Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sally Jenkins- JC article

jivelikenice

I still believe in him......maybe not for much longer....but I still think hes going to put it together.

I just hope he does before its too late. You have your opinion and I have mine. Thats what were here for.

Hey man, I understand where you're coming from. Check my post history, I've been saying it a lot but I have been an avid JC supporter for a LONG time, since he was put in for Brunell in 2006....I supported him all last year and I supported him this year too, for me the Bengals game just did me in.

I saw him out there with plenty of protection and WRs getting open for big gains against one of the worst defenses in the NFL and he just did the same thing he did when he's pressured, hold the ball too long and/or check down to one of the backs.

I know he's learned a lot of new systems but if you want to be a successful QB in the NFL you're going to just have to let it hang out eventually and make plays.

I'm not against JC, I'd love to see him do well, but I hate looking around the league and the division at all of these teams that have QBs making big plays for them and not having that here.

I'm not saying Colt is the next Joe Montana but we drafted him and he has all of the qualities you look for in a good QB, why not throw him in there and see what he can do? QB is the most important position on a team, if you've got a stud at QB it can make a lot of your other positions look really good.

It must absolutely suck to be given free drinks, get to receive admiration and praise (even when you suck, let's be honest--most players in the NFL aren't 'winners' but still get the royal treatment) and all the beautiful women you choose to indulge yourself in.

If I'm set for life, my children (to be) are set for life, I have my pick of women, receive adulation and play a game I love--why the __ would I care about some newspaper writers? Especially since it won't last that long anyway. One day, the cheers (or boos) fade. Long before most people have retired after 30 years of having to please a-holes at work.

In football (for the most part,) deliver the goods and you will get respect, promotions and pay increases.

Where you been hiding, Nicholas... ;)

Example: Moss is going out for a pass. He breaks right and JC throws it as if he should have broke left. The pass is intercepted. Who is at fault on this play? The only ones who really know are JC, Moss, and the coaches. I couldn't be critical of JC for throwing the pass not knowing if Moss ran the correct pattern or not.

Read some of the game threads, which typically get stickied at the top of the front Stadium page. You'll see how often the guy isn't even looking the way of wide-open receivers, even in a game where gets no pressure, like Sunday against the Bengals.

It's one thing to bag on a WR for a drop or Cooley for a fumble. That stuff happens and they get criticized for it. Campbell is no less open to criticizm. The problem is his mistakes often get masked on TV because you can't see a WR running his full route on a TV screen. When Cooley or Portis fumble, you see it. When Moss drops a pass you see it. You don't see, on TV, Campbell missing a completely wide-open ARE down the sidelines when he fails to look that way. You also don't see stuff like Campbell being the absolutely last person in the world to notice a streaking, wide-open Devin Thomas run down the sidelines because the DB fell down. The TV just isn't big enough, but plenty of people at the games notice it.

When Campbell delivers a pass late and almost gets Moss killed running his route, all you see is that Moss drops the ball. You don't see the second or two that led up to that when a perfectly clean reception could have been made.

ACTUALLY its more like:

Elway, Marino, Ryan, Flacco, Brees, Cutler, Romo sits to pee, Favre, Flacco, Thigpen, so on and so forth. And HEY guess what?! All the people I've named were HOFer or top-tier QBs in the league right now!

Cocaine is a helluva drug. :doh:

You might want to re-read my post. My point was that most NFL QBs go through a learning curve until the light clicks on and they "get it". Brees, Cutler, Romo sits to pee, Eli, Gannon, Favre and more fall into this category.

Elway, Marino, Ryan do/did not. However, they clearly are the exception to the rule. If you live your life expecting the exception to the rule to be the norm, it's going to cause you to be dissapointed an awful lot down the road. :2cents:

You might want to re-read my post. My point was that most NFL QBs go through a learning curve until the light clicks on and they "get it". Brees, Cutler, Romo sits to pee, Eli, Gannon, Favre and more fall into this category.

