Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who do we draft if the "Big Four" Tackles are gone before 13?

LandryLaysWood

Agreed if we are shut out of the quality Oline men then DT of course that will make to much sense to vinny and danny

I completely agree that we need DT help. But you can't just say "well if OL isn't there draft a DT" because you have to take value into account. If the best DT on the board at 13 is a guy who is generally rated as a 20-25 pick do you really want to reach for that? You also have to take into consideration what KIND of DT the guy is. A big fattie who will clog the lane? A penetrating 3 technique guy who can rush the QB from inside? I'm not saying "BPA", I'm saying "best value for a position of need".

After looking at some mock drafts and coming up with scenarios on my own I've realized that there is a very good possibility that the "Big Four" OTs in this year's draft may all be gone before we draft at 13. That would include Andre Smith (Alabama), Michael Oher (Ole Miss), Jason Smith (Baylor), Eugene Monroe (UVA). My assumption for this years draft is that the first 12 picks go somewhat as follows:

1) Detroit- Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia

2) St. Louis- Andre Smith, T, Alabama

3) Kansas City- Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas

4) Seattle- Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

5) Cleveland- Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest

6) Cincinnati- Michael Oher, T, Ole Miss

7) Oakland- Jason Smith, T, Baylor

8) Jacksonville- Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC

9) Green Bay- Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State

10) San Francisco- Eugene Monroe, T, UVA

11) Buffalo- Taylor Mays, S, USC

12) Denver- James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State

Now obviously this is a very rough sketch of the first round so don't be too critical on this part. My point is it is very possible that the "Big Four" could all be gone. I would love to see us take an OT to replace Jansen/Heyer to bolster our offensive line which was absolutely horrible this year. That leaves us with a few others scenarios:

1) Trade Down- With the big 4 gone it may make sense to try and trade down a bit to try and acquire extra picks since we really don't have many this year and have more than a few needs.

2) Ciron Black, T, LSU

3) Michael Johnson, DE, GT

4) Duke Robinson, G, Oklahoma

Any thoughts where else we would possibly go?

:dallasuck

If this is the scenario, then I go Johnson. It's always helpful to have a big Johnson on the team!

Now that would be the way to go then, grab a high to mid 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder as well.

Duke Robinson with that 2nd rounder!!

I like Duke Robinson also. But I really don't see him making it out of the 1st round. MAYBE high 2nd, but I doubt it. We would need to trade back to a later 1st and pick up a 3rd to get him methinks.

To answer the question, I'm not a big fan of picking OT unless it is the BPA. It isn't as much of a need as some areas, since we can make do with Samuels and Heyer. If Alex Mack dropped to us, I wouldn't mind it, but I'm more interested in drafting DT.

This year's DT class is pretty weak. BJ Raji is probably the top prospect and I think he is graded at a low 1st/high 2nd at the moment. Terrence Cody has said he is staying for his Senior year so he won't be available. With how deep the draft is at OL I'd much rather go after Henderson in FA and then draft OL or LB in the 1st or 2nd, depending on who is there. :2cents:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80dc416b&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Vic Carucci did a rough mock of the first 15 picks. He had Gerald McCoy as the high DT prospect at #9. BJ Ragi went a couple picks after us at #15.

He had us picking Everette Brown. I don't see it. I don't think we need yet another undersized DE.

If we trade down what is the likely value of the #13 overall pick?

Could we get a high to mid 2 round pick and another 3rd rounder or is that unrealistic?

Yes, we could conceivably have two 2nds and two 3rds if we traded down twice. I don't think that will happen. I think we will trade down once and get a 2nd round pick, thus having a low 1st, high 2nd, our 3rd, 5th and 6th. Who knows what VC is going to do though. If we trade down one time, I'd like to see us get either Robinson if he's there or Alex Mack, C from Cal.. He's the best C in the draft hands down.

To answer the question, I'm not a big fan of picking OT unless it is the BPA. It isn't as much of a need as some areas, since we can make do with Samuels and Heyer. If Alex Mack dropped to us, I wouldn't mind it, but I'm more interested in drafting DT.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80dc416b&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Vic Carucci did a rough mock of the first 15 picks. He had Gerald McCoy as the high DT prospect at #9. BJ Ragi went a couple picks after us at #15.

He had us picking Everette Brown. I don't see it. I don't think we need yet another undersized DE.

Gerald McCoy? You really think he will declare? He is a RS Sophomore this year. Yeah, he is technically eligible but I don't see him as the elite sort of talent that could come out and get drafted high. I have a hunch he will stick around Oklahoma for another year.

