Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could Fedex Field be one of our main problems?

BleedinBurgNGold

Since the Redskins opened up Fedex Field in August of 97, The Redskins have gone to the Playoffs Three Times with One Playoff win. For all of us who remember the Glory days of RFK with the upper deck shaking when Fans got excited and the Intimate nature the stadium provided for us fans seemed to always get our team jacked. With Fedex seating over 90,000 and out of DC, it seems that the Stadium is just too big and maybe even geogrohpy plays a factor in the lack luster Feel of Fedex. Maybe I just miss RFK? :(

Thoughts?

That seems to be one of the few things thats not Dan Snyder's fault these days lol.....

But honestly, was RFK really the greatest thing ever, structurally? No. Good teams played there though, and that is what made it awesome. Seeing your fav team kick the crap out of the other team.

That doesn't happen anymore, so who gives a **** where we play, why don't we focus on getting a better team and playing better.

That seems to be one of the few things thats not Dan Snyder's fault these days lol.....

But honestly, was RFK really the greatest thing ever, structurally? No. Good teams played there though, and that is what made it awesome. Seeing your fav team kick the crap out of the other team.

That doesn't happen anymore, so who gives a **** where we play, why don't we focus on getting a better team and playing better.

I think age may play a factor in your post. I was 5 or 6 years older when Fedex Opened up so I probably have more memories of RFK. You are correct abiut RFK structurally not being the best, But the Stadium was more than that. It felt a lot more cozy and intimate than the Mega Stadim that Fedex is. And yes, Fedex is the ONE thing Danny cant be blamed for. :D

FedEx has nothing to do with the way our team performs. We are still loud and show up in large numbers. Its not like the old Cardinals or Lions.

Agreed to a certain extent. You cant blame a stadium on a Teams performance, but the Results in that stadium have been dramatically different. I just miss the old stadium

I went to RFK throughout the 80's and 90's and have been going to Fed Ex ever since it opened, and I can tell you that the atmosphere is not the same.

I have a hard time thinking the actual building has much to do with it. Perhaps RFK's overhang helped keep in a little sound, but that's not the whole story.

The truth is the fans that attend the games now have a completely different attitude than the "Good Old Days". RFK fans were obsessed with the team and it's success. Look around at the next game you go to. The fans show up late, leave early, and are more interested in tailgating, drinking, talking on their cell phone, and modeling their clothes than the actual game.

Is this why the team loses so much there? Probably not. But an obnoxious stadium may pull out another game every now and then, so I would guess that is does play a small role.

We weren't that great at RFK the last four years that the Redskins called it home. In fact, I think we went 0-8 there one of those years.

The aspect that I miss about RFK was the relatively close Metro access. All of the Skins fans pouring out of the Stadium-Armory seemed to generate a nice camraderie. I guess there are a number of people who use the Morgan Blvd Station but the mile walk has to be a buzzkill.

I also have to think that many of the folks at RFK who had season tickets went to the game. Yes, there were ticket brokers even back in RFK's day, but the ease of putting your tix for sale on the Net seems to have made too many STHs viewing the tickets as more of an investment than something that they enjoy doing. Thus, less regulars at the games, and situations happening where tens of thousands of Steeler fans get their mitts on tickets.

The main differene between RFK & FED EX is that in RFk, there were good teams at least during the 80's and early 90's. They won because they were good, not because the fans cheered hard, though it may have helped for a play or two... but FedEx hasnt seen a really good team since it opened. The 99 team had a good offense but no defense. The 2000 squad was a mediocre bomb.... Gibbs squeaked into the final wildcard spot for two seasons but those teams hardly qualify as memorable.

When the Skins put together a great squad, then FedEx will start to have some memorable games and become a place that others fear. No teams fear the Skins or playing at Fedex b/c there hasnt been much to fear for years.

I remember going to games at DC Stadium (it's name before it became RFK) in the 1960s. Sonny, Chris Hanburger, Charlie Taylor, Jerry Smith were the stars, but we stank. The "friendly confines" were not so friendly then! We lost to early-expansion Cowboys even then!

Home field is not as important to the pros.

It was a nicer view experience, but the bathrooms stank; it was a dump. DC government sucked all the cash out and put nothing into the structure.

Nicest thing: you could easily sneak in food and drink!

I have thought a bit about this over the years and I've come to the conclusion that it's due to a number of things. First, I think RFK's cantilevered roof reflected a lot of the sound back in whereas Fedex lets it out. Also contrary to what you'd think, more fans didn't equate to more noise. Instead, many of the newer folks who showed up were wine and cheesers. The core diehards are still there making noise but because of the design of the stadium and the dilution factor of the wine and cheesers, it ends up not being as loud as you'd expect with almost 100K people there.

There's also the issue of culture. We're just a different country/people than we were back then. Obviously there's nothing that can be done about that.

Finally Fedex is a victim of RFK's nostalgia and history. Even now, just thinking about D. Grant rumbling into the endzone to seal our trip to the SB sends shivers down my spine...and I wasn't even there. If we can ever get our act together and get some similar memories at Fedex, it will take on the same aura. Until then, it will always lack a certain something.

Of course, I blame Snyder for all of this. :)

I agree about it not being a major problem. The noise level is nowhere near where it was when games were at RFK, but then again we also were winning a lot more than we were back then we are now.

The noise level would help, but they putting a good team together would might also solve some of other issues as well.

This thread just made me...well, I can't say, but that was brilliant. Here's an idea Dan. When we move out of FedEx, which has its atmosphere created by the fans 110% and provides no sense of greatness as a stadium, let's create an intimate 100,000 seat bowl. How? I don't know because I'm not an engineer, but if you build it the Skins will come.

Archived