Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who do we draft if the "Big Four" Tackles are gone before 13?

LandryLaysWood

After looking at some mock drafts and coming up with scenarios on my own I've realized that there is a very good possibility that the "Big Four" OTs in this year's draft may all be gone before we draft at 13. That would include Andre Smith (Alabama), Michael Oher (Ole Miss), Jason Smith (Baylor), Eugene Monroe (UVA). My assumption for this years draft is that the first 12 picks go somewhat as follows:

1) Detroit- Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia

2) St. Louis- Andre Smith, T, Alabama

3) Kansas City- Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas

4) Seattle- Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

5) Cleveland- Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest

6) Cincinnati- Michael Oher, T, Ole Miss

7) Oakland- Jason Smith, T, Baylor

8) Jacksonville- Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC

9) Green Bay- Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State

10) San Francisco- Eugene Monroe, T, UVA

11) Buffalo- Taylor Mays, S, USC

12) Denver- James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State

Now obviously this is a very rough sketch of the first round so don't be too critical on this part. My point is it is very possible that the "Big Four" could all be gone. I would love to see us take an OT to replace Jansen/Heyer to bolster our offensive line which was absolutely horrible this year. That leaves us with a few others scenarios:

1) Trade Down- With the big 4 gone it may make sense to try and trade down a bit to try and acquire extra picks since we really don't have many this year and have more than a few needs.

2) Ciron Black, T, LSU

3) Michael Johnson, DE, GT

4) Duke Robinson, G, Oklahoma

Any thoughts where else we would possibly go?

:dallasuck

After looking at some mock drafts and coming up with scenarios on my own I've realized that there is a very good possibility that the "Big Four" OTs in this year's draft may all be gone before we draft at 13. That would include Andre Smith (Alabama), Michael Oher (Ole Miss), Jason Smith (Baylor), Eugene Monroe (UVA). My assumption for this years draft is that the first 12 picks go somewhat as follows:

1) Detroit- Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia

2) St. Louis- Andre Smith, T, Alabama

3) Kansas City- Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas

4) Seattle- Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

5) Cleveland- Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest

6) Cincinnati- Michael Oher, T, Ole Miss

7) Oakland- Jason Smith, T, Baylor

8) Jacksonville- Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC

9) Green Bay- Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State

10) San Francisco- Eugene Monroe, T, UVA

11) Buffalo- Taylor Mays, S, USC

12) Denver- James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State

Now obviously this is a very rough sketch of the first round so don't be too critical on this part. My point is it is very possible that the "Big Four" could all be gone. I would love to see us take an OT to replace Jansen/Heyer to bolster our offensive line which was absolutely horrible this year. That leaves us with a few others scenarios:

1) Trade Down- With the big 4 gone it may make sense to try and trade down a bit to try and acquire extra picks since we really don't have many this year and have more than a few needs.

2) Ciron Black, T, LSU

3) Michael Johnson, DE, GT

4) Duke Robinson, G, Oklahoma

Any thoughts where else we would possibly go?

:dallasuck

I really like Robinson, by the way.

Best option would be to trade down. I know most people are targeting Detroit as the best trade partner, but we should think about trading with Philly. They have fewer needs than Detroit and may be more willing to part with a pick since they already have 2 first round picks. It would be a pretty even trade if we got their 1st rounder via Carolina as well as their 2nd round pick. With those picks, we should be able to get Alex Mack and a fine linebacker or DT in the second round. With our pick in the third round, we could easily land Alex Boone or Jamon Meredith.

If we can't trade down, I'd go for an elite linebacker or def. end. Then seek a right tackle (Boone) in the 3rd round and a guard/ctr in the 5th round.

I don't support drafting a position just to be drafting a position if you don't think the guy's got value at that slot. If they don't think much of who's available at 13, try to trade out. Even then though, it takes two to tango on that.

I agree. I would say that there is a strong chance the top DT is available. This years DT class isn't strong at the top. I would say there is only two worth taking at the top, Cody and Raji. Marks is small and Perria is a high second round.

I would first try to trade down and grab Duke Robinson a bit later; he may be a big reach at 13 but there is no way to know what certain players stock will look like come draft day. A pure Guard taken that high is very rare. I think Hutch was taken at 17 and he was one of the best Guard prospects ever. Another choice for me would be Clint Sintim, OLB from Virginia. If we could trade down and get him that would be awesome but something tells me his stock is going to go up a decent amount between now and the draft. IMO he is the best OLB fit for us. He is a pass rushing demon (has more career sacks than most of the DE prospects in this class), plays the run very well, great instincts, and is pretty good in coverage for a guy his size (6'3 254). Curry will be the first LB taken but he is more of a run stuffing and coverage OLB, not much of a sack guy, which is what we are in dire need of. Mack I would definitely pick up if we traded down but I really doubt he'll be a top 15 pick so 13 would be a major reach.

Trade back and go for Robinison/Mack/Jason Smith

or if they can't

James Laurinaitis

With the tackles gone, I feel like he would be the best player available, but also fits a need. (doubt MWash is coming back) I do agree with the we need to focus on the lines, but we also need good talent.

QUESTION:

If the Redskins are able to get a stud OL in the FA like Gross, for those of you who are crazy for him, do we then go DT first round?

This year's DT class is pretty weak. BJ Raji is probably the top prospect and I think he is graded at a low 1st/high 2nd at the moment. Terrence Cody has said he is staying for his Senior year so he won't be available. With how deep the draft is at OL I'd much rather go after Henderson in FA and then draft OL or LB in the 1st or 2nd, depending on who is there. :2cents:

But the "we should take . . . ." discussions in terms of specific players doesn't make much sense, cuz this being December, some of these guys could wind up as 3rd picks by the time the draft comes around. We still got 4 months to go.

So would you like to talk about how we just missed the playoffs?:rolleyes:

Trade up, trade down, stand pat, whatever.

I'd like to see "Line" in the position description of our earlier picks.

O-Lineman

D-Lineman

Linebacker.

Whoever we have rated the highest at any of these positions when it's our turn is fine by me.

It's all a crap shoot anyway.

At this point I would want to trade back to 20(lions) get a extra second rounder and do this.

13. 1150 points

80. 190 points

1340 points

to Lions for

20. 850 points

33. 580 points

1430 points

20. Everette Brown

33. Alex Mack

or Herman Johnson

or Sen 'Derrick Marks

or Brandon Spikes

Probably won't happen but we can dream, right.

Archived