Brandon Lloyd Christmas

lavar leap?

Why?

For starters:

Fabini

Washington

I think we try to trade Taylor

Jansen we pretty much have to keep.

Griffith we will wait to see if we get a FA or draft a DT in round 1.

Later:

They will at least give Daniels a chance to prove he can play. Bad for morale if they do not after an injury. He could make the team IMO.

Green

Rabach (if we draft a C)

Thrash

Plack

Suish

Rock - sorry BLondie, but this cat used up all of his nine lives here.

For the record...

According to this site, as of 11/12/08, this is our list of free agents. Free agency begins February 27.

http://www.theredzone.org/2009/freeagents/showteam.asp?Team=Redskins

Ethan Albright LS UFA Redskins

Shaun Alexander RB UFA Redskins

Khary Campbell OLB UFA Redskins

Phillip Daniels DE UFA Redskins

Reed Doughty S RFA Redskins

Demetric Evans DE UFA Redskins

Jason Fabini OG UFA Redskins

Alfred Fincher OLB UFA Redskins

Justin Geisinger OG RFA Redskins

Kedric Golston DT RFA Redskins

Mike Green S UFA Redskins

DeAngelo Hall CB UFA Redskins

Pete Kendall OG UFA Redskins

Anthony Montgomery DT RFA Redskins

Shaun Suisham PK RFA Redskins

For the record...

According to this site, as of 11/12/08, this is our list of free agents. Free agency begins February 27.

http://www.theredzone.org/2009/freeagents/showteam.asp?Team=Redskins

Ethan Albright LS UFA Redskins

Shaun Alexander RB UFA Redskins

Khary Campbell OLB UFA Redskins

Phillip Daniels DE UFA Redskins

Reed Doughty S RFA Redskins

Demetric Evans DE UFA Redskins

Jason Fabini OG UFA Redskins

Alfred Fincher OLB UFA Redskins

Justin Geisinger OG RFA Redskins

Kedric Golston DT RFA Redskins

Mike Green S UFA Redskins

DeAngelo Hall CB UFA Redskins

Pete Kendall OG UFA Redskins

Anthony Montgomery DT RFA Redskins

Shaun Suisham PK RFA Redskins

Strategically, Hall is the closest to a "must sign" as we have on that list. Even if we fail to re-sign him we should be setup for a nice COMP pick in 2010 draft (3rd) for losing him.

The only other player that I might possibly rather have than a comp pick would be DT Montgomery. I hope Kendall and Evans are offered decent contracts by another team so maybe we can get picks for them. The rest.... Doughty is good for ST and a backup. Daniels, Fincher and Geisenger can compete for a spot and will not get enough interest from other teams for a COMP pick, so may as well sign them.

Why?

They will at least give Daniels a chance to prove he can play. Bad for morale if they do not after an injury. He could make the team IMO.

Daniels would make the team only because our depth at DE isn't actually good, and our scheme is just "stop the run, never pressure the QB." That's not a good thing at all.

Daniels would somehow become a starter because our d-line actually sucks.

Any seriously competitive team (Eagles, Patriots, Colts, Ravens, Titans, etc.) with great defenses, would have given Daniels the boot already, but especially now.

Guys that need to go:

Daniels

Washington

Springs

Griffin's probably up there, but I don't know if we'll actually go out and find some DT help like we need to, so we might just keep him because we're too incompetent to actually fix that position.

Washington sounds like he's gone for sure from the reports that have come out. I'd expect to see Springs gone as well. I hope Taylor and Daniels get the ax as well.

I would like to see us take a look at Mike Furrey, who the Lions just cut. Could be a good depth guy at WR, solid in possesion and great route running. He's like a poor man's Wes Welker.

I would like these people to be cut:

Hall-overrated and therefore will be overpaid

Springs-good, but getting old and costs a lot

Suisham-do I need to explain this?!

Washington-sounds like he's already gone

I would like these people signed:

Gross

Bodden

Accordingly, I would like DT and LB to be the first two Redskin picks in the draft.

