Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sally Jenkins- JC article

jivelikenice

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/17/AR2008121703984.html

I have to admit I am not a fan of Sally Jenkins, but this was a very fair article about JC Campbell and how he is still a question mark.

A couple of things that Campbell said that really distrub me though are:

"I think we're worn down, it's been a long season, it was a long training camp, and learning a new system week in and week out, it can be draining,"

-Sorry Jason, but you're the QB and what kind of effort should we expect if our starting quarterback is going into the final two weeks wit hthe attitude that its been a long season? Yes, it stinks that you had to learn a new offense, but just go out their and play; don't tell us you're too drained to finsih of the schedule when there's a game to be played. The last thing anyone wants to see is a blowout loss at home to The Eagles to finish off the home schedule

"The one thing you always have to improve on, that everybody has to improve on, is adjusting," Campbell said. "Everyone is adjusting. It's not just the quarterback. It's the running backs, the receivers. It's more than a one-year process." -

-Yes its a process, but the curve is on the decline right now. You can't claim its a process while regressing, the process should show improvement as we get more acclimated to the system, not regression. Matt Ryan, Pennington, and Flacco all are going through this same process, but they haven't plateued and regressed like this offense and he has.

"We've been playing with a lot of tension, a lot of tightness," he said. "We've got to go out there and play free."

-That's on you!!! You've been saying, "lets just go out and play" for weeks now so just go out and do it. Nobody is stopping you from being tense. If you want to go out and sling it and be tense free, that is on you. Stop saying I need to play free and just go do it......

Cambell isn't the only problem, but is not the answer either and this article fairly articulates that. We don't know what he can develop into, but right now he seems like a game manager and there's very little evidence to prove otherwise.

Hey, Jason... I get paid a fraction of what you do, I'm a part-time student, full-time employee with a ton of at-home work and Father to an eight week-old, plus have band practice. Wanna' talk about adapting to adjustments... ?

I'll tell you the same thing I've said about LaVar in threads: "Boo ****ing hoo."

When you drop 5 of the last 6 nothing he says at this time is going to work. I think he's trying his best.. I really don't think these guys go out every week trying to lose games. It may look like that at times.

I'm upset like everyone else on here about how things have turned out this year but how do you think the players feel ? I know they make tons of money and all of that, but they must feel like crap. They still have 2 games left to play and they really have nothing to play for.

A check yes. You can say they should play for the FANS. Sure that's what's on the players minds. It's more like I hope that I don't get hurt in these next two games. Can you really blame them ?

Maybe Sally should stick to talking about individual players instead of the organization in general, because this is a pretty even-handed article (unlike some of the responses in this thread).

The problems in the offense isn't just on Campbell, but also on the receivers and the offensive line. In my eyes, Campbell has one more year to prove himself worthy of the position, because it is the last year of his contract. Next year he should have the help of the rookies to give him more targets and some help on the OL plus an offseason to digest what he has learned.

The big issue I see with his game right now is all the double clutching he's doing. He just doesn't look confident in what he's doing out there and maybe he's trying to be too fine with things. I agree with others that he needs to relax and let things fly and he probably will play much better.

I've lost hope in JC. Sucks too because I like him a lot and had high hopes for him.

It's time to face the music, he just doesn't have the natural stuff that can't be coached. He's a pretty good QB but that's it and he'll never be anything more sadly.

I've done my fair share of blaming the OL, the WRs, Zorn etc. But when all of those other factors are clicking he still just doesn't get the job done.

Maybe Sally should stick to talking about individual players instead of the organization in general, because this is a pretty even-handed article (unlike some of the responses in this thread).

The problems in the offense isn't just on Campbell, but also on the receivers and the offensive line. In my eyes, Campbell has one more year to prove himself worthy of the position, because it is the last year of his contract. Next year he should have the help of the rookies to give him more targets and some help on the OL plus an offseason to digest what he has learned.

The big issue I see with his game right now is all the double clutching he's doing. He just doesn't look confident in what he's doing out there and maybe he's trying to be too fine with things. I agree with others that he needs to relax and let things fly and he probably will play much better.

Okay Longshot, let's give him yet another year. Now I hope the O-line gets fixed somehow because I can hear the same excuses again..no protection. The next thing they need to fix is the receivers dropping his passes, never mind that JC never throws to his receivers in stride. Let's just get rid of them and play the rookies but wait! We need another year to get the rookies acclimated to the WCO and JC.

We still have the Head Coach or O- coordinator holding JC back. They never call any plays that will open it up for JC. They always seem to be holding him back for whatever reason. It's only obvious that the fans here see the greatness in JC. What in the hell do the coaches know?

If you give JC another year, you'll have to keep giving. JC is who he is and this is as good as he gets. He's nothing more than a average to below average QB, a second stringer at best who doesn't know how to be a leader. That's something that can't be taught. You are either a leader or a follower and I don't see any leadership in JC at all.

If he's our QB next season, expect the same erratic play from him and the same end results. I also expect the same lame ass excuses...again.

When you drop 5 of the last 6 nothing he says at this time is going to work. I think he's trying his best.. I really don't think these guys go out every week trying to lose games. It may look like that at times.

I'm upset like everyone else on here about how things have turned out this year but how do you think the players feel ? I know they make tons of money and all of that, but they must feel like crap. They still have 2 games left to play and they really have nothing to play for.

A check yes. You can say they should play for the FANS. Sure that's what's on the players minds. It's more like I hope that I don't get hurt in these next two games. Can you really blame them ?

Now is the time to see what a team is made of. The players that are content to go through the motions and not care, need to find a new home for next year.

The Iggles is a huge game for out team, we can play spoiler, and if that doesn't get the team fired up nothing will. Just a note. Since the Sean Taylor tribute, and the Monk/Green HOF thing didn't get them fired up, I doubt playing spoiler will get a bunch of marshmallows like we have on our team fired up.

07-minister.jpg

You Jason Campbell excuse makers blow me away with all of the pity parties you have thrown for this guy over "learning a new system again." Really good and decent NFL QBs seem to have a knack for "learning" a new system.Guys like Tony Romo sits to pee, Eli Manning, and Brett Favre seem to instantly spot an open receiver, and they seem to be able to quickly get him the ball. It's amazing what a quick release of the ball can do for the passing game, huh? Hey, here's a thought: pass the ball to a receiver on 3rd down who is past the marker! How about learning that system?

Jenkins is right. It takes time for the light to go on for most NFL QBs. Elway, Marino, and now Ryan and Flacco are the exception, not the rule.

Campbell has started the equivalent of about two seasons at this point. Take a look at Drew Brees or Eli Manning after they started 32 games and tell me what you see. Pretty much the same thing we're seeing with JC right now.

I have no idea when or even if the light will go on for JC. What I do know is that it will be awfully embarrassing to send him elsewhere and have him blow up. Giving him one more season to prove himself is not a problem for us because as many of us have started to realize, this is not a team that's one year/player away from a Super Bowl.

I think it's sadly ironic that many of us are now criticizing Snyderatto for being too impatient to build through the draft and yet these same fans are ready to throw a QB overboard because he's not #1 in the NFL after roughly two seasons of starts. :rolleyes:

Why should anyone have to defend Jason Campbell? No interceptions for the first 8 games, we go 6-2. Oline starts breaking down and suddenly we start losing games. He has 150 more attempts than Jeff Garcia, who is the only playing QB with less interceptions than him.

Jason Campbell will be our QB in 2009.

Archived