Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoking Poll

codeorama

Originally posted by Kilmer17

No. It should be banned in all indoor and outdoor public areas. If someone wants to smoke, let them stink up their own home and not subject me to their vileness.

You basically summed up my opinion.:notworthy

I dont smoke but this stuff is getting ridiculous.

Bars and restaraunts that are predominant or smokers only are under attack.

I cant wait for smokers and the companies to do a smoke out for a month no purchases and show how valuable they are to the state economies.

I remember when the demonizing was at its peak and the companies said ok we will take our product out of NJ which of course gave NJ and NY a moment of reflection and a temporary change of tune

I'm against it because of the second hand smoke, who wants their children to have to inhale cigarette smoke at restaraunt or some other place and because I hate going out and coming home smelling like smoke, that sucks.

In Norfolk Va, there is a small theater called the Norva that has a separate smoking room that is closed off. It makes going to a concert not such a pain in the a$$. It's wonderful.

Navy Dave,

I don't think that most smokers could pull off a smoke out. That's part of the problem, the stuff is addictive. Unless you meant the other way around, that smokers would boycott all nonsmoking establishments for a month.

Originally posted by Burgold

Unless you meant the other way around, that smokers would boycott all nonsmoking establishments for a month.

Good idea - then we non-smokers wouldn't have to choke on their rancid smoke body odor.

Of course - since most of the Cigarette Makers are either owned by or own food related companies - the smokers would in effect be boycotting the same companies that provide them the cigarettes.

Now wouldn't that be ironic?

Depends. I don't have a problem with smoking in bars or smonking sections of restaurants. But if it's all or nothing, I'll vote no. I don't see much difference between someone who smokes next to me and someone who picks their butt and wipes their hand on my shirt, and I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for those who feel they need to share their nasty habits with me.

we have this in cali, and it is awesome for non-smokers. i love going out and coming home smoke free. going back east is a real eye-opener. you stink upon returning from a restraunt/bar.

the only thing i would change is to allow smoking only establishments, like cigar bars. if you want to smoke inside, so to a smoking joint (no not :high: :D ).

What is moronic is that States depend on Smokers for them to continue that out of control spending.

Do you guys see how much it cost to buy a pack of cigarettes?

If smokers did boycott or just quit smoking most states would be in a world of hurt.

Heck 2 years ago DC Mayor Williams used tobacco money to give City government workers bonuses when its supposed to be used for education and helping cigarette casualties.

I am a smoker and of course I think the smoking ban is BS.

I would be more than willing to concede to smoking in the Bar area of a resturant only, or having completly separate areas for smokers. To ban it outright is just silly. There is a lot of misleading science to second hand smoke issue.

http://www.sho.com/ptbs/topics.cfm?topic=shs

Of course I am planning on quitting soon and will be on the other side of the fence:doh:

Carlsbadd, I offer any and all help and support you need. I can let you know how I did it. And can let you know what I tried that didnt work.

I hope you can quit. But make sure you are quitting for yourself, and not someone or something else. Otherwise it wont work.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Carlsbadd, I offer any and all help and support you need. I can let you know how I did it. And can let you know what I tried that didnt work.

I hope you can quit. But make sure you are quitting for yourself, and not someone or something else. Otherwise it wont work.

Thanks for the offer, I have stopped before and know how hard it is. When the time comes I will need help from you and everybody else . I will start a "Help Carlsbadd stop smoking" thread when I am ready. My target date is July 5th 03..Thanks

I live in California, so it's seems strange for me to even hear this, but every time I go to places like Reno, and see people smoking in a bar or something, it just seems not right, so my vote had to be no.

I don't care either way, I live in a smoke free home, but I don't really know about the facts on smoking as true, because they knew about cancer, but it's a relatively new fact of second hand smoke causing cancer.

My thing, doesn't have to be anyone elses.

ban it....and all alcohol consumption in public places, including restaurants, should be banned as well. after all, any of these folks might step into a car............and what about those god *amn boom boxes and car stereos that impact my hearing? ban that also. and what about coughing in public withoput covering your mouth. god *amn it - I might catch a cold or worse that way! ban all public coughing. and how about your car? your lawn mower? your edger? they impact the air I have to breathe. ban em!! what a callous, destructiuve society we live in. *ell.....ban society!!!!!

Originally posted by carlsbadd

Thanks for the offer, I have stopped before and know how hard it is. When the time comes I will need help from you and everybody else . I will start a "Help Carlsbadd stop smoking" thread when I am ready. My target date is July 5th 03..Thanks

That may or may not help. I quit after 11 years of smoking, and it was far easier to do alone. For me, telling other people about it put pressure on myself and set myself up for failure, because it's almost like you're trying to get other people to share in the responsibility.

In the end, though, it's not really that difficult. I found that the physical withdrawal symptoms were gone in three days. From then on, it was just a matter of waiting out temporary cravings (like after meals), and that got much easier over time.

Another thing I did was to replace bad behavior with good behavior: I got much more into exercise and outdoor activities.

Originally posted by fansince62

ban it....and all alcohol consumption in public places, including restaurants, should be banned as well. after all, any of these folks might step into a car............and what about those god *amn boom boxes and car stereos that impact my hearing? ban that also. and what about coughing in public withoput covering your mouth. god *amn it - I might catch a cold or worse that way! ban all public coughing. and how about your car? your lawn mower? your edger? they impact the air I have to breathe. ban em!! what a callous, destructiuve society we live in. *ell.....ban society!!!!!

Well, alternatively, in a pure 'free' market, every person could wear an ATM payment device (in addition to the bar code affixed to them by Consolidated Global Megacorp).

In this way, smokers could excercise their free will by simply paying everyone they met for the right to pollute their personal airspaces. :)

Originally posted by fansince62

:cheers:

being a smoker i had to vote yes. went to NYC for the draft and was unaware of the ban. had to smoke outside and breath in that polluted city air. went to the celts last night and same thing-- public smoking ban. what a pain in the a$$. even when i didn't smoke i never had a problem with smokers or second-hand smoke. i think we need to have smoking-only venues. if non-smokers want to come they will have to shutup about smelling like smoke (?!?i :laugh:) and enjoy the food/drinks/music, whatever. but instead they are phasing out smoking oriented venues such as cigar bars. WTF!!!

i miss living in richmond, home of phillip morris. and free smokes from the cig reps!

NYPost article yesterday says lots of bars and restaurants feeling the pinch because of the ban. The NYC Mayor says they are making up the story...?

But we need for people to smoke. Where else is all that cigarette tax revenue going to come from... you'll be taking poor children's health insurance away. How about all the money going to patients with lung cancer - do we simply let them die after the money dries up because we all quit smoking.

Of course this is utterly ridiculous – but that cigarette tax revenue is very real. So, how do we replace that money – raise taxes? Transfer the tax percentage to the producers of Oreo cookies – fast food restaurants – BIG beer breweries?

Archived