Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who do we draft if the "Big Four" Tackles are gone before 13?

LandryLaysWood

Ya, the draft is so predictable. We should have a good feel on how it is going to go no later than New Year's. :doh:

I don't know if you have trouble reading at all but after those picks I followed that up with "Now obviously this is a very rough sketch of the first round so don't be too critical on this part. My point is it is very possible that the "Big Four" could all be gone."

It was just showing that it is very possible that the "Big Four" could be gone, and if that happened I wanted to see everyone's thoughts. It usually helps to read an entire post before you get critical. :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Not to be the turd in the punchbowl here, but isn't it pretty futile to be projecting specific players at draft positions right now? We haven't seen these guys in the senior bowl, individual workouts, the combine, etc, and we know that between now and April they'll be bouncing all over the draft boards. I think we all agree with the generics of our draft needs, OL and DL first, but isn't it a bit early to be talking specific names?

Not to be the turd in the punchbowl here, but isn't it pretty futile to be projecting specific players at draft positions right now? We haven't seen these guys in the senior bowl, individual workouts, the combine, etc, and we know that between now and April they'll be bouncing all over the draft boards. I think we all agree with the generics of our draft needs, OL and DL first, but isn't it a bit early to be talking specific names?

I agree to some extent. However, there are already rankings out and things do change. But they don't change quite as much as you suggested. The biggest "change" or surprise is on draft day. Between now and draft day, we will see most of the players ranked around where they are now with a few exceptions. However, when you are talking the top half of the draft, there are few changes.

If we don't talk offseason moves and transactions, then why be on ES? After all, the season is over. Its no different than talking football with your buddies.

Here are a couple of maxims that everyone here can go by when we look at pick 13.

1. There will be no guard selected at pick 13.
  2. There will be no center selected at pick 13.
  3. There will be no guard/center combo player selected at 13.
  4. The only positions on the field that are NEVER selected in the first 15 picks of the draft are G, C, K and P.

Everything else is fair game but please...PUH-lease....don't write that any team will select one of the four positions noted above at the 13th pick in the draft. Maybe they SHOULD select them...but it won't happen.

Having said that...I will have a mock draft up soon but I think that one of those OT's will be available at 13. To the OP...I like your mock but I think one or two of these CB's are going to wow GM's and sneak into the top 10 which will push an OT down. As a Skins fan I'm hoping for Oher at 13 if they have to stay there. If not then trade down and see about a DE like George Selvie or Greg Hardy and then a Duke Robinson or another O-lineman with the second pick. :2cents:

I can really see us picking a LB in Rd 1' date=' whatever # it ends up being.[/quote']

I would **** a ****ing brick if we did that, unless for some reason we address both an OL and DT in the FA, then maybe I could understand. But I just don't think even then that our OL or DT positions will be that solid after a couple of FA to justify a LB in the first round.

I agree to some extent. However, there are already rankings out and things do change. But they don't change quite as much as you suggested. The biggest "change" or surprise is on draft day. Between now and draft day, we will see most of the players ranked around where they are now with a few exceptions. However, when you are talking the top half of the draft, there are few changes.

If we don't talk offseason moves and transactions, then why be on ES? After all, the season is over. Its no different than talking football with your buddies.

All fair points. I guess there really wouldn't be any point to this board if folks didn't reach for draft speculation. I mean, how many different ways can you think of to say "Fire Vinny"?

I would **** a ****ing brick if we did that, unless for some reason we address both an OL and DT in the FA, then maybe I could understand. But I just don't think even then that our OL or DT positions will be that solid after a couple of FA to justify a LB in the first round.

Agreed. I think the Skins' LB's are actually very good if they just had some DT's to keep blockers off of them.

If we can't trade down and the top OL are gone at 13, would you rather reach big time by picking up one of the lesser OL talents at that spot or would you go with another position of need (OLB for example) where you could get one of the top prospects?

