Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mel Kipers Mock Draft

Thirtyfive2seven

Ray or London?  

247 members have voted

1. 1. Ray or London?

I like the idea of trading down and somehow getting Alex Mack. Campbell had no pocket to step up into this year. C can't be an easy job, having to snap the ball and then get out of your stance into some big ugly's face.

People don't want Mack NOW because he is a center and we don't need a center just yet. But, he can play guard too and we depserately need guard, and next year he can step in as the full time center.

I think James Laurinatis is going to fall. If the first round goes with Maualuga and Curry being picked, I think we could pick up Laurinatis early in the second. I hope we can get a high second round and a middle second round with trades, and such. James Laurinatis, and a good OL. We get that, we can address DL in the third.

Fact of the matter remains.... we need a bigtime playmaker at LB. There is a reason Fletch hasn't been in the probowl. One... he's not a good pass rusher. I know MLB is the short-stop run stuffing type, but look at Laurinatis and Maualuga... they have AMAZING speed, and can rush the passer. Don't get me wrong, I love Fletch, and hope he retires a Redskin. There is still just that one reason he's always under the radar.

I think Rey Maualuga is going to struggle in the NFL. Not on the field, but off. Something about him screams Chris Henry to me.

Fletcher would be fine blitzing if our blitz schemes were worth a &@#$. He'd probably be real good at it if we did more and had a DT that consistently demands a double team.

People don't want Mack NOW because he is a center and we don't need a center just yet. But, he can play guard too and we depserately need guard, and next year he can step in as the full time center.

I'd dispute that all day long.

Center is as BIG an answer to fixing the O-Line problems as any tackle or gaurd. The rush up the middle collapsing the pocket will continue so long as we have someone as pitifully undersized as Rabach in the middle of the line.

It's all relative, and the need for O tackles and gaurds has it's merits of course, but nailing down the center position is a MAJOR part of fixing the line that needs to be addressed quickly. (Of course we'd still have an average pro QB behind him, but hey, one step at a time. ;).).

Hail.

what? I'm a huge UGA fan and have been a fan of Stafford's since before he was even in college. And I will be a fan of his in the NFL as well, but not as much if he goes to the Eagles, Giants, or Skins. lol

Sounds like someone is bitter about not having won a playoff game since 1996... :dallasuck

I think James Laurinatis is going to fall. If the first round goes with Maualuga and Curry being picked, I think we could pick up Laurinatis early in the second. I hope we can get a high second round and a middle second round with trades, and such. James Laurinatis, and a good OL. We get that, we can address DL in the third.

I agree. And "Vinny speak" on the draft is usually close to the mark. Last draft he also talked about trading down, talked about liking the depth at WR. He did talk O line too but by the time they picked in the 2nd all the stud lineman, first and 2nd tier guys were gone, and in some cases suprisingly so, none of the draft geeks picked Duane Brown for example as a first rounder. I bet Vinny thought with three picks he'd have a shot at him, I recall Brown was one of the players they said they liked. Not one OT was taken in the 2nd round by ANYBODY.

This time so far, he has talked about trading down, so I expect barring not finding a trading partner they will do so again. And so far he has talked O line and LB, he's talked some about the lack of pass rush with the team but maybe he's thinking FA becuase so far I don't recall reading any comments from him about D lineman in this draft.

I can see them thinking that if they trade down in the first or to early 2nd, they'd have a shot at a guy like Cushing and a guy like Loadhart or Robinson could drop to the 2nd, etc. I am guessing right now he's thinking he wants to end up with maybe the 6th or so best regarded linebacker and 7th best O lineman as opposed to lets say one player where he nails down he 4th best regarded lineman or the 2nd best linebacker.

Am gathering he wants TWO players coming out of the first two rounds, not one, even if they really like the one. Just a guess reading through Vinny speak.

Out of curiosity, who do you suspect the Lions will pick if they don't draft a QB?

Even if they are going with Kitna this year, wouldn't you still want a young QB to hold the clipboard for 1-2 seasons behind Kitna before starting?

I'm under the assumption that most scouts, and coaches feel that Matt Stafford is NFL ready much like Flacco, and Matt Ryan. I believe the Lions will also look at this kid similar. I see him starting day 1 if the Lions do take him.

So glad you aren't the GM:doh:

(not sarcasm)

And I think we are all happy you aren't the GM either, because you're so blinded by your mancruch on Raji that you totally discount any other options, such as the very likely possibility that he won't be there for our pick. Stop acting like you are perfect and start being a little more respectful, this constant writing off of other people's opinions is starting to get a little MSF-esque.

Out of curiosity, who do you suspect the Lions will pick if they don't draft a QB?

Even if they are going with Kitna this year, wouldn't you still want a young QB to hold the clipboard for 1-2 seasons behind Kitna before starting?

You have to rebuild that franchise from the foundation upwards and you start with the O-line or D-line. They take the best lineman available, which is Andre Smith, OT, Alabama. They win 3-4 games in 2009-10 and then take their franchise QB next year.

I like Kiper. He's usually more accurate than McShay.

However, you have to wait until after the scouting combine at least to see where guys will likely line up near the top of the draft. Also, factor in that some teams might fill important needs through FA, and the draft board could change quite a bit by the time end of April rolls around.

Kiper was the first one I saw that mentioned Cooley back in early 2004. Said he could be a steal of the draft back in Jan. 2004: http://proxy.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=1710269

Even speculated that he'd be a great fit for Gibbs' offense. Kiper knows his players. Sometimes though, he could have a couple favorites that he'll hype up that end up being busts.

