Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sally Jenkins- JC article

jivelikenice

Greg Williams agreed with you.

Joe Gibbs agreed with you.

Even Jim Fassel agreed with you. And that guy would do anything for a head coaching job.

If Al Saunders was our offensive coordinator, TC should be our man. In fact if TC was our man from the beginning and not Mark Brunell, we might've done a lot better than we did.

I hate the receiver excuse more than anything. Remember who looked like pros in the last 4 games last year? Reche Caldwell, and Keenan McCardell.

I understand the O-line excuse, but the receiver excuse is pathetic.

Is that why we drafted THREE pass catchers in the second round. Our receiving corps was great, why would we do something like that?

"Zorn insists if Campbell is given time to grow into the offense, he will develop into a more assertive and charismatic quarterback. The things that hamper him, and slow down the operation of the offense, will gradually resolve into a more "synergistic" performance. Quarterbacking, Zorn explained, simply hasn't become an everyday job to Campbell yet. As opposed to "a one-day-a-week super stressful thing."

Umm........oh boy. This is a pretty damning statement coming from Zorn, if you ask me.

New system notwithstanding, what Zorn is referring to is career-suicide for an NFL QB with JC's tenure in the league. It would be one thing to say "he's got all the tools but hasn't grasped the WCO".........but to say it simply hasn't become an everyday job for JC yet? Oh my........that's a totally different story, don't you think?

Also noteworthy is the fact that Zorn said given more time, JC would develop into a "more assertive and charismatic" QB.........he did not, however, say he'd become a more EFFECTIVE and PROFICIENT qb.

His words seem to have been chosen pretty carefully. Not a glowing endorsement.

Is that why we drafted THREE pass catchers in the second round. Our receiving corps was great, why would we do something like that?

The receiving group MUST be great, since those three pass catchers have combined for about 20 catches over 14 games. They can't even get on the field!

"Zorn insists if Campbell is given time to grow into the offense, he will develop into a more assertive and charismatic quarterback. The things that hamper him, and slow down the operation of the offense, will gradually resolve into a more "synergistic" performance. Quarterbacking, Zorn explained, simply hasn't become an everyday job to Campbell yet. As opposed to "a one-day-a-week super stressful thing."

Umm........oh boy. This is a pretty damning statement coming from Zorn, if you ask me.

New system notwithstanding, what Zorn is referring to is career-suicide for an NFL QB with JC's tenure in the league. It would be one thing to say "he's got all the tools but hasn't grasped the WCO".........but to say it simply hasn't become an everyday job for JC yet? Oh my........that's a totally different story, don't you think?

Also noteworthy is the fact that Zorn said given more time, JC would develop into a "more assertive and charismatic" QB.........he did not, however, say he'd become a more EFFECTIVE and PROFICIENT qb.

His words seem to have been chosen pretty carefully. Not a glowing endorsement.

I had started a thread before the pre-season (which I can't find now:() where Zorn said more positive things about Colt then he did of JC. My conclusion then and still holds today is that this year is make it or break it year for JC. So far he is on track of breaking it. Hello Colt - I hope. :D

"We've been playing with a lot of tension, a lot of tightness," he said. "We've got to go out there and play free."

-That's on you!!! You've been saying, "lets just go out and play" for weeks now so just go out and do it. Nobody is stopping you from being tense. If you want to go out and sling it and be tense free, that is on you. Stop saying I need to play free and just go do it......

I disagree and am siding with Doc Walker who thinks it is Zorn that is causing his rigid play. Zorn needs to allow JC to have much more input into how the game is run.

Okay Longshot, let's give him yet another year. Now I hope the O-line gets fixed somehow because I can hear the same excuses again..no protection. The next thing they need to fix is the receivers dropping his passes, never mind that JC never throws to his receivers in stride. Let's just get rid of them and play the rookies but wait! We need another year to get the rookies acclimated to the WCO and JC.

We still have the Head Coach or O- coordinator holding JC back. They never call any plays that will open it up for JC. They always seem to be holding him back for whatever reason. It's only obvious that the fans here see the greatness in JC. What in the hell do the coaches know?

If you give JC another year, you'll have to keep giving. JC is who he is and this is as good as he gets. He's nothing more than a average to below average QB, a second stringer at best who doesn't know how to be a leader. That's something that can't be taught. You are either a leader or a follower and I don't see any leadership in JC at all.

If he's our QB next season, expect the same erratic play from him and the same end results. I also expect the same lame ass excuses...again.

Just curious, but who the hell is going to give us anything next year? Colt? While he showed some things last preseason, he also showed he's a ways from starting on an NFL team. Collins? Maybe, but he wasn't all that impressive in preseason. Who knows if he can run another offense other than Al Saunders'. FA? A good FA QB is rare and is often not a long term solution. Draft? We have higher priorities than drafting another QB. Trade? With what little draft picks we have right now?

