Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Mangini Agrees to 4 year deal to coach Browns

redskins0756

ESPN NFL - Sources tell ESPN's Michael Smith that Eric Mangini has agreed to a 4 year deal to coach the Cleveland Browns.

UPDATE (SkinsMaster88 thanks I was too lazy to go to espn.com :P):

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3817088

Source: Mangini agrees to 4-year deal

The Cleveland Browns have agreed to hire former New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini as their head coach.

Mangini, fired last week by the Jets, agreed to four-year deal, a source close to the situation told ESPN.com's Michael Smith.

Mangini is being represented by agent Ron Shapiro, who is Mangini's father-in-law.

The 37-year-old Mangini began his NFL career in Cleveland. He started out as a Browns ball boy and was later a public relations intern. He has never forgotten his football roots. When the Jets played the Browns in recent seasons, Mangini bought a catered lunch of Italian food for Cleveland reporters.

Mangini was dismissed after the Jets collapsed by losing four of their final five games. He went 23-25 and made the playoffs once in three seasons.

Mangini has ties to the Cleveland area. He is the brother-in-law of Cleveland Indians general manager Mark Shapiro.

Mangini's hiring could also lead to former head coach Romeo Crennel staying with the Browns, perhaps as their defensive coordinator. Crennel, fired after the team went 4-12 this season, told owner Randy Lerner he was open to staying, depending on who was brought in to replace him. Crennel and Mangini worked as defensive assistants on Bill Belichick's staff in New England from 2001-2004.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3817088

Source: Mangini agrees to 4-year deal

The Cleveland Browns have agreed to hire former New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini as their head coach.

Mangini, fired last week by the Jets, agreed to four-year deal, a source close to the situation told ESPN.com's Michael Smith.

Mangini is being represented by agent Ron Shapiro, who is Mangini's father-in-law.

The 37-year-old Mangini began his NFL career in Cleveland. He started out as a Browns ball boy and was later a public relations intern. He has never forgotten his football roots. When the Jets played the Browns in recent seasons, Mangini bought a catered lunch of Italian food for Cleveland reporters.

Mangini was dismissed after the Jets collapsed by losing four of their final five games. He went 23-25 and made the playoffs once in three seasons.

Mangini has ties to the Cleveland area. He is the brother-in-law of Cleveland Indians general manager Mark Shapiro.

Mangini's hiring could also lead to former head coach Romeo Crennel staying with the Browns, perhaps as their defensive coordinator. Crennel, fired after the team went 4-12 this season, told owner Randy Lerner he was open to staying, depending on who was brought in to replace him. Crennel and Mangini worked as defensive assistants on Bill Belichick's staff in New England from 2001-2004.

Jesus, Mangini is only 37?
He looks much older...the added weight hasn't helped him any.
Link was updated or a new one was made. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3817088

Rob Ryan will be coming from Oakland since his contract expired to be the DC for Cleveland.

Mangini tried to get Ryan for his DC from Al Davis a year or two ago and Davis blocked it.

Rumors are flying about Mangini bringing numerous defensive staff with him from the Jets. My guess is the offensive staff will stay intact with Schotty kids staying on as OC or Asst HC under a defensive minded HC.

is there anyone in Cleveland who thinks this is a good idea...with all the candidates out there, this is really the best they could do??

That's what I was thinking as well...with the success the rookie head coaches had this season, I'm surprised Cleveland didn't try that route instead of hiring a mediocre retread. Hell, even Zorn went 8-8, and that was the worst record of the rookie coaches.

is there anyone in Cleveland who thinks this is a good idea...with all the candidates out there, this is really the best they could do??

Well, I have polled the Browns fans around here that I know and not a one of them is pleased with the hire.

I guess the cheers will continue to be "Go Buckeyes....the Browns SUCK".

Archived