Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BMW 3 series or M3?

Slateman

The M3 is a great car, but pricey. If you want a decent BMW get a 3 series like a 325. The M3 has a V8 new for this year-414hp, but you can get a nice and powerful (300hp) from a 335i (twin turbo V6).

If you don't need 4 doors, look into a 1 series, the new 135i has the same engine as the 335i but is about $7,000 less expensive. It also weighs less so you will get a little bit more performance out of the 135 than the 335.

So every once in a while, I go through a desire to buy a car. Lately, I've been on a BMW kick. When I was home on leave (I'm in the Marines) I drove my uncle's 96 318. I was impressed that a car that old (240k miles) was in that great of shape.

So I went to a dealership. Guy that was there was a Marine during the Persian Gulf War. Oh yea, Slate got himself the hook up. 2009 BMW M3. He copied my ID and tossed me the keys and said, bring it back by tomorrow, COB.

Dear God, I love that car. I've never really enjoyed driving till I drove that car (actually, I enjoyed driving both of the BMWs).

I'm trying to decide what I want. On the one hand, I want the M3. On the other hand, they are pricey. Now, I couldn't afford a new one, obviously.

When I get back from deployment, I'm looking at having a little over 15k as a down payment. Navy Fed will give me a good loan. Can I afford a M3?

More than that, how much of a difference am I gonna notice? Would I be monumentally disappointed by a 3 series? Would I just be better off getting a different car for cheaper?

I see you got a lot of feedback in this thread, some of it I don't agree with. I will put it to you like this. If you feel you can afford to loose the amount of beer money its going to cost you, then get it, you only live once. Personally, I would get a Certified Pre Owned car that is about 2 years old. You can knock off close to half of the original sticker price. Your in the military, sounds like you are single so you are living in the barracks and have no family to take care of. You should be able to afford it, especially after a deployment.

I recently bought Mercedes E350, I LOVE the car. I usually have serious buyers remorse when I buy big purchases. I have had NONE since getting this car, its absolute heaven to drive. I would reccommend getting the Benz over the Bimmer, but that is personal choice. I can easily say I will NEVER buy American again, I am a permenent Benz owner. Don't let these fools talk about the high cost of maintence. Its not much more. I recently took my Benz in for annual service and it cost me $290. Make sure you get your services done on time, it will save you in the long run. Like the other poster said check out the C63AMG, or if you feel like you want to be original check out brabus. If you can find a Brabus tuned Benz you will be in business, but it will cost you. The C63AMG does 0-60 in 3.9.....amazing. Probably best bang for the buck. If we want to get out of class and talk about the SLK, I can do you one better, check out the SL65 AMG Black Series :drool:, but that is not even a reasonable cost.

Hahaha and an SLK32 is comparable to a 3series or M3 discussion? Come on man, totally different cars. SLK is a roadster with no backseat, 3series or M3, either coupe or sedan is in a totally different class.

And so is an E55, thanks for proving yourself irrelevant. :rolleyes:

But thats a whole different argument in and of itself. Lets not stray from the whole crux of my original reply to you. Your statement:

Proven incorrect.

taken out of context, edit removed, additional comments not accepted, and you added "on the planet" :rolleyes: Oh that's right, it's perfectly acceptable to be intellectually dishonest in Philly, carry on. ;)

And again:

Proven incorrect.

nice video, prove that the car had street tires. You can't

What kind of car do you drive? You didn't tell us. :laugh:

vvvvv blah blah, blah blah blah :laugh:

And so is an E55, thanks for proving yourself irrelevant. :rolleyes:

Find where I said an E55 is comparable to an m3 or 3 series. i didnt. however again YOUR direct response to the question was:

neither, get the mercedes SLK 32 AMG. It'll roast anything out there up to 165 mph.

Which is wrong man. Plain and simple. I gave you multiple cars that classify as "anything" without even leaving the mercedes lineup that are faster. Period. Admit it.

taken out of context, edit removed, additional comments not accepted, and you added "on the planet" :rolleyes: Oh that's right, it's perfectly acceptable to be intellectually dishonest in Philly, carry on. ;)

Just filler to divert your attn from the fact you made a retarded statement and got called out on it.

nice video, prove that the car had street tires. You can't

What if I told you I was driving it? Would you ask me to post up a pic of the pinkslip? Keep reaching...

What kind of car do you drive? You didn't tell us. :laugh:

Does it matter? Do you want to whip out car titles and "see who's bigger?"

You recommended a car to him on false pretenses. You were wrong. I pointed it out with just a few of a thousand examples. Period. End of story.

My dad just recently bought a new vehicle. He was looking at the M3 four door because he needs to haul clients around DC on occasion. The dealership couldn't find one for him during these horrible economic times....and the four door doesn't come w/ the cool carbon fiber roof.

I suggested that he look at a "comparable" Merc.

One test drive of the AMG C63 and he parked it in his driveway. What an awesome car this thing is.....I drive it on occasion and it is a freakin' beast.

That said - my first car was a 1972 BMW 2002 Ti. So my heart still lies w/ the blue and white of Bimmers....but holy schnikes that Merc is ridiculous.

Good luck w/ whichever vehicle you buy....enjoy it....and thanks for your service to our country.

GV

CLK 63 Black Series :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huTaB2BpNNw (watch in high quality)

pretty sure this is out of your price range though (110kish)

The economy has absolutely destroyed those cars...saw one go for $90k recently with 2k miles. Talk about depreciation...an 08 with 2k miles nearly half price!!! Siiiiiick car though.

Love the story on the C63...its so true. If you drive one, you'll want it. Amazing car.

Archived