Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could Fedex Field be one of our main problems?

BleedinBurgNGold

Maryland is Unitas territory, ALL OF IT. Fedex is a blight on the state, tear it down and move back to the ghetto where we belong. Slowly the Ravens are taking over out fan base, is it any wonder? They're better and are expelling the invaders. Jack Kent Crook is getting cornholed by Irsays goat in hell. :eaglesuck

Since the Redskins opened up Fedex Field in August of 97, The Redskins have gone to the Playoffs Three Times with One Playoff win. For all of us who remember the Glory days of RFK with the upper deck shaking when Fans got excited and the Intimate nature the stadium provided for us fans seemed to always get our team jacked. With Fedex seating over 90,000 and out of DC, it seems that the Stadium is just too big and maybe even geogrohpy plays a factor in the lack luster Feel of Fedex. Maybe I just miss RFK? :(

Thoughts?

Well, I think everything above applies. Location stinks, the fact that the stadium doesn't have the "interactive" feel to it that RFK had...add that traffic is a huge problem to it & that there are far too many corporate tickets allowing wine & cheese & opposing team fans in....oh, & ****ty jumbotron (you almost can't call it that)

I think Dan should move the team back to DC, build a smaller stadium & build it so that the fans can be as loud as humanly possible (ie. add an overhang & put seating on metal stands). FedEx is not our Home. It may be where we reside as a team, but it definitely is not Home for us fans.

RFK had multiple factors in its favor:

1) in D.C. -- that helps. The local Southeast fans were as hardcore as any of 'em, and it rubbed off on all the visitors to the stadium

2) the teams were simply better

3) the acoustics at RFK made it deafeningly loud

4) no irritating car commercials every 5 minutes on the loudspeaker, to kill the vibe. Instead, diesel horns and the sound of shaking metal stands.

5) the fans were just louder and it felt like they were right on the field. "It was like entering a dungeon of thieves," Danny White once said of RFK

The stadium doesn't have much of an attitude...the tailgating is great....I'd like to see a stadium with a little more of an architectual design to it. Something that makes it stand out. I like Gillette and Heinz as examples... Seattle is a little too weird looking....but I guess its good for noise....

I think Danny should seriously move forward with moving back to DC proper. I hate it when teams represent one city but actually play in another.

We practice in VA and play in MD. Move us back to DC. I think it does something for the culture of the franchise and just has an immeasurable effect on the team.

Imagine being an opposing team coming to town and having to enter RFK to play that day. Imagine the surrounding neighborhoods and the urban backdrop and you can imagine how it would put a pessimistic feeling over the opposing team, a feeling that they've definitely entered another team's turf and have to fight that team defending it. Now imagine a team coming into FedEx out in Landover with nothing around except the beltway and a bunch of ****ty strip malls, FedEx by design and location almost seems like neutral place to play. I've never gotten the same aura from it that I got from RFK.

Hell, tear down RFK and build a larger stadium in its place. I don't think it has to be as large as FedEx. I think a smaller stadium actually benefits the hometown fans and team more.

I

Imagine being an opposing team coming to town and having to enter RFK to play that day. Imagine the surrounding neighborhoods and the urban backdrop and you can imagine how it would put a pessimistic feeling over the opposing team, a feeling that they've definitely entered another team's turf and have to fight that team defending it.

Yea...it would really interrupt that nap on the bus.

It ain't the stadium it is definitely the fans. Not even just the fans at the stadium, but the fans that post here. The fans that 'root' for the team.

To me it is about the fans never ever being happy with the team, they want to win a certain way and with certain players.

Once again - the "MYTH" of RFK. You would think the skins never lost and everyone loved RFK.

It was located in a bad area, some of the seats sucked and many sightlines sucked. It was fun when the skins won, but that was hardly the rule.

I posted this long ago, but worth posting again.

Ahh - The RFK / DC Stadium myth....

Overall record at RFK / Stadium

173-102-3

A .622 winning %

Clearly there was BIG home field advantage...

So then I thought - Yeah - but that included the Gibbs Super bowl years. What was our RFK record before Gibbs.

