Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else miss ole Joe?

footballhenry

I don't think it was a coincidence that Gibbs, Saunders and now Zorn were all considered "too conservative" when Jason Campbell was QB.

They didn't look like that with Collins or a healthy Brunell (he was usually playing injured when he sucked).

I don't think Gibbs was as bad of a playcaller as we might have thought.

I think that this is an interesting take. We were not complaining about the Offense with Todd Collins in those final four games, we were celebrating the play calling. Also Both the '05 team and '07 could put up point with a healthy Brunell and TC. The games where we sucked 1.) Brunell was injured, 2.) Ramsey was the worst QB in the league, I remember watching him throw a pick six on the first play or 3.) Campbell has been in. Now its the question were Gibbs and Sunders too conservative or is Jason Campbell not the answer?

**on a side note** we should have given Collins another shot...after watching some of last seasons highlights its clear that the man has a quick release, and deadly accuracy (i know he doesnt have the power but thats not all that counts in the NFL) even in the face of pressure, in fact if anyone looks back at the Bears and Giants games youll see that he is pressured countless times only to complete passes to wr's in stride. just sayin...

Collins' modest talent was maximized by his decade-long familiarity with Saunders' system. Give him credit - he used his time well and prepared and I'm grateful for the run he gave us, but Collins is NOT that good of a QB.

Zorn isn't good, but Gibbs 2.0 wasn't good either. Just because Zorn has severely disappointed us doesn't mean that Gibbs did a better job. The offense under Gibbs was a disaster too. He was lucky he had one of the best defenses in the league 3 out of his 4 years, or we would have NEVER made the playoffs under him. He had his share of botched trades and failed picks as well, and with Campbell being his legacy it's not looking good. He also made several coaching blunders, stuck with brunell for way too long, and was just as stubborn as Zorn.

Zorn is the anti JG...fading at the end of the season vs. getting better. Blaming players for losses vs. taking responsibility. Airing dirty laundry vs. keeping it in house. "They didn't execute" vs. "they fought their guts out" West Coast Offense vs. Coryell Tree. No playoffs vs. playoffs. Players quit on vs. Players would run through brick walls for.

Me.

Anyone who says Collins saved JG's heading to the playoffs doesn't see the whole picture.

Even JG had limits of changes he could make.

JG obviously never really believed in Campbell. And I think rightly so. Campbell has been here for the same reason that we drafted a punter and kept him over someone who was better (but not great)... and it took 4 games to dump him.

Same reason Tryon is still on our team.

Zorn is the anti JG...fading at the end of the season vs. getting better. Blaming players for losses vs. taking responsibility. Airing dirty laundry vs. keeping it in house. "They didn't execute" vs. "they fought their guts out" West Coast Offense vs. Coryell Tree. No playoffs vs. playoffs. Players quit on vs. Players would run through brick walls for.

That about covers it.

:cheers:

I don't miss Gibbs, though. I miss certain things about his style of coaching, but it was time to hang up the headset. He'll always be remembered as one of the best HC of all time and I'm fine with that.

Unfortunately it's time for the organization and fans to move on to the next decade of mediocrity.

Unfortunately it's time for the organization and fans to move on to the next decade of mediocrity.

decade? that's very optimistic of you. Dan Snyder is the owner probably for another 30 years at least. It's time for the organization and the fans to move on to the next quarter century of mediocrity.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I agree 100%.:cheers:

One thing I don't understand about some of the posters in this thread that say Gibb 2.0 was a failure is that it seems they aren't looking at the bigger picture. In his second tenure he took a sub-500 team and made them a playoff contender. We had ONE playoff appearance in the previous 15? or so years before Gibbs returned; at least taking us to the playoffs twice in his last three seasons and winning a playoff game to boot. To me, given what he inherited....Gibbs did a phenomenal job. Of course he made his mistakes (mainly personnel wise and keeping Brunell in for way too long) but we all witnessed the team play hard and never give up no matter the record.

decade? that's very optimistic of you. Dan Snyder is the owner probably for another 30 years at least. It's time for the organization and the fans to move on to the next quarter century of mediocrity.

Yea, things can't possibly suck for another decade?

:paranoid:

I miss the real Joe Gibbs era and not 2.0.

But then again I've been missing that era for 17 years and counting so what else is new.

I'm sorry but just because Gibbs 2.0 made the playoffs twice in 4 seasons, I'm not going to get all nostalgic over that "accomplishment". It's just another example of how far this franchise has fallen in nearly two decades that some people try a defend 2 6th seed playoff apearences, an overall losing record in 4 seasons, not building a strong front office, and not having a long term vision in building the team and just going for a Super Bowl every season, as being somehow a successful tenure.

Well, at least I'll have DVDs of the real Joe Gibbs era...........and Caps hockey to enjoy this coming winter.

/Close Thread

This post says it all.

No, I don't miss Joe Gibbs at all. I've moved on, the same way HE moved on. Despite all of the criticism from myself and others (we all love the Skins, it's just frustrating right now, right?), I don't think our Redskins are as bad as many people say they are. And I think Zorn is a pretty decent coach. Right now the Skins biggest problem is a lack of production from the QB position.....they currently have a starting QB who is not comfortable with the Jim Zorn offense. Zorn should play a QB that is a better fit, Vinny needs to draft some linemen, and our Skins will be a vastly improved football team next season.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!!!

I don't miss Gibbs. I liked him, but it's time to move on.

For years, the Green Bay Packer fans lived in Lombardi land and never could shake it. They lived in past glory.

They finally shook it when they realized no one cared anymore.

If we keep getting misty over Gibbs, we aren't going to get anything positive done.

Not that we can, we're just fans anyway.

Joe 2.0 was saved by Collins.

Collins first year with the team was 2007. What saved them when they made the playoffs in 2005, won a playoff game on the road, and could have made it to the NFC Championship game had Rogers held on to that pick?

They actually would have gotten to the NFC championship game with home field advantage if the refs had gotten the Alstott no-point conversion call correct in the regular season that year.

What was Collins doing then? Oh yeah, he was the back up QB for the Chiefs.

it was tough to admit, but I think the X's and O's of the modern game had really passed Joe over, but he was still a hall of fame leader and got the most out of a team that has shown to be uninspired and average... ideally I would have loved for him to remain, continue to lead and manage while letting his assistants scheme and call the plays...

i miss joe gibbs the person. how could you not? the man is a HoF'er and a genuinely good guy.

that's where it stops though. i don't miss him in a coaching or personnel capacity. he is a better motivational speaker to the team and better at handling the media at this point and time.

you have to remember that he and GW (two guys people say they want back) are a big part of our cap hell and old underperforming players, not to mention our lack of young guys from the draft.

Archived