I don't see many better options for next year than to give Campbell another year in this offense to see if he can do the job. Honestly, I don't see the harm and there is a lot of upside. I mean, Drew Brees is probably the best pure passer in the game, but he was left for dead in SD until the light went on for him.

I'm not arguing that we should give him a long-term deal or anything. But, the guy has been in three different systems since he was drafted, and that's not good for any QB. (Ask Alex Smith.) If the coach thinks he's making progress (and given his stats, he has been making progress), then he deserves one more year to prove his worth. If he doesn't end up doing it, then you move on, either with Colt or with someone else.

I have been one of the guys who has been in Campbell's corner the whole time he's been here. You look at what he brings to the table; good athleticism, ideal size, great arm and a pedigree from a solid big time college program. It was about as close to a “can't miss” as you can have drafting a QB.

Problem is he's now in his fourth year and is essentially the same guy he was when he got here. At this point in his career I doubt the light is just going to come on one day and he's going to start playing out of his mind.. Like some of you have already mentioned we have problems at receiver and on the line. Well, it didn't seem to bother Todd Collins last year and he's a guy who on paper simply should not stack up to what Campbell brings to the table.

I went into the season thinking this was a make or break year for Jason. At this point I think we need to start thinking about a new QB. I'm not saying Colt or Collins is the answer here either. I'm not in practice with the team day in and day out and Campbell might give us the best chance to win at this point. I just don't think he's a difference maker or the leader who can administer the kick in the ass some players on this team seem to need. He wants to be one of the guys more than he wants to be the QB.

The receiving group MUST be great, since those three pass catchers have combined for about 20 catches over 14 games. They can't even get on the field!

Thank you for backing up my point. No help at pass catching this year = continued terrible pass catching.

You Jason Campbell excuse makers blow me away with all of the pity parties you have thrown for this guy over "learning a new system again." Really good and decent NFL QBs seem to have a knack for "learning" a new system.Guys like Tony Romo sits to pee, Eli Manning, and Brett Favre seem to instantly spot an open receiver, and they seem to be able to quickly get him the ball. It's amazing what a quick release of the ball can do for the passing game, huh? Hey, here's a thought: pass the ball to a receiver on 3rd down who is past the marker! How about learning that system?

Really? Eli Manning? Really? Eli was a top QB from the very beginning? Really? Eli? Eli Manning? Really? :doh:

You Jason Campbell excuse makers blow me away with all of the pity parties you have thrown for this guy over "learning a new system again." Really good and decent NFL QBs seem to have a knack for "learning" a new system.Guys like Tony Romo sits to pee, Eli Manning, and Brett Favre seem to instantly spot an open receiver, and they seem to be able to quickly get him the ball. It's amazing what a quick release of the ball can do for the passing game, huh? Hey, here's a thought: pass the ball to a receiver on 3rd down who is past the marker! How about learning that system?

Romo sits to pee? Manning? New systems? Those two have had way more consistency in the offense. This isn't an excuse or apology, merely a case of bad examples. As for the 3rd downs, that is as much on the receivers running under the markers as anyone else. If the route is a post, it is the receiver's responsibility to know where the marker is and make their cut accordingly.

Jenkins has a pretty fair assessment and some of Zorn's comments raise some concern.

It would be overly hasty (and strangely reminiscent of Snyder's behavior that so many of you loathe) to can JC after a year in this system. To cite his "regressing play" the past few games is valid, but only if you nail Portis and others to the same criticisms. If we want to start grooming new QBs though, it would be foolish to spend $ or picks on them now. With JC as at least a serviceable QB, and Colt an unknown, we would be much better off to invest in the real building blocks of the successful teams everyone loves to mention. Sure, Flacco is leading the Ravens to a great season, but look at the 5 guys in front of him. Notice anything different (cough* younger)?

Didn't we say the same thing about Al Saunders...hmmmmm....

If JC was as bad as some us feel he is, don't you think Zorn would make a change? The guy is about as blunt as a HC could possibly be. There has not been even the slightest hint that JC's play has been problematic. I think there would be some whiff of such sentiment were it valid.

If JC was as bad as some us feel he is, don't you think Zorn would make a change? The guy is about as blunt as a HC could possibly be. There has not been even the slightest hint that JC's play has been problematic. I think there would be some whiff of such sentiment were it valid.

:doh:

1. You need to go back and listen/read all of Zorn's pressers.

2. With Zorn saying JC is going to be the starter right after he got the HC gig pretty much made it clear who is in charge. Hint: Dan and Vinny.;)

Hey, Jason... I get paid a fraction of what you do, I'm a part-time student, full-time employee with a ton of at-home work and Father to an eight week-old, plus have band practice. Wanna' talk about adapting to adjustments... ?

I'll tell you the same thing I've said about LaVar in threads: "Boo ****ing hoo."

This should be in the locker room.

Archived