Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BMW 3 series or M3?

Slateman

I would just like to know why BigMike insists the original poster buy American besides anything else. Some sort of specific reasons besides "loyalty" and, "I would never be caught in one of those."

sorry man, but I am not going to get to a convo with you. I know you will take it as rude but 1215 is right, this started off poorly so I am going to move on.

sorry man, but I am not going to get to a convo with you. I know you will take it as rude but 1215 is right, this started off poorly so I am going to move on.

I dont want to argue, I just want to know what your reasons are. I mean if we are providing the OP with advice on purchasing an expensive item it behooves us to give him accurate info.

Ok, now that needs to be my avatar!

agreed!!

I dont want to argue, I just want to know what your reasons are. I mean if we are providing the OP with advice on purchasing an expensive item it behooves us to give him accurate info.

sorry man, I ended the hijack already and I am off work and going to drink.

BigMike, you do realize many BMWs are built in America? Can Ford (many built in Mexico) or Chevy (many built in Canada) say that?

My buddy ****ed at me for not buying American when I bought my car earlier this year. Little did he know, my BMW was built in South Carolina, while the current BMW line is designed by an American named Chris Bangle. :2cents:

whats funny here is he went ON AND ON with his post and didnt realize that the joke was between me and someoene else and we both got it.

For you to even make comments that a Chrysler 300 is better than a M3 shows you know absolutely nothing about cars. American auto companies make inferior and cheap products and their days are numbered. So if you wish to continue to support these idiots in Detroit (which coming from the comments you've made doesn't seem surprising), I will continue to drive past you while you're standing outside your cheap car on the side of the ride wondering why its not working.

The only thing here that is a joke is you. For you to even make comments that a Chrysler 300 is better than a M3 shows you know absolutely nothing about cars. Your utter display of pompousness is the same thing that killed the American auto companies. They make inferior and cheap products and their days are numbered. So if you wish to continue to support these idiots in Detroit (which coming from the comments you've made doesn't seem surprising, I will continue to drive past you while you're standing outside your cheap car on the side of the ride wondering why its not working.

Regardless of whether or not I agree with bigmike's views on automobiles, no personal attacks in the Tailgate! Now would you please edit that out for me, and maybe even give an apology if you feel up to it?

Practicing my new role as the Patron Saint of Tailgate Harmony. Ahh, I like the sound of that...

be smart and do what i did....2008 infiniti g37S....its a beautiful car that runs amazing with 330 horses...enough to set you back in your seat. $40,000 new (before negotiation) but that beats 70k for a M3 or whatever they are new

I'd be buying used, but yes, they are very nice cars. G35s are nice too.

You can find M3 leases for about $800/month nowadays

I'm leasing. To me, thats just dumb. Why do that when you could arrange the same payment and own the car.

American car companies are done, victims of capitalism. We need to cut the life-support and jsut let them die already.

Everybody else on earth seems to understand that Americans like different things, so the best way to sell to Americans is to focus on a particular aspect and do it better than anyone else. BMW's are renowned for handling like a dream. Volvo's for safety. Toyota/Honda for reliability. Hyundai's are known for being the cheapest. Elegance and luxury goes to Jaguar, Bentley, or Mercedes.

What precisely does Ford excel at? GM? Anything? The only market I can think of that American car companies do well in is automobiles that are orbitted by their own moons.

My prescription to fix American car companies is for major contraction. Kill all platforms that do not have a loyal customer base (i.e. pick-up trucks, huge SUVs). Stop trying to sell to Americans and think of the global market. To me, that means focus on the wave of the future, which is alternative energy and gas-electric hybrids -- cause EVERYBODY is sick of dealing with Middle-East.

There is no excuse for why Honda and Toyota are waaay ahead of American car companies in this category.

The European market is ripe for hybrids, but Toyota and Honda are the only companies that are making serious hydrids. The problem is, Europeans think Japanese cars are terribly ugly and wouldnt be caught dead in them. I smell an oppurtunity.

Let me help you out man...

First things first, this should not even be up for discussion. Do not buy new. Buy slightly used. Depreciation can be deadly on a $60k car. The initial hit will be disturbing.

Second, nothing is wrong with leases on cars that, in 3 years, you will owe more than they are worth. The M3 shouldnt be too bad, but M3's have great lease rates right now (and finance) and you can negotiate the hell out of them. You need to do a calculation on the lease offer you'll get, vs the financing offer you get, assuming you sell the car at the time the lease will be up. Down payments + cumulative monthly payments, compare that to the expected value in 3 years. Expected value can be calculated by looking at the rate of depreciation of the last model in its first 3 years and applying that to your car.

