Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoking Poll

codeorama

Originally posted by Pete

Well I haven't read this entire thread, and don't have to. I'm a smoker of 30 years, and have no problem with an indoor ban. You can kiss my hairy Italian arse when it comes to not smoking outdoors.

If you can go to a BB-Q and deal with the smoke, my cig is no worse. Hidatchi style Asian cooking indoors has more smoke then a dozen cigs being smoked, yet non smokers go to those places to eat out..............don't they.

Oh ya, us smokers are causing the rise of health coverage. Don't bit(h folks, we pay more tax then the rest of you. When uncle sam needs money, the smokers get hit first.

I hope the entire country stops smoking, so the rest of you can kick in your fair share when taxes go up across the boards.

I have found NON SMOKERS to be the rudest, whiniest friggen bandwagoneers on the planet. I ask if anybody minds if I light up in my own home if a non smoker is present. If around non smokers outdoors, I also ask. I have been sitting outdoors smoking and have had people walk up and sit near me, and then complain I'm smoking more times then I can count. Decorum keeps me from posting what I tell them. Chased a guy at the Oktober fest this past year for calling my wife a pig for smoking. If not for my wife screeming at me to go no further, he was going to the ER that night.

About a month ago, I was at the Walmart. I opened the hatch on my van, and a guy walking by stops and says "Dam, you can smell the smoke roll out of that hell hole" I turned and headed for him, only to stop about three feet from him. His body oder would gag a magot. I told him I would cram a lit stogey up his arse if he didn't let the cut under his nose heal real fast, and to got to the car wash and get cleaned up.

If we ban smoking, we should also ban perfume and cologne in public. The shlitz gags me and many others I know. Spoils my dinner when out, and makes my sinuses burn. Auto air freshners also. Try working in a van that has two or three of them things. You wanna talk about a pounding skull. If I paid off the right group, I'm sure we could find health reasons to ban this stuff too.

To all the non smokers who don't like what I have to say TFB. You have taken away my rights, so don't be rude about it. You could encounter a person like me, and get pounded for being a di(k.

To all the smokers out there, do what I do. Keep an unlit smoke in your mouth when going into stores and dining. Watch how fast some bleeding heart will complain. It will disrupt things at times, and nobody can do a thing about it which makes me very happy.

:wave: :cheers: :notworthy

Like Blondie, tobacco smoke also makes me feel ill. The worst part of it is when you can still smell it the next day. When you put on yesterday's coat and it just reaks of the club smoke. I don't disagree that people have a right to be self-destructive. We all have our self-destructive habits, but when I visit friends playing gigs in bars... sometimes I can only last about forty five minutes before I need to escape outside to get some of that stuff out of my lungs. Makes it hard to support a friend. Not sure what the solution is other than for me to stay away from places like that. The number of places a person can smoke has been limited. Unless they illegalize it, you can't really outlaw it outdoors. As far as rudeness goes, I've seen it both ways. Will say that I've never met a group of people as a whole that litter as much as smokers. So many just jump their butts whereever they finish and figure they'll just biodegrade there on the highway, sidewalk, or grass.

Originally posted by Larry Brown #43

What pisses me off is those people in my office who spend half the day down in the garage smoking, like they are somehow entitled to work only half the day just because they smoke. They should only get paid for working half the day. What if I were to say I'm addicted to chocolate and I have to spend half the day downstairs at the vending machine to feed my chocolate habit. How long would I keep my job? Yet somehow it's OK for smokers. Pisses me off.

Awsome point. I have the same going on at my office.:cheers:

Look, I don't smoke, but this ban on smoking is becoming neo-Nazi-like. There's a bar where I live that doesn't allow smoking inside, but people can go out on the deck to smoke. I really like coming home from that place not smelling like an ashtray. That being said, I think that people should have the choice to smoke inside public places as long as there's some sort of barrier between the smoking and non-smoking areas.

larry/code...sure you want to go down that road?

as someone who has had hundreds of people working for him at one time or another.........I have seen hpours wasted in all manner of ways...to name a few....

1) bs web surfing

2) personal e-mail

3) lengthy lunches

4) shavingminutes at work arrival and work departure

5) hangin out in front of the TV watching cnn/fox

6) hallway conversations

7) the usual office flirting between the sexes

8) folks making phonecalls to learn the jobs they were hired to do

9) personal phonecalls

10) personal projects

11) personal reading

and on and on.........

as for the other stuff......well....there are things other than smoking that affect my heath and productivity in the work place....if this is to be the general prinicple....then why don't my rights carry equal merit? or is this just a favored cause with no greater point in mind?