Here are a couple of maxims that everyone here can go by when we look at pick 13.

1. There will be no guard selected at pick 13.
  2. There will be no center selected at pick 13.
  3. There will be no guard/center combo player selected at 13.
  4. The only positions on the field that are NEVER selected in the first 15 picks of the draft are G, C, K and P.

Everything else is fair game but please...PUH-lease....don't write that any team will select one of the four positions noted above at the 13th pick in the draft. Maybe they SHOULD select them...but it won't happen.

Having said that...I will have a mock draft up soon but I think that one of those OT's will be available at 13. To the OP...I like your mock but I think one or two of these CB's are going to wow GM's and sneak into the top 10 which will push an OT down. As a Skins fan I'm hoping for Oher at 13 if they have to stay there. If not then trade down and see about a DE like George Selvie or Greg Hardy and then a Duke Robinson or another O-lineman with the second pick. :2cents:

Hmmm, Brandon Albert was drafted just last year as a what, oh yeah, Gaurd, number 15 overall.

Why would we grab a speed rusher without any inside pressure, i don't understand why people keep petitioning for a speed rushing DE this years draft.

If we can't trade down and the top OL are gone at 13, would you rather reach big time by picking up one of the lesser OL talents at that spot or would you go with another position of need (OLB for example) where you could get one of the top prospects?

Reach!!! J/K, but if the top OL are gone, then I would bet the top DT would be there. I just find it hard for us to draft a LB in the first round without addressing the other MUCH bigger needs.

Reach!!! J/K, but if the top OL are gone, then I would bet the top DT would be there. I just find it hard for us to draft a LB in the first round without addressing the other MUCH bigger needs.

As I said before this DT class is weak. Peria Jerry and BJ Raji will likely be the top prospects at that position and both are graded for now as low 1st rounders. I'd much rather go after Henderson in FA and look for OL in the draft since this class is deep with OL. That also means that if we can't trade back from 13 and the top OL prospects are off the board we could go with a top OLB prospect and bank on good value at OL later, especially if we can somehow get a 2nd rounder via a trade or something else.

Hmmm, Brandon Albert was drafted just last year as a what, oh yeah, Gaurd, number 15 overall.

Why would we grab a speed rusher without any inside pressure, i don't understand why people keep petitioning for a speed rushing DE this years draft.

They drafted Albert to become a Tackle, which is what he plays now and is what he is listed as on their site.

As I said before this DT class is weak. Peria Jerry and BJ Raji will likely be the top prospects at that position and both are graded for now as low 1st rounders. I'd much rather go after Henderson in FA and look for OL in the draft since this class is deep with OL. That also means that if we can't trade back from 13 and the top OL prospects are off the board we could go with a top OLB prospect and bank on good value at OL later, especially if we can somehow get a 2nd rounder via a trade or something else.

I understand what you are saying, but you are describing a losing situation to some regards. It makes sense, but I doubt that situation comes up, especially with the FA looming.

Raji is rated higher than a low first from many rankings I've seen.

If all 4 Big O Tackles are gone

We go with a big D Tackle. Done and done.

TRENCHES PEOPLE. ITS ALL ABOUT THE TRENCHES THIS YEAR. (And an Outside LB) (And a CB) (And a GM) (And a Jumbotron)

Agreed if we are shut out of the quality Oline men then DT of course that will make to much sense to vinny and danny

If we trade down what is the likely value of the #13 overall pick?

Could we get a high to mid 2 round pick and another 3rd rounder or is that unrealistic?

VERY realisitic. Afterall, if you trade the 13th overall pick and you only get a second, what the heck is that. Worst case scenario, we get the thrid round pick and swap later picks.

VERY realisitic. Afterall, if you trade the 13th overall pick and you only get a second, what the heck is that. Worst case scenario, we get the thrid round pick and swap later picks.

Now that would be the way to go then, grab a high to mid 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder as well.

Duke Robinson with that 2nd rounder!!

Archived