Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BMW 3 series or M3?

Slateman

So every once in a while, I go through a desire to buy a car. Lately, I've been on a BMW kick. When I was home on leave (I'm in the Marines) I drove my uncle's 96 318. I was impressed that a car that old (240k miles) was in that great of shape.

So I went to a dealership. Guy that was there was a Marine during the Persian Gulf War. Oh yea, Slate got himself the hook up. 2009 BMW M3. He copied my ID and tossed me the keys and said, bring it back by tomorrow, COB.

Dear God, I love that car. I've never really enjoyed driving till I drove that car (actually, I enjoyed driving both of the BMWs).

I'm trying to decide what I want. On the one hand, I want the M3. On the other hand, they are pricey. Now, I couldn't afford a new one, obviously.

When I get back from deployment, I'm looking at having a little over 15k as a down payment. Navy Fed will give me a good loan. Can I afford a M3?

More than that, how much of a difference am I gonna notice? Would I be monumentally disappointed by a 3 series? Would I just be better off getting a different car for cheaper?

I'm trying to decide what I want. On the one hand, I want the M3. On the other hand, they are pricey. Now, I couldn't afford a new one, obviously.

When I get back from deployment, I'm looking at having a little over 15k as a down payment. Navy Fed will give me a good loan. Can I afford a M3?

More than that, how much of a difference am I gonna notice? Would I be monumentally disappointed by a 3 series? Would I just be better off getting a different car for cheaper?

At your age and in the military?

Thats way too much debt to take on. You might be able to make the payment, but its fiscally irresponsible.

At your age and in the military?

Thats way too much debt to take on. You might be able to make the payment, but its fiscally irresponsible.

Why? I spend no money on rent and minimal money on food. I have an internet bill and a phone bill. Thats it. Everything else I make goes in to my pocket.

Why? I spend no money on rent and minimal money on food. I have an internet bill and a phone bill. Thats it. Everything else I make goes in to my pocket.

Just because you can spend money and afford a payment on something doesn't mean you should.

This is why people get into financial difficulties. Buying things out of there budget.

But it's your call in the end. My recommendation, wait a few years and reevaluate.

Just because you can spend money and afford a payment on something doesn't mean you should.

This is why people get into financial difficulties. Buying things out of there budget.

But it's your call in the end. My recommendation, wait a few years and reevaluate.

Sorry Slate but I agree with this.

Take your $$$ and buy a house. It's a great time to buy right now. Rent it out if you're going to be out of town most of the time. In a few years you'll probably be able to get the brand new Beamer.

Stick with a certified-used (maybe 1-2 years old) 330 or 335. The M3 can wait. It's a gas guzzler, insurance will be killer, and if you get one that isn't covered by any kind of service plan, repairs will kill you.

Not to mention, is this going to be a daily driver? I don't care where you live... an M3 is overkill as a daily driver. Get a nice car and a beater on the side. You'll be happier and keep the mileage down on your good car.

Sorry Slate but I agree with this.

Take your $$$ and buy a house. It's a great time to buy right now. Rent it out if you're going to be out of town most of the time. In a few years you'll probably be able to get the brand new Beamer.

If I can't afford a BMW, how in the hell do I afford a house!?

M3 is a beast. They are alot though even for a used one as the prices don't drop much on them. You have to remember that the new body just came out so the price isnt going to change much since they will keep the same body for 4-5 years. I dont think you can go wrong with the BMW 335i. Its plenty fast (0-60 in 4.7 or 4.8 sec). You can get a good deal on them too since they came out in 07. I'd look to get a certified one from BMW. They extend the warranty and you'll probably save close to 25k from the M3. Its going to be hard to find a cheap M3

I dont know what american car can compare with an M3. I'd choose the M3 over a corvette anyday

thats ****ing ridiculous. whats so good about an M3? youre a sheep for the brand name. 300's are sick ass cars. Caddys are nice cars. you want the beemer because its a status symbol.

1. You are in the military, talk to mikeinalexandria about loans and programs for military.

2. You will have $15k to put down.

that used to piss me off about the military. the banks KNOW you have to pay them back so they sucker you in with that nice big loan and next thing you know youre neck deep and unable to make rent.

thats ****ing ridiculous. whats so good about an M3? youre a sheep for the brand name. 300's are sick ass cars. Caddys are nice cars. you want the beemer because its a status symbol.

I've driven a 300. The M3 wipes the floor with it.

The thing about the brand name is that its reputation is usually warranted. Basically, put a corvette engine in a coupe/sedan body.

I've driven a 300. The M3 wipes the floor with it.

The thing about the brand name is that its reputation is usually warranted. Basically, put a corvette engine in a coupe/sedan body.

riiiiiiiiiiiight. so while youre jocking this german piece of crap you are also helping to contribute to the downfall of Detroit and GM.

but hey, youll look cool in your aviators and beemer. :cheers:

But Slate, I think what people are saying is that you shouldn't buy the car. I know all of your buddies drive kick ass cars but what kind of money are you going to have saved since being in the military and being deployed on base?

Do you have any investments? Are you saving for your house, your retirement, investing your extra cash to make money, not just earn it?

If you are doing all of those things, sure, get the M3!

riiiiiiiiiiiight. so while youre jocking this german piece of crap you are also helping to contribute to the downfall of Detroit and GM.

The only thing he would be doing is purchasing the better vehicle. That's basic economics. Detriot will do better once they figure out how to make cars that one the level of a BMW, etc. And them suffering only makes this happen faster.:2cents:

The LAST thing you should waste your money on would be a car.

The M3 will cost as much as a house payment, so buy a house instead and have something to show for the money in five years.

That said, I love my '98 M3. I'd love to trade up for the '09 but I'm not tryin to spend $1300+ per month on a car. If you really love the bimmer, buy something used. You can find nice E46 M's for 25K which is $400 per month depending on credit score. Get you one of those to start out and then in a few years you can grab a used '09 for much cheaper.

:2cents:

If your comparing an M3 to a caddy or a chrysler 300 your nuts. Its not just for a status symbol. Please go drive an M3 then report back.

Piece of crap? When Detriot and GM start making cars on par with an M3, then I might consider buying american. I'd buy Japanese over american now, let alone German cars. Just compare the interior of German cars with americans and thats all you really need to see.

Piece of crap? When Detriot and GM start making cars on par with an M3, then I might consider buying american. I'd buy Japanese over american now, let alone German cars. Just compare the interior of German cars with americans and thats all you really need to see.

I want to curse and be rude so badly here....

the fact that you threw "Id buy Japanese over American" shows you have ZERO loyalty or sense when it comes to cars. There isnt a ****ing SINGLE japanese car that is as nice as the 300. and thats the truth.

Archived