True...but the light NEVER clicks on for some. And this may very well be the case here. He has shown no signs that he will be a franchise QB yet. Most of the others you named had shown SOMETHING by this point in their careers.

When Campbell delivers a pass late and almost gets Moss killed running his route, all you see is that Moss drops the ball. You don't see the second or two that led up to that when a perfectly clean reception could have been made.

Actually, you did on Sunday when Campbell double clutches on that pass, where if he fires it out there maybe he completes it instead of getting Moss hung out to dry.

Such things are correctable. The question is, is it going to get corrected?

fact is, he's our starting QB.

if Zorn is still around, he will be next year

so until he's benched, I'm rooting for him.

I think Snyder/Cerrato is more of a reason he'll start than Zorn. I'm hoping for the best, and that's that there be a fair competition in camp/preseason next year.

True...but the light NEVER clicks on for some. And this may very well be the case here.

I agree about the light never coming on for some. Rob Johnson and Chris Simms immediately come to mind. However, it's still too soon to know about JC yet. Again, one more year and I'd be much more willing to make the call, one way or the other, at that point.

He has shown no signs that he will be a franchise QB yet. Most of the others you named had shown SOMETHING by this point in their careers.

ORLY? You might want to take a look at this then. ;)

Romo sits to pee? Manning? New systems? Those two have had way more consistency in the offense. This isn't an excuse or apology, merely a case of bad examples.

Romo sits to pee switched coordinators after the botched snap playoff game in his first partial season and immediatley picked back up in '07 under Garrett and had a big season.

I'm starting to think that JC is both too sensitive and, for lack of a better term, a little dumb. Why do other QBs pick up on their systems fast? Look at the ROOKIE Ryan in Atlanta.

Matt Ryan is a beast that is certain!!!!! Plus the falcons don't even have half the talent the redskins do and they are running a run for wild card!!!!

4 years in and he hasnt shown us anything since his very first game. 14-19 as a starter. Its always the coaches or the playcalling. Gibbs wasnt calling the right plays. Saunders wasnt using JC right. Zorn isnt utilizing him the right way. Our O-line is horrid, until TC comes in and lights it up, and until portis was an MVP candidate through week 12. We're playing great defenses, so you cant expect campbell to light it up. His TD/INT ratio is 2:1, nevermind he only throws 13 TD's in a 16 game season. Just one more year! He has all the tools and its a matter of time! Even old, noodle armed mark brunell managed 3000+ yards and 23 TD's, 10 INT's in Gibb's ultra conservative offense.

Give it a rest. If JC was on another team not named the redskins, we'd all be calling him a bum and laughing. Noodle-armed pennington, Orton, dinosaur brett favre in a new system, Kerry freakin Collins, Shaun Hill (!), first year starters Flacco, Ryan, Cassel, Thigpen, Rodgers, are all doing better than him. Even gus frerotte is leading his team to more success than campbell.

Stats dont lie. Is it more likely that offensive masterminds like Gibbs and Saunders, and great young coaches like Zorn are all terrible at utilizing jason, or is he just a coach killer?

Lets move on, folks. We've seen everthing there is to be seen.

I tell you I don't know what article you were reading. My interpetation is the guy wants to win for the team, for the fans and himself and the stress is the losing. The disapointment of the season, in the fans. If you had a job and had your back against the wall the only difference is if he lose his job he will get another real fast and if you lose yours, you maybe filing for gov't assistance. I feel bad for Jason but he will get better. Jim Zorn believes it if not I don't think he would say he does. Let's just support him until he nolonger deserves our support. I am encourage with his numbers. We are not far from where we want to be. I expect this line to be changed. We have never rebouund from Derrick Dockery lost. just think if he was still here we would have a third of the line under 33 years old, that alone is why Vinny should go we lost to many young goods players on his watch.

True...but the light NEVER clicks on for some. And this may very well be the case here. He has shown no signs that he will be a franchise QB yet. Most of the others you named had shown SOMETHING by this point in their careers.

You don't think a 99.5 passer rating and a 6-2 record after 8 games is showing something?