I like Duke Robinson also. But I really don't see him making it out of the 1st round. MAYBE high 2nd, but I doubt it. We would need to trade back to a later 1st and pick up a 3rd to get him methinks.

I really hope he's the first guy on our draft boards, the man is an elite guard. I don't think we can justify taking him with the #13 overall though, like you said we'd have to trade down to a late first or early second.

I have this twisted dream about trading down and drafting Duke and Phil Loadholt...for some reason it just seems to make sense. We need a tackle and we need to get younger at guard, why not draft two talented guys that already have cohesiveness together?

Yes, we could conceivably have two 2nds and two 3rds if we traded down twice. I don't think that will happen. I think we will trade down once and get a 2nd round pick, thus having a low 1st, high 2nd, our 3rd, 5th and 6th. Who knows what VC is going to do though. If we trade down one time, I'd like to see us get either Robinson if he's there or Alex Mack, C from Cal.. He's the best C in the draft hands down.

I like Mack too. I just finished posting that I'd really like to grab Robinson and his teammate Phil Loadholt.

To me, I think we need to get younger at guard and of course fix the RT position. But Alex Mack is about the only center worth replacing Rabach with IMO.

I see you're from WV...you a Mountaineers fan?

I'd spend a low 1st round pick on Alex Mack if we trade down. Another option would be to take a DT/DE with our low 1st round pick such as DTs Ndamukong Suh or Peria Jerry or DEs Tyson Jackson or Greg Hardy. I would then nab Max Unger in the 2nd. So many ways this draft could go.

Gerald McCoy? You really think he will declare? He is a RS Sophomore this year. Yeah, he is technically eligible but I don't see him as the elite sort of talent that could come out and get drafted high. I have a hunch he will stick around Oklahoma for another year.

Not my opinion, Vic's. Course, with things being this early, everything is a rough estimate.

That being said, if the DT crop is THAT weak and he thinks he can be the top DT in this draft, it might be worth it to declare.

I like Mack too. I just finished posting that I'd really like to grab Robinson and his teammate Phil Loadholt.

To me, I think we need to get younger at guard and of course fix the RT position. But Alex Mack is about the only center worth replacing Rabach with IMO.

I see you're from WV...you a Mountaineers fan?

Go Neers. It's gonna be hard to replace White.

JUST SAY NO TO DE THIS DRAFT CLASS!!!

No matter who we draft, they will not be able to generate a pass rush without inside pressure. All the top DE's are lightweight speed rushers. We have Carter, and possibly Taylor, and if not Wilson and Jackson. Evans has done an oustanding job and is great at the run. I would like to see him start opposite Carter with more inside help. Obviously if a top DE is there at amazing value, we should snag him, but I would not target a DE at all.

I think he will go BPA with any first day picks we end up with. He justified all 3 second rounders in 2008 as being the BPA.

Eliminate any position at your peril :)

After such scrutiny, and obviously poor reasoning last draft, and VC on the hot seat, I would bet he does not make the same mistake this draft. I don't care if he spends all draft picks on OL and DT IMO

JUST SAY NO TO DE THIS DRAFT CLASS!!!

No matter who we draft, they will not be able to generate a pass rush without inside pressure. All the top DE's are lightweight speed rushers. We have Carter, and possibly Taylor, and if not Wilson and Jackson. Evans has done an oustanding job and is great at the run. I would like to see him start opposite Carter with more inside help. Obviously if a top DE is there at amazing value, we should snag him, but I would not target a DE at all.

yeah especially someone like Michael Johnson... We absolutely need our 1st rounder to contribute immediately, and there's too much bust potential there with Johnson.

I've got my fingers crossed that we draft White in the 4th or somewhere after...you know he's going to be like a bigger, faster, younger version of ARE.

White was a special player in NCAAF. I don't know how his talent will translate to the NFL. He has uncanny vision when it comes to running the ball. He can see lanes open before it happens. We don't have a 4th round pick (i.e., 1st, 3rd, 5th and 6th) I believe. Someone will take a chance with him. I think he will be a boom or bust in the NFL when he gets his chance to play. He was special here at WV though.

I'm not saying that we should draft a Tackle.

But look back over the past drafts. I looked at the past 20, never were 4 tackles taken in the first 12 picks. Usually 1-2, sometimes 0 and a couple times 3, never 4 though. So if they want a tackle at 13 there should be one of the first 4.

I really don't see Detroit taking a QB with the first pick. I think Mayhew is going to surprise some people and take an O-Lineman with the first pick. Either that or someone on defense. Not a QB. If they want a QB, there will probably be one at the pick they have with the Dallas pick.

Archived