trash to go sign some shiny bobble in FA and not expect the other players to take notice and adjust their outlook/ attitude accordingly.

"Hmmm... Is this what they will do to me?"

If you are right and he is done, then it will show on the field during pre-season and the other players will understand when he is let go.

I would not be surprised if he does earn a spot on the roster as at least a backup at DE and DT. I would also not be surprised if he is not recovered from the injury and after given a chance is let go.

Guys like Taylor, Fabini etc: We saw what you can do and we ar elooking to upgrade. But Daniels needs at least a looksie on the field unless there is an obvious medical problem.

What would be so bad about letting Evans go FA and getting a compensation pick for him? He is decent, but we have already gotten all the upside out of him IMO. Him and Kendall.... Please sign a contract with another team.
Again, good teams don't do things like this.

When old guys get hurt on teams like the Eagles, Colts, or Patriots, they're gone.

Willie McGinest breaking down and not doing the job like he used to for the longest time for the Patriots? He's out the door and they keep on winning games and nearly win another Super Bowl.

Booger McFarland comes in and has a solid year for the Colts, helps them win the Super Bowl? Then he's out once he hurts his knee and the Colts just keep on going.

Simeon Rice, once a huge part of the Bucs' original Tampa 2, starts to slow down and eventually goes out with a shoulder injury, and they ask him to either play for vet min or hit the road. He ends up hitting the road and they make the playoffs the year after, and nearly make it this past year as well.

Kearse isn't doing his job anymore for the Eagles? They get rid of him and make the NFC title game.

Those are just a few examples of good locker room guys, solid players for their units and team, who failed to keep performing and were out of the picture, only for their former team to at the minimum, keep going at that level, if not get better and younger overall.

When you're in the NFL, playing pro football, you KNOW every game, and especially every season, could be your last. Daniels isn't 26, he's 36. And he's coming off a torn ACL. How much explosion is he really going to have at this point? We're going to be paying almost 3 million for a guy to sit on the bench because he's a "locker room" guy? It has nothing to do with being "thrown away like trash." It's about keeping the team young and competitive. Guys won't say, "well if he got cut, we could be next!" They'll understand he'll be almost 37 years old by the seasons' end and isn't nearly what he used to be, and that's the way it goes in professional sports, as harsh as that reality is sometimes.

Between guys like Fletcher and Carter (as well as Washington, Taylor and Griffin, but I think all three of those guys could very well end up cut), we're solid on locker room guys for the defense. Not to mention the coaches we have. And no known questionable guys outside of DeAngelo Hall, who Daniels wouldn't be able to shut up anyway if Hall decided to act up.

Also, you'd rather keep Daniels around, but let Evans walk? Evans can play the run just as well as Daniels at this point, he's been on the team for the past 5 years, and he even started a few games this past season and did just fine. Not to mention he's only 29 years old. And he actually can pressure the QB at times. We don't need some "shiny bobble FA," we can easily resign Evans for what we're paying Daniels and get more out of the position than we were before.

There is literally no real benefit we get out of keeping Daniels around other than making it a feel good story out of respect for the guy.

Everyone on the team is expendable except for Red Snapper.
Huh?
I dont understand why everyone wants to see Daniels go. He isn't costing us that much and he's our biggest DE. A quality guy in the locker room....
I think for maybe other than two other people here, for the most part everybody was sticking to the threads title question and predicting who the team will cut.

Also, that saying "a quality guy in the locker room", no offense but I really believe that that saying is getting kind of over used by fans. I mean really, how can we as fans actually know how much of a locker room guy a player really is?

We need to get younger and in better cap shape for the future. We need to lose as many guys as applicable regarding the cap situation who have gotten too long in the tooth for the money/production. Many of them have been mentioned already.

I happen to like the S Green though. He's not expensive, played well I thought especially in coverage.

Funny how these threads always turn out the same. The initial theme of the thread is "predict" the cuts. As in, what do you expect the guys in control to do.

Meanwhile, by post 5 people start arguing things out as if they're actually in the front office making these decisions.

Like most, I'm saying what SHOULD happen, rather than predicting what will happen.

If it were me, the following would be cut:

Washington

Springs

Daniels

Taylor

Griffin

Jansen

Though I would see if there's any trade market first. Taylor might re-coup something and there's an outside shot you could get a 7th for Springs or Griffin. But, assuming they won't fetch anything, I'd cut them. And I'd probably offer Daniels the vet minimum to re-sign after he's cut.

For the record...