Makes me wonder how far along we may have been had we stayed with Gibbs offense instead of switching to Saunders ... I know it pointless now, but I still wonder if Gibbs had of just brought in some more creative minds to help him expand his own offense, how good could we have really been in '06?

Orakpo is going to be a stud! He is a beast.

*Warning* Potential man-crush alert. Haha.

Orakpo played well at Texas. He got Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year, along with the Lombardi, Nagurski, and Ted Hendricks national awards.

My only concern is that he's another lightweight DE. He's 6'4" 260 lbs. We already have that type of guy in Carter (and Taylor if he sticks around). Blache's system focuses on bigger run-stopping guys as opposed to edge pass-rushers.

And I think we are all happy you aren't the GM either, because you're so blinded by your mancruch on Raji that you totally discount any other options, such as the very likely possibility that he won't be there for our pick. Stop acting like you are perfect and start being a little more respectful, this constant writing off of other people's opinions is starting to get a little MSF-esque.

At least I actually care to draft need rather than a flashy pick. What will Orakpo do without pressure from the interior line?

Everette Brown is a 3-4 backer. Curry would be nice, but how about the OL or DT?

*Warning* Potential man-crush alert. Haha.

Orakpo played well at Texas. He got Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year, along with the Lombardi, Nagurski, and Ted Hendricks national awards.

My only concern is that he's another lightweight DE. He's 6'4" 260 lbs. We already have that type of guy in Carter (and Taylor if he sticks around). Blache's system focuses on bigger run-stopping guys as opposed to edge pass-rushers.

Blache will be or is 60 already and lord knows how much longer he can or will coach. His mindset when it comes to D-lineman is almost as if he wants to run a 3-4 but with 4-3 personnel. It's odd and infuriating to someone who likes to see pressure on the QB. /rant.

Anyhow, Brian Orakpo will be a starting DE in this league from day one but not with the Skins. Buffalo takes him with the 11th overall pick. :2cents:

Kiper is a ****ing idiot! I like him, but his mocks are ghey. Guarantee he changes this come draft once he realizes that the Redskins need an OT or DT.

Doesn't matter what we need. Vinny has flat out said that he will go for the "best player available" which each spot. He drafts fantasy football style rather than what the team needs.

At least I actually care to draft need rather than a flashy pick. What will Orakpo do without pressure from the interior line?

I've jumped on the Raji bandwagon, but it's becoming more and more obvious that he's a top 10 pick, something we don't have. Therefore, I look to the next best pick available for what we need. According to you, we don't need a DT as much as a DE, which may be true, but would you draft a DT just for drafting a DT's sake? If so, you really need to rethink your position.

We aren't going to be able to get Raji. He's just too good. I am happy with a DE. How obvious is it that we need a pass rush? Very apparent. Orakpo would be a good pick. When was the last time we drafted a DE with our first pick? Kenard Lang? We've ignored that position for too long.

I don't like the idea of drafting a DE. I think we have good pass rushers in Wilson and Jackson who just need the opportunity to play. No matter how many ends we bring in here, we won't get the production we're looking for until we build the interior of the d-line. Right now our ends attack wide and the QB simply steps up in the pocket. We need to take the ability for the QB to step up away and collapse the pocket.

An interior DT would make the linebackers and the end play improve and would have a far greater impact than a DE.

personally I think we have to address the oline or interior dline with our pick (or trade down picks if that's what we do)... I don't see what a DE does for us without tackles that can do anything but plug up the run... I wouldn't be opposed to an LB if the blue chippers were still available.. below is maylocks full mock if anyone is interested... surprised to see the safeties have all fallen off... hadn't seen a mock yet that didn't include mays or the missouri kid (not saying we should draft them, just surprised)...

1 Detroit Matthew Stafford QB Georgia

2 St. Louis Andre Smith OT Alabama

3 Kansas City Mark Sanchez QB USC

4 Seattle Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech

5 Cleveland Aaron Curry LB Wake Forest

6 Cincinnati Jason Smith OT Baylor

7 Oakland Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri

8 Jacksonville Eugene Monroe OT Virginia

9 Green Bay Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio St.

10 San Francisco Aaron Maybin DE/OLB Penn St.

11 Buffalo Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma St.

12 Denver B.J. Raji DT Boston College

13 Washington Brian Orakpo DE Texas

14 New Orleans Vontae Davis CB Illinois

15 Houston Everette Brown DE Florida St.

16 San Diego Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia

17 New York Jets Percy Harvin WR Florida

18 Chicago Tyson Jackson DE LSU

19 Tampa Bay Josh Freeman QB Kansas St.

20 Detroit (from Dallas) Rey Maualuga LB USC

21 Philadelphia Chris "Beanie" Wells RB Ohio St.

22 Minnesota Hakeem Nicks WR North Carolina

23 New England Brian Cushing LB USC

24 Atlanta Larry English DE/OLB No. Illinois

25 Miami Darrius Heyward-Bey WR Mryland

26 Baltimore D.J. Moore CB Vanderbilt

27 Indianapolis Peria Jerry DT Mississippi

28 Philadelphia (from Carolina) Michael Oher OT Mississippi

29 New York Giants James Laurinaitis LB Ohio St.

30 Tennessee Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech

31 Arizona LeSean McCoy RB Pittsburgh

32 Pittsburgh Alex Mack C California

Archived