Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When to resign Jason Campbell?

DGREENHULK

I've been giving this some thought..When is the right time to resign JC? For some of us the answer is never but think about it. If he has a great season in his second year under Zorn and a rebuilt O line he will then comand a huge contract at the end of 2009 to stay in D.C. What if we offer him a smaller contract early in the season if he does well...may save a buck two when it comes to signing FA's in 2010.

Thoughts?

Is that because of the whole CBA messup thing that makes everyone an RFA? I never understood that.
Yes, now that the CBA has been voted down, players must have 6 years experience to become UFA's. This is also important when discussing our young DT's, Golston and Montgomery.

edit: more specifically, now that the CBA "extension" has been voted down, it reverts to the old CBA, which is where the 6 years accrued experience comes from

Exactly. It's an often over-looked point. He will still be a RFA' date=' which means we can give him a 1st and 3rd tender and pay him less than $3M.[/quote']

Great find!

But now I wonder why the Patriots didn't just do this for Matt Cassel if they expect Tom Brady back? $3M sounds a lot more appealing than the $15M he will be paid...

Great find!

But now I wonder why the Patriots didn't just do this for Matt Cassel if they expect Tom Brady back? $3M sounds a lot more appealing than the $15M he will be paid...

I think it's because it doesn't take effect until next offseason, so Cassel would be a UFA otherwise.

Great find!

But now I wonder why the Patriots didn't just do this for Matt Cassel if they expect Tom Brady back? $3M sounds a lot stmore appealing than the $15M he will be paid...

Well less teams are willing to part with 2 first rounders then a 1st and 3rd.

15mil is a lot though, he'll be making more then Brady.

It all depends on this year. If he regresses we start a search for another qb, but we can't just throw all of our eggs in with the CB train. The dude is a 6th round pick, and unless he gives us a great reason to count on him, we need to have another plan of action before letting JC walk altogether.

If he has an average year, or regresses then we start building a plan of attack and give him a one year tender (1st round only), which no team will give up for. If he has a great year, which I think he will, then we resign him to a long term deal. Either way, you can't just blindly release him and hope it works out.

I think next year is his last chance. He neds to make, or break... and even then, I would not sign him long term. Maybe a short, incentive laden contract.

While I beleive JC can remain a solid starter, there are question marks on his resume. If we address the line problems, I think some of this can be remedied... IF...

Cassel is a UFA not a RFA

Cassel is a designated franchise player. He would have become a UFA on Feb. 6th had the Patriots not put the franchise tag on him. Now he is non-exclusive meaning he can negotiate with other teams just like an UFA but the Patriots have the first right to match their offer and the other team has to give 2 first round picks.

We don't resign Jason until he's proven to us that he is our guy for the duruation of his career. If we see a big leap in his production next year and he continues to only get better in the 2010 season, I say give him the big contract that he's earned by that point. With QBs usually, it's not the best idea to jump the gun on them when it comes to signing them.

Archived