According to this site, as of 11/12/08, this is our list of free agents. Free agency begins February 27.

http://www.theredzone.org/2009/freeagents/showteam.asp?Team=Redskins

Ethan Albright LS UFA Redskins

Shaun Alexander RB UFA Redskins

Khary Campbell OLB UFA Redskins

Phillip Daniels DE UFA Redskins

Reed Doughty S RFA Redskins

Demetric Evans DE UFA Redskins

Jason Fabini OG UFA Redskins

Alfred Fincher OLB UFA Redskins

Justin Geisinger OG RFA Redskins

Kedric Golston DT RFA Redskins

Mike Green S UFA Redskins

DeAngelo Hall CB UFA Redskins

Pete Kendall OG UFA Redskins

Anthony Montgomery DT RFA Redskins

Shaun Suisham PK RFA Redskins

I'd bring back Golston, Montgomery, Hall and Kendall (as a backup). Maybe Albright though I prefer to use the roster spot on a guy who can do more than long snap. The rest I'd let walk.

I'd cut...

Thrash - Not an option at wideout anymore and he's not quite the special teamer he used to be.

Washington - Aging, often injured and not the same guy he was a few years ago.

Springs - Still a good player but he misses too much time with injuries.

Griffin - Another guy who is still decent but too expensive for what he provides.

Jansen - Long overrated and overpaid, now he's completely washed up.

As far as Jason Taylor goes, with what he cost in terms of draft picks and the fact that I think if used correctly he could still rush the passer, I'd probably try to keep him. Though I really don't trust Blanche to use him properly.

I'd bring back Golston, Montgomery, Hall and Kendall (as a backup). Maybe Albright though I prefer to use the roster spot on a guy who can do more than long snap.

The Long Snapper is the guy you only notice when he's not there. How many times do you hear Albright's name called? That's reason enough to keep him at least one more year. It's a position that every single team realizes is important.

The Long Snapper is the guy you only notice when he's not there. How many times do you hear Albright's name called? That's reason enough to keep him at least one more year. It's a position that every single team realizes is important.

I agree it's important but with the limitations on how many active players you can have, I rather have someone who could at least play backup center as the long snapper.

I agree it's important but with the limitations on how many active players you can have, I rather have someone who could at least play backup center as the long snapper.

Understandable. But you should notice that really every team has someone who is just a LS. Partly due to the importance of the position and because you wouldn't want to have your LS getting hurt doing something else. And partly because it's just turned into such a specialized skill.

Again, I'm with you on the spirit of your idea, but really every team has a LS on their roster who doesn't do anything else now.

Instead of cutting a bunch of guys I would like to seem some redo their contracts

Move Springs to FS and add4 or 4 years to his deal

Washington should redo his deal based on playing time

Daniels I would resign as he can play both DE and DT

I would only cut Griff if we can not get a great DT

I had actually forgotten that Daniels was still on the roster. He'll get a chance in camp, then be cut during preseason or something. The guys who I think will get the ax before that: Springs, Washington, Griffin, Fabini. Taylor will be retained, hopefully with a restructured deal. Kendall's days are numbered, but they'll try to ride him into the ground.

Instead of cutting a bunch of guys I would like to seem some redo their contracts

This made sense before the emergence of Horton. But now? Better off cutting him loose if it makes sense financially.

Cut Springs, Washington, Griffin, Taylor, Fabini, Green, Jansen, Kendall and Thrash all are expandable this team needs to get younger and cheaper. Sign Hall and make an attempt at Haynesworth or Julius Peppers and an OLB fill the rest during the draft.

I honestly don't know who we are going to cut especially when we have Vinny Cerato running the front office. I know they like to keep seasoned veterans on the roster because they think they have "one more" go at it, so I am very pessimistic on our roster this season.

To answer your question, I am only going to take an educated stab at this and go with my gut feeling on who "SHOULD" be cut, but they may not be based on our genius of a front office:

C. Griffin

M. Washington

S. Springs

P. Daniels

J. Jansen

P. Kendall (Unless he can actually go for ONE MORE YEAR)

J. Taylor

S. Suisham

Hopeful to get cut:

R. Plackimeyer

I honestly don't know who we are going to cut especially when we have Vinny Cerato running the front office. I know they like to keep seasoned veterans on the roster because they think they have "one more" go at it, so I am very pessimistic on our roster this season.

To answer your question, I am only going to take an educated stab at this and go with my gut feeling on who "SHOULD" be cut, but they may not be based on our genius of a front office:

C. Griffin

M. Washington

S. Springs

P. Daniels

J. Jansen

P. Kendall (Unless he can actually go for ONE MORE YEAR)

J. Taylor

S. Suisham

Hopeful to get cut:

R. Plackimeyer

Kendall and Suisham are FAs and thus can't be cut. Jansen costs more to cut than to keep so to cut him out of hand makes no sense. Why would you want to cut Plack out of hand? Right now, you'd only cut people who'll save you money under the cap and you KNOW that you can replace the player with a better player. You also would want to cut ties with cancers.

I'm pretty sure that's what's going to happen. Washington might be the only player I see getting cut and not coming back. Actually Springs might not come back after being cut as well. If he does come back he definitely won't sign a four-year deal. Also I think our FO is afraid to cut Taylor.

Archived