84-58-3

A .571 winning percentage

Jack Kent Cooke / Fedex field

52 -41 -1

A .553 winning percentage.

Lets subtract the Gibbs years again and it's

33-26-1

A .574 winning percentage....

So -What does all this mean? Without Gibbs, we have a better Home record at Fedex field / Jack kent Cooke stadium then we did at RFK stadium without Gibbs.

(*Source of all stats are from www.redskinsdb.com)

So -What does all this mean? Without Gibbs, we have a better Home record at Fedex field / Jack kent Cooke stadium then we did at RFK stadium without Gibbs.

(*Source of all stats are from www.redskinsdb.com)

Yeah but (you knew there was a "yeah but" coming, didn't you?) RFK opened in 1961, and the stadium didn't sell out until 1967. Therefore, to be a fair comparison, you'd have to eliminate 1961-1966. :)

yeah - but then my numbers don't look so good.... :)

68-32 not counting Gibbs or 1961-1966.

BUT -If we are only counting home games that were sold out, then lets be real. Sold out games at RFK means EVERY TICKET WAS SOLD. Since moving to FedEx how many times has EVERY TICKET been sold?

1961 -1966 Redskins home record was 16-26 (.380)

Hey- Do you think in 1967 somone said "The issue is that DC staduim we built! Before that stadium, at good old Griffith stadium the skins were 81-58-6. A .558 winning %. That new stadium sucks!"

yeah - but then my numbers don't look so good.... :)

68-32 not counting Gibbs or 1961-1966.

BUT -If we are only counting home games that were sold out, then lets be real. Sold out games at RFK means EVERY TICKET WAS SOLD. Since moving to FedEx how many times has EVERY TICKET been sold?

1961 -1966 Redskins home record was 16-26 (.380)

Hey- Do you think in 1967 somone said "The issue is that DC staduim we built! Before that stadium, at good old Griffith stadium the skins were 81-58-6. A .558 winning %. That new stadium sucks!"

You know what a great home field is? Lambeau Field.

I wonder what the Packers record was there from 1973 to 1998 when they were dreadful every year.

It pains me as a diehard Skins fan from the younger generation that I didn't get to see the glory days of RFK. I've seen plenty of footage of RFK literaly rocking during the numerous playoff/NFC Championship games that took place there. Unfortunatley like most other posters have already stated FedEx has had 1, count it 1, lousy playoff game. Quite depressing when you think about all the other teams that have had several home playoff games since FedEx opened.

Anyways I'm still going to have faith that eventually our Skins will be able to create some memorable playoff moments at the ****hole that is FedEx.:cheers:

Homefield advantage and fan atmosphere have eroded around the league in general, not just here.

We make an interesting case study for pioneering the trend because our stadium was one of the first in an era where luxury suites were the driving force behind the building boom.

The Packers and Bears both did a great deed to their fans by placing their suites above the long time season ticket holders when they decided to renovate.

The Fedex Field experience is among the worst in the NFL. Traffic is a nightmare. Views from more than a few seats aren't as good as watching the game on a 12'' black and white TV. The concession stands take half a quarter of play to get anything purchased and get back to your seat.

And, ding, ding............there are TOO MANY seats.

the Redskins are suffering from the same problems the Raiders did when they decided to play in the Colisseum in LA. A 99,000 seat stadium left more than enough spots for traveling teams' fans to take over large sections of the stands.

If Redskins Stadium was 65,000 seats all those Steeler and Eagle fans wouldn't be able to attend the game and make it feel like a home away from home.

The stadium doesn't have much of an attitude...the tailgating is great....I'd like to see a stadium with a little more of an architectual design to it. Something that makes it stand out. I like Gillette and Heinz as examples... Seattle is a little too weird looking....but I guess its good for noise....

I agree. But those stadiums were constructed years after FedEx was.

Yeah, I'm not feeling Seattle's stadium....looks too much like a spaceship

If Redskins Stadium was 65,000 seats all those Steeler and Eagle fans wouldn't be able to attend the game and make it feel like a home away from home.

I'm hoping that if Dan Snyder does indeed build a new stadium in DC proper that he realizes that problem and builds the stadium to hold somewhere around 65-70k.

Archived