Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alright tell me about MD and VA

SkinsOrlando

Just looking for an area somewhat peaceful and no further than about 30-45 trek outside DC. I also have my three pugs which if need be will stay with my parents but I prefer to bring them with me, so an area where I might be able to rent a house with a backyard would be preferred.

You want peaceful city living, suburbia, or country? You could get all three depending on what you want and your budget.

Townhouse in Georgetown/Rossyln

House in Chevy Chase/Bethesda/Rockville

House in Great Falls or Potomac

House in Clinton, a surprisingly comfortable neighborhood just outside DC.

I would avoid 270, and 66. Someone suggested Loudon Co. Avoid Avoid Avoid. You will hate the traffic.

You want peaceful city living, suburbia, or country? You could get all three depending on what you want and your budget.

House in Clinton, a surprisingly comfortable neighborhood just outside DC.

Are you kidding me?

Clinton = peaceful? NOT AT ALL.

There's a good bit of crime in Clinton ... no where that I'd EVER consider living.

I was born in Fairfax hospital and have lived in Fairfax county all my life (Burke, Fairfax, and now Reston). It is kind of expensive, but nice. Reston is close to the airport, has a sweet Town Center and it has great paths for walking the pugs.

The only downside is if you commute to DC you'll have to share the road with people from Maryland. It's annoying at first but you get used to it.

Oh yes ... MD drivers are so much worse than VA drivers. :rolleyes:

The only downside is if you commute to DC you'll have to share the road with people from Maryland. It's annoying at first but you get used to it.

I live within a nose shot of Jersey. I don't want to hear it from either of ya.

It appears very likely I'll be moving back to the area in the next couple months. I haven't lived in MD for 14 years and that was in the LaPlata/Waldorf area which I already know there is no chance in hell I'll be returning to. So tell me which areas are nice. I don't care about bars/nightlife etc so thats not important. Just looking for an area somewhat peaceful and no further than about 30-45 trek outside DC. I also have my three pugs which if need be will stay with my parents but I prefer to bring them with me, so an area where I might be able to rent a house with a backyard would be preferred.

Dude not all parts of Waldorf are bad, i live in a very quiet neighborhood, we have big back yards, and the house next to mine is up for sale, not sure if there is a rent option or not, ½ acre lots, my dogs need some running buddies since the neighbors moved out over 8 months ago, they had 2 dogs too LOL p.s. ive got puggles so they kinda look like your dogs :)

Im close to 210 off of 228/229 if you know where that is.

If you ever plan to raise kids in this area, avoid PG County like the plague. Columbia has some decent pockets to live in, but it's not for me.

With schools not a concern, West Laurel isn't bad. Otherwise move west and north for better value in a home.

I know nothing about NOVA's particulars, other than it has gridlock 16 hours a day. But I'm sure there are some areas that are safe, but not sure about the affordable part. And for getting to DC, you'll have to use the Metro, unless you plan to get to work at 6AM.

But really, welcome back to the area. Maybe if you land in VA, you can change your screen name to SkinsOccoquan.

Columbia is a nicer area, but you're paying a premium to live in Columbia. I looked at apartments in the area a while ago and I quickly changed my mind. No change I was paying $1800 for a one bedroom apartment in a craphole neighborhood ... just because it's Columbia.

I wouldnt spend half that to live in Columbia.

I grew up in LaPlata, drove through Waldorf last year for the ****s and giggles of it when going to see my grandparents last year. Good grief what a mess thats become.

Grew up in Waldorf. You couldn't pay me to move back there. I will be up at the end of January to visit my ailing grandmother. I was there in May and yes, you are right, the whole Waldorf/LaPlata region is a mess.

I swear PG is about to become the new DC. Where do you think they are putting all of the people from all the projects that they shut down? I don't like the future of PG county. On the other hand the future for DC is bright.

I dont agree with this at all. Hyattsville is a million times better then when I was a kid living there. that was the 80s/early 90s and it was horrible. DEA everywhere, at least one shooting a night and crack vials everywhere. Now it seems to be a lot calmer then it was. :2cents:

but it will never be mayberry so thats not even a valid option.

Archived