I don't smoke cigs anymore, but I think a ban on outdoor public smoking would be rediculous. We might as well ban cars and factories because they pollute the air much worse than tobacco. I would also be against an indoor ban in places of business like a restaurant or bar b/c the business owner has the right to choose who he does business with. If a bar is too smokey for you don't go there. I used to tend bar in Richmond. If smoking had been banned there, a lot of successful businesses would have gone broke.

The comment that outdoor smokers are the biggest litterers is absolutely correct. The world is their ashtray, and its OUR fault for not providing them with disposal facilities. I don't know a single smoker who carries any kind of disposal equipment outside of the occasional beer or soda can.

But banning it outdoors and in bars is crazy. The activity itself is legal - what do you want, people to levitate 20 feet off the ground before lighting up? Smoking sections in restaurants is no good because it doesn't take scientific gear to detect the stink across the room. I was a smoker for many years, sucked in 2 packs a day of Camel nons. And now as a nonsmoker I'm not an evangelical, but it shames me to think how many of other people's meals I ruined, etc. back in my day. But banning it in bars? C'mon. Man's gotta have a place for a smoke and some suds.

It always strikes me as strange when smokers make the argument - correctly, I believe - that their additional health care costs are offset by dying early. Heck, even the tobacco companies are afraid to make that point, for obvious reasons. I guess denial is more than a river in Africa.

Pete, you can dangle that smoke in your mouth to your heart's content. In fact, re your Monica comment, you can push those sticks into any body orifice you please as long as its not lit. Enjoy.

Out door smoking in general I don't have a huge problem with though it still screws up my asthma if the person smokes right near me. When I'm sitting at a picnic table and a smoker comes over and lights up right next to me, I have a problem with it.

In general, outside is fine, so long as I'm not subjected to the smoke. Sitting down next to somebody not smoking and lighting up is just plain rude. To do it while they are eating is even worse.

Cigarette's and their smell are disgusting to most everyone who doesn't smoke. They're appetite supressants. What makes an ignorant smoker think that's the smell I want while I'm trying to enjoy my food. I say ignorant smoker, because I assume nobody on this board is that rude.

The fact that I have to tell somebody at my work to get lost atleast once a week is annoying. We have designated smoking areas, and I don't mind if they smoke other places. Just don't sit down next to me and light up. Is that too much to ask? Given some of the rude conversations I've had...

smoking is a privilege not a right, like having a drivers license is a privilege. I use to smoke but have been tobacco free for 13 1/2 years and am damm glad I quit. Cig smoke makes me sick to my stomach and fu(ks with my sinuses. That said I do agree with banning smoking in restaurants but in bars and clubs there ought to be a compromise such as a seperate room for smokers or an enclosed porch of somekind. I also agree with some of the other posters about smoking in the workplace. I get sick and tired of the smokers getting up every 1/2 hour and making the trek to the smoking area, smoking 1 maybe 2 cigs, then making the trek back to their workstations. That's 15 mins every hour or so.

Originally posted by fansince62

ban it....and what about those god *amn boom boxes and car stereos that impact my hearing? ban that also. society we live in.

Amen on that. I can't stand that loud thumping, enough to wake the dead!:doh:

Pete, you can dangle that smoke in your mouth to your heart's content. In fact, re your Monica comment, you can push those sticks into any body orifice you please as long as its not lit. Enjoy.

Ya know Jimbo, I wasn't always an instigator with the unlit smokes in my mouth. Speaking for myself, I have always considered others first when it came to smoking. I have caught a game with two board members in local bars, and with each of them, (Mick & Skinz Fan) I asked each time if it was OK to light up.

I've grown tired of strangers informing me I can't smoke If I take out my pack and lay it on the table while eating out because there uncomfortable in my pants pocket while sitting. I'm tired of hearing of people pushing their rights that I'm well aware of, and laws that I abide by ALL THE TIME. I'm tired of the majority reaping the benefits of the money the minority pay out. I'm tired of standing on a strip of deserted beach miles long fishing, and having some boob plant there azz six feet away and within minutes hear, that smoke stinks.

Most of the rights of smokers have been taken away, and I don't have a problem with that. In my first post, I stated I have no problem with an indoor ban. I have a problem with the nonsmoking crusaders who bust my horns when I'm doing nothing wrong, and Snide comments from jag offs who feel the need to express their displeasure with my habit from 30 feet away.

