Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BMW 3 series or M3?

Slateman

the 330 is a quick and fun car, the thing to remember about the M3 is that you have to have a good place to drive it, otherwise it's just wasted. Nothing else BMW makes is gonna feel like the M3, but drive a 330

Through all the bickering in this thread....the first post is still the one I agree with the most.

The M3 is an AMAZING car. But it has a lot of horses for everyday driving. Get the new 335i coupe. You will not be dissapointed. :2cents:

...and for all the people pumping up the new Mercedes "C" class....make sure you buy the extended warranty with those cars. I saw my cousin who is a Service Manager at a Mercedes Dealership over Christmas. He basically said since the redesign they have been having LOTS of probems with the new "C" class...transmission problems at 20,000 miles, brakes, rotors, electric problems. The have been doing tons of warranty work lately. It's fine to have nice performance numbers...but you can't do 0-60 in 4 seconds if you are in the repair shop. :)

Through all the bickering in this thread....the first post is still the one I agree with the most.

The M3 is an AMAZING car. But it has a lot of horses for everyday driving. Get the new 335i coupe. You will not be dissapointed. :2cents:

I'll have to agree if you are on a budget. I'll add though that if you are an "M" type guy, make sure you get one with the sport package. It's sort of "M light" at the push of a button.

Used M5's are going for around 50 -55k now. It is quite possibly the best car in the world.

I've found 2004 or 2005 M3s with less than 60,000 miles for around 25k. Thats really more what I'd be looking at.

I am kind of interested in this 335i. I dunno if I like the way it looks though.

I've found 2004 or 2005 M3s with less than 60,000 miles for around 25k. Thats really more what I'd be looking at.

I am kind of interested in this 335i. I dunno if I like the way it looks though.

Only looking at 25k? How would you afford the new M3 then?

buying new, now more than ever, is really throwing you $$$$ away. The place that I bought my XK8 conv http://www.genuinemotorcars.com/ had 3 M3's I think that they were all convertibles with less than 30k miles for mid 20'sK.

I know this is off topic, BMW wise but my wifes friend just bought a new toyota. Due to cheap financing, dealer cash back, and deals she got a better deal on a new toyota than a used. She actually wanted a used car and went multiple places, but the fact was new deals were just too good to pass up. The new car ended up cheaper than used.

I know this is off topic, BMW wise but my wifes friend just bought a new toyota. Due to cheap financing, dealer cash back, and deals she got a better deal on a new toyota than a used. She actually wanted a used car and went multiple places, but the fact was new deals were just too good to pass up. The new car ended up cheaper than used.

I have to see the numbers. Of course larger ticket items are going to net a greater savings, percentage wise. The car that I bought was $80k new and I paid $14k for it. Clean retail is about $24 for the car, clean trade in $21k.

buying new, now more than ever, is really throwing you $$$$ away. The place that I bought my XK8 conv http://www.genuinemotorcars.com/ had 3 M3's I think that they were all convertibles with less than 30k miles for mid 20'sK.

I was under the impression the OP was thinking of getting the new body M3 which first came out MY2008. So a used one would probably not be under 50k.

The older body M3 could be found in his range though.

I have to see the numbers. Of course larger ticket items are going to net a greater savings, percentage wise. The car that I bought was $80k new and I paid $14k for it. Clean retail is about $24 for the car, clean trade in $21k.

I am not sure what you got for 14K? How many miles on it? If you got an XK8 with under 30K miles on it for 14K in good shape, you either had pictures of the dealer nude or he is a friend of yours. That's not a standard price for that car and I those deals aren't a dime a dozen. I am not buying it unless it was high mileage.

If you are taking a loan out and a dealer is giving 0% financing, and Toyota is giving 3K cash back, and the dealer is drastically dropping their prices, it's pretty easy to beat a similar equipped used car. (I am talking about essentially a 25K MSRP).

I am not sure what you got for 14K? How many miles on it? If you got an XK8 with under 30K miles on it for 14K in good shape, you either had pictures of the dealer nude or he is a friend of yours. That's not a standard price for that car and I those deals aren't a dime a dozen. I am not buying it unless it was high mileage.

If you are taking a loan out and a dealer is giving 0% financing, and Toyota is giving 3K cash back, and the dealer is drastically dropping their prices, it's pretty easy to beat a similar equipped used car. (I am talking about essentially a 25K MSRP).

it's an '03 with 42k miles, it was a bank repo. Car is excellent cond., everything works well, new tires and brakes. Only flaw that I found was the front seat covers had been dyed.

it's an '03 with 42k miles, it was a bank repo. Car is excellent cond., everything works well, new tires and brakes. Only flaw that I found was the front seat covers had been dyed.