If this had been just one game I would agree, but this was after half a season.

I'm pissed that the momentum and confidence that I saw JC building took a nose-dive. How anyone can say JC wasn't showing progress after raising his passer rating 12 points and beating Dallas and the Eagles in their house is beyond me.

I put the majority of the decline on Zorn's head. He never made adjustments during a game and he never made overall adjustments to counter what the opponents defenses were doing. There was an article this week about how predictable Zorn's playing calling is.

He makes comments after 2 games about seeing a WR open but admits JC didn't have time to get them the ball. Then he gets in JC's ear and tells him he wants him to play "mistake free". And I won't even start on all the penalities that changed 3rd and 2 into 3rd and 12. That's nothing but coaching.

And I'm sad because I think it's going to be twice as hard now for JC to get the momentum back.

If anyone ever wants to make a documentary on how to destroy a quarterback's confidence they need look no farther than the second half of the Redskins' 2008 season.

You can LOL all you want dude. ALL training camp long he was CLEARLY the best quarterback on the team. No questions asked.

Not saying that means your better on the field.....but those of you saying you want open competition in training camp......well im sorry....its going to be JC again. Hes got FAR better tools than either qb.....he just needs to put it together....and soon. And I think he will.

:doh:

People posted this same bs last year.

And the year before.

Enough is enough.

For every Eli, that takes a huge leap after 3 years, there are dozens of QBs that never make it. The odds are that JC will end up with the latter group.

And see, I can't find myself to say that he will - if you want to not have faith, hey thats fine, but lets remember that the Giants gave Eli an extension 14 games before he actually turned it around in Buffalo.

Actually, you did on Sunday when Campbell double clutches on that pass, where if he fires it out there maybe he completes it instead of getting Moss hung out to dry.

Such things are correctable. The question is, is it going to get corrected?

It's up to Campbell. The coaches can only try to "correct" so much. God knows the skins have had enough coaches trying to help him.

At the end of the say, some guys just can't correct their bad habits.

After 32 games --

If you're still locking in on your primary option, it ain't a good sign.

If you're still rarely hitting open receivers in stride, but making them wait or reach for the ball, it ain't a good sign.

If a defense brings the house time and time again and you never make them pay, it ain't a good sign.

It's beginning to look like it was showing that the opponents didn't know what to expect from a new offense.

Yep. And when they watched the film and saw how poorly JC reacted to the blitz, the season was over.

Seriously, I don't care how bad your line is, if a team is bringing the house, somebody is open and you have to find them.

And see, I can't find myself to say that he will - if you want to not have faith, hey thats fine, but lets remember that the Giants gave Eli an extension 14 games before he actually turned it around in Buffalo.

Sorry man...I save my 'faith' for matters outside of the football field. It's results that matter here. The results are incomplete at this point, but he has taken the final turn on the track...he's in the final stretch, others have passed him, and it's time to catch up.

Yusuf,

The difference for those QBs who took time to get it, is that most of them had mainly good mechanics and decent releases.

Brees, in his fourth season (same season as Campbell is and same season he hit 32 games) went 11-4, 27 TDs 7 INT and over 65 pct completion percentage. Brees was boss at Purdue, as were a lot of the better guys drafted. Not necessarily national champions but very high quality QBs who were leaders and knew how to make good decisions, generally.

There are exceptions like McNabb who was not as skilled in the basics but had prodigious athletic gifts. Randall Cunningham had a windup release but was, at his best, an accurate thrower and one of the more graceful athletes to ever play the game (he did have trouble with reading defenses from the pocket until very late in his career.)

But in any case, Campbell had a year to sit, just as Brees did. And Brees was 25 in that season he broke out. Campbell is on the wrong side of that number and it really should be clicking for him.

This is not the case of someone who is beautiful to watch play, has absolutely breathtaking moments and just tanks ONE game with bad decisions or someone who has quick release, smooth drops, etc.

It's been awhile since I looked at the numbers but Jason really is getting near the end of any acceptable tenure to 'turn it around.'

At least for a first round pick...

Archived