Third, go drive a C63. You'll forget the M3 is even an option. Only problem there is AMG lease AND finance rates are horrible right now in comparison to BMW. I have owned 2 M3's and an AMG and I will never ever look back. I drove the new M3 and was disappointed - its the same old story. need to rev sky high to go anywhere. feels great through the turns but no better than an AMG. maybe noticeable on a track but on the public streets we drive every day...they are both WAY more than the avg driver needs.

Also to the people saying youre paying for a name, thats right, you are. Youre also paying for quality and design as well. Comparing a 300M to an M3 or C63 in ANY capacity other than 1/4 mile or other tangible performance related figures....well there is no comparison. We've been through this before, but schoolbus steering wheels and cardboard dashes are not my style. This excludes the CTS-V - Caddy really stepped it up in all areas.

Let me help you out man...

First things first, this should not even be up for discussion. Do not buy new. Buy slightly used. Depreciation can be deadly on a $60k car. The initial hit will be disturbing.

Second, nothing is wrong with leases on cars that, in 3 years, you will owe more than they are worth. The M3 shouldnt be too bad, but M3's have great lease rates right now (and finance) and you can negotiate the hell out of them. You need to do a calculation on the lease offer you'll get, vs the financing offer you get, assuming you sell the car at the time the lease will be up. Down payments + cumulative monthly payments, compare that to the expected value in 3 years. Expected value can be calculated by looking at the rate of depreciation of the last model in its first 3 years and applying that to your car.

Third, go drive a C63. You'll forget the M3 is even an option. Only problem there is AMG lease AND finance rates are horrible right now in comparison to BMW. I have owned 2 M3's and an AMG and I will never ever look back. I drove the new M3 and was disappointed - its the same old story. need to rev sky high to go anywhere. feels great through the turns but no better than an AMG. maybe noticeable on a track but on the public streets we drive every day...they are both WAY more than the avg driver needs.

Also to the people saying youre paying for a name, thats right, you are. Youre also paying for quality and design as well. Comparing a 300M to an M3 or C63 in ANY capacity other than 1/4 mile or other tangible performance related figures....well there is no comparison. We've been through this before, but schoolbus steering wheels and cardboard dashes are not my style. This excludes the CTS-V - Caddy really stepped it up in all areas.

Bottom line for me is that BMW makes the most elegantly nimble car in it's class, and the 420hp 8300rpm ultralight V8 engine in the M3 is a thing if wonder if you know how to use it.

If you want the best drivers car, go with the BMW. If you want more brute power, more luxury, or a better price, look at your options.

Bottom line for me is that BMW makes the most elegantly nimble car in it's class, and the 420hp 8300rpm ultralight V8 engine in the M3 is a thing if wonder if you know how to use it.

If you want the best drivers car, go with the BMW. If you want more brute power, more luxury, or a better price, look at your options.

I think thats what impressed me the most about the M3. It was a V8. Like, seriously, V8s aren't supposed to be that . . . quick. Nimble is a good word. You say V8 and I think big horses but heavy.

I don't see how you can ever go wrong with an "M" Series BMW but my only advice would be to look into the used market first because you won't be the one paying the brunt of depreciation on the car (let the original owner do that for you). Also, now more than ever this is a buyer's market and every dealer out there is willing to make a deal that they wouldn't have just 2 years back. Just make sure that you post pics when you've landed the ride so we all can see it.

neither, get the mercedes SLK 32 AMG. It'll roast anything out there up to 165 mph.

This definitely is incorrect.

The C63 feels more "nimble" to me than the M3 in daily driving. The thing about the M3 is it transfers the feel of the road to the driver better than any car Ive ever driven in its price range...it sounds cliche but driving an M3 you feel "connected" to the road, that to me is the wonder of the M3. Not the underpowered V8 that you have to rev to 6k+ to go anywhere.

Drive the C63, nearly every M3 driver who does wont go back. The "quick" feeling most people get when driving a car is called torque, it comes from a 6.2L monster motor, and the C63 has ~150 more ft/lbs than the M3. It feels quicker, faster, more nimble, and all around more enjoyable. On a track, when pushed to its limits, the M3 will slightly outperform the AMG, but for street driving, both cars are on equal ground when it comes to "handling".

Nevermind the fact M3 drivers are some of the snobbiest "my car is better than everyone because it has M POWER!" d-bag owners on the face of the earth. "My car is track ready!" Have fun on your I-495 track. Ugh, M3 owners are the worst.

If you do decide to make a mistake (;) ) and go with the M, as the dude above says, be sure to negotiate. Dealers who offer BMW & Mercedes are more flexible on the M than the AMG...straight from the horses mouth.

I think thats what impressed me the most about the M3. It was a V8. Like, seriously, V8s aren't supposed to be that . . . quick. Nimble is a good word. You say V8 and I think big horses but heavy.

Well put. :cheers: The crazy thing is, that engine is lighter than the straight 6 in my Z4! (It would actually fit if I had the money to do it :D)

Archived