Thats a sweet deal. Not sure where I would go in the dc area to get deals like that.

care to elaborate? remember now, this is 6 cyl $50k car, that you can pick up used now for $18k. 0-60 4.8 sec. So comment appropriately

remember, this is your exact quote:

neither, get the mercedes SLK 32 AMG. It'll roast anything out there up to 165 mph.

You really think thats the case? An SLK32 will "roast anything out there up to 165mph"? I'll give you a shot to change this statement before I reply in detail, because really, its insane.

Right off the top, the SLK32 prob runs a low 13 1/4. Stock C55 is right with it. Stock E55's are low 12's high 11's all day long. The SLK55 is faster than the SLK32. Thats not even getting into CL's, or the 63 motors. Nevermind other car manufacturers...thats just taking into account Mercedes' own lineup.

remember, this is your exact quote:

You really think thats the case? An SLK32 will "roast anything out there up to 165mph"? I'll give you a shot to change this statement before I reply in detail, because really, its insane.

Right off the top, the SLK32 prob runs a low 13 1/4. Stock C55 is right with it. Stock E55's are low 12's high 11's all day long. The SLK55 is faster than the SLK32. Thats not even getting into CL's, or the 63 motors. Nevermind other car manufacturers...thats just taking into account Mercedes' own lineup.

I should've said "in it's class", the op was asking about whether to get a bmw 3 series or an m3. By the way, got any proof of the E55 running high 11's on street tires? I doubt it.

be smart and do what i did....2008 infiniti g37S....its a beautiful car that runs amazing with 330 horses...enough to set you back in your seat. $40,000 new (before negotiation) but that beats 70k for a M3 or whatever they are new

The G is in the class of the 335i. M3 would embarass a g37 in every category.

I should've said "in it's class", the op was asking about whether to get a bmw 3 series or an m3. By the way, got any proof of the E55 running high 11's on street tires? I doubt it.

Yeah I do. 100% bone stock.

http://www.dragtimes.com/2005-Mercedes-Benz-E55-AMG-Videos-11697.html

Bottom line man, the SLK32 is nothing, and shouldnt even be mentioned as a fast car, nevermind a car that "will roast anything up to 165mph".

DeanCollins' foot, please reacquaint yourself with DeanCollins' mouth.

Yeah I do. 100% bone stock.

Bottom line man, the SLK32 is nothing, and shouldnt even be mentioned as a fast car, nevermind a car that "will roast anything up to 165mph".

An E55 super charged V8 is not comparable. The op was comparing an M3. The E55 is comparable to M5. Btw what you do drive? Or are you a sidewalk bench racer? :laugh:

An E55 super charged V8 is not comparable. The op was comparing an M3. The E55 is comparable to M5. Btw what you do drive? Or are you a sidewalk bench racer? :laugh:

Hahaha and an SLK32 is comparable to a 3series or M3 discussion? Come on man, totally different cars. SLK is a roadster with no backseat, 3series or M3, either coupe or sedan is in a totally different class.

But thats a whole different argument in and of itself. Lets not stray from the whole crux of my original reply to you. Your statement:

neither, get the mercedes SLK 32 AMG. It'll roast anything out there up to 165 mph.

Proven incorrect.

And again:

By the way, got any proof of the E55 running high 11's on street tires? I doubt it.

Proven incorrect.

Want to try for 3? Nothing worse than someone on the internet posting up misinformation for people to then regurgitate unknowingly making themselves look like a fool.

Nothing worse than someone on the internet posting up misinformation for people to then regurgitate unknowingly making themselves look like a fool.

Actually, I can think of one thing worse. A know-it-all car snob who acts like an ass. What was that you said about M3 drivers? :rolleyes:

Actually, I can think of one thing worse. A know-it-all car snob who acts like an ass. What was that you said about M3 drivers? :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with facts dude. If you want to read BS with smily faces in between it, we can all hold hands and tell each other how pretty we are.

The SLK32 ;) is the fastest car on the planet up to 165mph :) tell all your friends, m3's are weaksoz :applause: and the slk32 is the best:laugh:

I dont proclaim to know it all, however if you tell me the sky is purple, I will call you out on it. I would hope if I went on searching for info about things i dont know about, there would be someone there to do the same.

Nothing wrong with facts dude. If you want to read BS with smily faces in between it, we can all hold hands and tell each other how pretty we are.

The SLK32 ;) is the fastest car on the planet up to 165mph :) tell all your friends, m3's are weaksoz :applause: and the slk32 is the best:laugh:

I dont proclaim to know it all, however if you tell me the sky is purple, I will call you out on it. I would hope if I went on searching for info about things i dont know about, there would be someone there to do the same.

It's not about what you know or don't know. It's about you acting like an ass. You come on here talking about M3 owners being snobs and jerks, then act like one yourself. Seriously dude. Save your money on the car and invest in a mirror.

Archived