I just hope that we keep D. Hall. I have heard some experts really hammer him, but I have to say that when he came here he had done nothing but a great job IMO. In terms of cuts, it is so hard sometimes to predict because of the cap numbers and that it becomes a numbers game. I think that Marcus Washington will more than likely cut because of susceptibilty to being injured. Anyone else, it could be a real toss up.

Daniels, because he's old and coming off of a bad injury.

Washington, doesn't stay healthy, we need a play maker that can blitz from that spot.

Springs, seldom healthy, though very good when he is(rarely)

Yoder, just to save some money

Thrash, Should have been gone last season

Green, Garbage former seahag

Suisham, bum

I actually think Plack will stay

I dont understand why everyone wants to see Daniels go. He isn't costing us that much and he's our biggest DE. A quality guy in the locker room....
It's nothing personal against the guy.

But he'll be well over 36 by the time the season starts, coming off an ACL tear, and at this point he's just a run stopping DE.

We need guys that can get after the QB while playing the run. Daniels couldn't do that BEFORE he tore his knee up.

He'll cost us about 3 million next year, not a lot, but there's no point in keeping that on the books when it's not getting us anything.

I mean honestly- is he going to start? Hopefully no, because if he does, we'll have a 36 year old DE coming off a bad leg injury starting on our line. That's a crappy situation for any serious d-line in the NFL.

If he's a backup, we're paying a guy 3 million to ride the pine most snaps during a game, which is a waste.

Besides, what do we really need him for at this point? He went down this year and our run defense was just fine without him. Honestly, does anybody not believe Demetric Evans couldn't do exactly what Daniels does? Except Evans can actually get some QB pressure sometimes as well.

Smart, good teams don't keep guys like that around in that situation. As long as the salary cap is around, the NFL and managing a team is a business, and that means getting the best value for the guys under your cap while you can. Daniels doesn't fit into that criteria, so he should be gone.

It's nothing personal against the guy.

But he'll be well over 36 by the time the season starts, coming off an ACL tear, and at this point he's just a run stopping DE.

We need guys that can get after the QB while playing the run. Daniels couldn't do that BEFORE he tore his knee up.

He'll cost us about 3 million next year, not a lot, but there's no point in keeping that on the books when it's not getting us anything.

I mean honestly- is he going to start? Hopefully no, because if he does, we'll have a 36 year old DE coming off a bad leg injury starting on our line. That's a crappy situation for any serious d-line in the NFL.

If he's a backup, we're paying a guy 3 million to ride the pine most snaps during a game, which is a waste.

Besides, what do we really need him for at this point? He went down this year and our run defense was just fine without him. Honestly, does anybody not believe Demetric Evans couldn't do exactly what Daniels does? Except Evans can actually get some QB pressure sometimes as well.

Smart, good teams don't keep guys like that around in that situation. As long as the salary cap is around, the NFL and managing a team is a business, and that means getting the best value for the guys under your cap while you can. Daniels doesn't fit into that criteria, so he should be gone.

The thing is: This is a football team, not an accounting spreadsheet, or computer simulator. I am not saying that as an insult, just a fact.

These guys all know each other, trust each other, have chemistry with each other etc. Daniels has done everything he has ever been asked to do, and has given it his all for the Redskins. He had a season ending injury last year while playing (not in some nightclub incident that let the team down). Your assessment may be spot on: on all accounts, but you have to give him a chance. He has been busting his ass off in rehab to re-join the team and you cannot simply throw him away like a piece of trash to go sign some shiny bobble in FA and not expect the other players to take notice and adjust their outlook/ attitude accordingly.

"Hmmm... Is this what they will do to me?"

If you are right and he is done, then it will show on the field during pre-season and the other players will understand when he is let go.

I would not be surprised if he does earn a spot on the roster as at least a backup at DE and DT. I would also not be surprised if he is not recovered from the injury and after given a chance is let go.

Guys like Taylor, Fabini etc: We saw what you can do and we ar elooking to upgrade. But Daniels needs at least a looksie on the field unless there is an obvious medical problem.

Archived