Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why the Steelers are hated...

redskins0756

Found this on another message board. I don't agree with his statement. I think why there is so much hate for the Steelers is because they "travel" so well. And part of that is because whenever they win their fan base seems to grow exponentially...

I just figured out why everyone hates the Steelers and manufactures excuses as to why they "pay the refs". Are you ready for this....???

People hate greatness. It's why Dallas is a hated team. It's why I hate the Patriots. It's one of about 6,000 reasons I hate the Ravens. It's the same reason the Yankees are hated. You could go on...people just don't like greatness. Obviously, I'm a Steelers fan, but it's clear that the Steelers are one of the best franchises in all of the NFL.

Harrison punching that guy and still staying in the game, various dirty plays, Ward...I can't stand that squad. Their fans are annoying.

I rooted for the Steelers back in 95 when they played the Boys. I don't know. There was something a bit more likeable about that squad.

I didn't root for the Broncos vs. Atlanta but I didn't outright hate them or the 94 Niners.

Some teams are cheap and dirty and get WAAY too much officiating help.

Yes, people DO envy greatness and they should admit that. But I didn't like the Steelers before they won. Besides the one flukey SB recently, it's not like they've been killing the league. Hell, I rooted for the Patriots in all of their SBs except the last one (even the 96 one.) So I'm not sure it's always about 'hating greatness.'

It can be. Sometimes (like the Ravens) it's about hating dirty a-holes.

I also always rooted for the Bulls (except when they played my Blazers) because I loved MJ (from when he first came into the league.) I know lots of cats rooted against him but there ARE popular teams that are well-liked around most of their league and its member cities.

I was rooting for the Cards as underdogs, but really do you think there is widespread hate for the Steelers? I don't see it. There is much more hate for OTHER dominant teams, like the Patirots and Yankees. To me, the Steelers still have that blue collar image that is hard to root against.

yea I hope he gets punched in the face then kicked in the junk for that. but I'm sure he won't and nobody will bring it up again :rolleyes:

I was going for the Cardnials also but you have to admit that guy held Harrison on almost every play.The guy grabbed Harrison around the neck the whole game and got called for holing one time.I say Harrison got tired of his antics and done some of his own.I don't blame Harrison at all for what he done.

Why hate the steelers? In particular if you choose to point out tonight of all nights? Wasn't it our own players earlier in the season that mentioned what punk-@$$ players the cards had?

If Im not mistaken, Heyer dropped Dockett on a Thomas TD because those guys were dirty. I'm not surprised the Steelers took some shots. Seriously, wasn't anybody else watching the same game as me? I thought from down 1 the Cards looked as low down and dirty as Portis and the rest described them. To me, they got their just desserts.

I was going for the Cardnials also but you have to admit that guy held Harrison on almost every play.The guy grabbed Harrison around the neck the whole game and got called for holing one time.I say Harrison got tired of his antics and done some of his own.I don't blame Harrison at all for what he done.

Mike Gandy got called, I think, 3 times for holding Harrison. And, to me, that doesn't give him any right to take out his frustrations on #47 like he did. That was inexcuseable. But I don't agree with Madden. I don't think he should have been tossed. Definitely dirty, though.

Mike Gandy got called, I think, 3 times for holding Harrison. And, to me, that doesn't give him any right to take out his frustrations on #47 like he did. That was inexcuseable. But I don't agree with Madden. I don't think he should have been tossed. Definitely dirty, though.

Yes it was dirty but Gandy was just as dirty by trying to tear Harrisons head off the whole game and I really think he was very frustrated by that.He should have went after Gandy but 47 was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

This hate because of greatness doesn't apply to me. I don't hate the Steelers. Even if I see a lot more Steelers stuff around than I do most other teams (besides the Redskins and Cowboys)

And while it's true that I didn't hate the Patriots until recent years (as in I didn't hate them before 2001) it's not specifically because they have won that I hate them although it very likely increases it. I hate them because of something I can't exactly describe properly a certain smugness. Something about Sir Thomas Brady and Bill Belicheat.

And the Cowboys? Me being a Redskins fan, no one better try to tell me that I hate the Cowboys because they are great. I would hate them if they had 0 championships and went 0-16 every year. It's like light and darkness. No matter what the two cannot be friends with each other. I hate them because I'm a Redskins fan, enough said.

I've grown to not root for (I don't hate them) the Steelers mostly because of the fans I've dealt with over the recent years.

They talk alot smack about how "great" the Steelers are but act as if the NFL didn't begin until the Super Bowl era. When I point out that the Skins have an overall winning record against the Steelers, that the Redskins were founded first as a franchise and most of all, that the Steelers were an NFL laughingstock for 50 years before they got any good, it just doesn't seem to register with them.

At least with Cowboy fans, their team was founded in 1960 so I can understand them only caring about the titles that their team had a chance to compete for (the Super Bowl era), but for Steeler fans to wilfully ignore the fact that for most of it's history their team sucked and sucked really bad and still act as if their franchise walks on water gets annoying.

But I don't agree with Madden. I don't think he should have been tossed. Definitely dirty, though.

ST got tossed for spitting in the playoffs. I don't see why he wouldn't get tossed for mugging that guy, and then doing it again.

Thats like if ST spit on Pittman and then broke out his junk and pissed on him to accentuate his point and then just get 15 yards.

I despise bandwagon franchises, of which there are three in the NFL: Dallas, LARaiders and Pittsburgh. These teams were all good in he 70s/80s and had marketable teams that people picked to cheer for because they were winning. There's not a whole lot of Raider "fans" right now, and when Kordell Stewart was stinking up the western part of PA, Steeler fans didn't travel as well as they do now. By winning last night, we're all given the pleasure of another generation of: "my uncle had a layover in Pittsburgh one time, that's why I'm a steeler fan".

Heck of a game though.

Archived