If they have the right to BOTHER me when I’m not doing anything wrong, I feel I have the same right to bother them at this point in time. The state tells me that I can’t smoke in my work place, and I didn’t prior to the ban in FL. I don’t find it right to smoke in a customers van, and only smoke prior and after hours. It makes sense though that a cig is going to hurt a coworker in my shop that burns and welds metal putting out a ton of smoke, fills with wood smoke from the table saw and router regularly, and is choked with auto exhaust very often.

As for pushing those sticks into any body orifice Jimbo, if that’s what gets you off so be it. I would suggest you find a playmate to do it for ya, being it’s not my bag.

Wow, this is getting rediculous. So much of this country's revenue in it's early days relied on tobacco and people these days seem to make life miserable for anyone who wants to smoke ... notice i said 'wants to smoke'. It's a f**king choice. The research is out there. People who pick up a cigarette have that friggin choice. And those who started smoking before the research was out there and have greedy families who sue after they die of lung cancer or emphasima are sad. It's still a choice. These people who died smoked god knows how many cigarettes a day for years. Aside from the fact that they could have quit (yes .. they could have .. spare me the involuntary smoking crap), nicotine addiction is mostly mental and it only takes about 4 full cigarettes a day to satisfy the most extreme physical addiction.

Individual establishments can do what they want but to ban it outside is rediculous. Smoking outside doesn't generally affect other people unless the smoker is particularly rude .. and life is just like that. Trying to ban public smoking would fail. It is too much embedded in American culture to even try that. It would fail miserably. It shouldn't even be broght up. I am so gdamn sick of the grandiloquent rhetoric coming from some of these people trying to take away smokers' rights/priveledges or whatever you want to call them. The overall obnoxiousness and pomposity of the whole movement makes me sick.

takes about 4 full cigarettes a day to satisfy the most extreme physical addiction

I have found this to be true for the most part. I was a 3 pack a day smoker for the past 8 years being every shop around here let ya smoke in the shop area. The work was on bikes and equipment, not peoples vehicles. Now, working on mostly custom vans and auto's for the past six months, It's no big deal not to smoke as it had been years before. I smoke five or six cigs a day.

Originally posted by fansince62

larry/code...sure you want to go down that road?

as someone who has had hundreds of people working for him at one time or another.........I have seen hpours wasted in all manner of ways...to name a few....

1) bs web surfing

2) personal e-mail

3) lengthy lunches

4) shavingminutes at work arrival and work departure

5) hangin out in front of the TV watching cnn/fox

6) hallway conversations

7) the usual office flirting between the sexes

8) folks making phonecalls to learn the jobs they were hired to do

9) personal phonecalls

10) personal projects

11) personal reading

and on and on.........

as for the other stuff......well....there are things other than smoking that affect my heath and productivity in the work place....if this is to be the general prinicple....then why don't my rights carry equal merit? or is this just a favored cause with no greater point in mind?

Obviously you don't work where I work. We have a situation where the same handful of people spend as much time in the garage smoking as they do in their office. All of the things you listed above can limit productivity, but they also are things that management at most offices (including mine) has addressed with staff. We are told to watch how much time we take at lunch, how we use the Internet, what time we arrive in the morning, etc., etc., etc.

But they never once have told people to stop wasting so much time in the garage. There is a sense of entitlement that these smokers have that pisses a lot of us off. And I think my comparison is apt -- if I claim that I am addicted to chocolate and I have to spend half the day downstairs at the vending machine eating chocolate, I would be fired quickly. But if I claim that I am addicted to cigarettes and I need to spend half my day in the garage goofing off with my fellow smokers, nobody would bat an eyelash. It's as though management is afraid to confront the smokers.

Pete, I'm not kiding about dangling the unlit smokes from your mouth. It can help a little with the craving when you can't light up, and if it annoys the self-righteous then so much the better. Plus, it looks cool :cool: . Just kidding about the, ah, additional uses for a ciggerbutt, I really didn't mean that the way it came out.

I have no doubt that non-smokers, having achieved considerable success in the legal arena, are becoming obnoxious. Back off, at least wait till a guy lights up before complaining fer chrissakes. It used to be the smokers who'd fire up a cig right next to a No Smoking sign and ask what you're gonna do about it. Now, with smokers relegated to huddling outside in the cold and rain or in back stairwells with broken furniture, things have changed. Its more often the non-smoker with the aggressive attitude.

But, for your own sake, if you're tired of these things, throw the pack in the trash, man.

Archived