Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alright tell me about MD and VA

SkinsOrlando

It appears very likely I'll be moving back to the area in the next couple months. I haven't lived in MD for 14 years and that was in the LaPlata/Waldorf area which I already know there is no chance in hell I'll be returning to. So tell me which areas are nice. I don't care about bars/nightlife etc so thats not important. Just looking for an area somewhat peaceful and no further than about 30-45 trek outside DC. I also have my three pugs which if need be will stay with my parents but I prefer to bring them with me, so an area where I might be able to rent a house with a backyard would be preferred.

I'm no help ...

But I'm familiar with LP and Waldorf. I grew up in Waldorf.

Are you sure that you can't do a commute a little longer into DC? I moved to St. Mary's and love where I'm at. Super quiet, peaceful, no nosy neighbors.

BOOOOOOO!!!!! Calvert is where it's a Candace! St. Mury's is full of carnies. :silly:

But, I do use your Super Wal-Mart!

I'm no help ...

But I'm familiar with LP and Waldorf. I grew up in Waldorf.

Are you sure that you can't do a commute a little longer into DC? I moved to St. Mary's and love where I'm at. Super quiet, peaceful, no nosy neighbors.

I grew up in LaPlata, drove through Waldorf last year for the ****s and giggles of it when going to see my grandparents last year. Good grief what a mess thats become.

I can do a longer commute, I'm used to driving an hour each way for about the past 8 years since I enjoy quiet and privacy. St.Mary's is interesting, haven't been around there in ages.

I'm from Hollywood, St.Mary's is ok. Its really quite but not a whole lot to do. Its peaceful, but boring. If you need to go to the mall, Waldorf is 30 minutes away and Annapolis is about an hour. There are plenty of good resteraunts like Cheeseburger in Paradise, Outback, Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday, Monterrey, Asahi, and a bunch of good seafood place. If you are looking for quite then St.Mary's is the place, if you are looking for fun things to do, then look elsewhere.

I currently live in the Towson ares outside of Baltimore and thats a good place too. Kind of a mini city, but it has some good neighborhoods and you are close to Baltimore and DC.

I grew up in LaPlata, drove through Waldorf last year for the ****s and giggles of it when going to see my grandparents last year. Good grief what a mess thats become.

I can do a longer commute, I'm used to driving an hour each way for about the past 8 years since I enjoy quiet and privacy. St.Mary's is interesting, haven't been around there in ages.

I live in Mechanicsville off of a dirt road off of a side road ....

I'm used to locking everything (house, car) and taking everything out of my car. The boyfriend leaves his car unlocked, keys and valuables in the car, never had any issues. The only thing/person that I've seen wandering in my yard are deer, birds and farm cats.

You can't go too far south - Lexington Park has a bit of crime .... As for Calvert, parts of it are getting a little bad too. Lots of PG County is moving down Route 4. But hell, they're moving everywhere in the area. However, I have not seen any trouble in Mechanicsville. I think a good portion of why Mechanicsville is still ok is because there's nothing here.

I have to drive 15 minute to Charlotte Hall/Hughesville to get to a grocery store or McDonalds. I can drive 15-20 minutes south to get to a different grocery store and other businesses. There's really nothing near by but Wawa, antiques stores and seafood houses.

I live in Calvert and work in St. Mary's. Both nice, quiet areas to live in. Both relatively affordable, although St. Mary's is cheaper than Calvert almost across the board, especially when you look at places that are farther north (closer to the city). You may want to look at what the commute will actually be from either area though, depending on where you're going in the city it could be a little haul every morning.

You may want to look at what the commute will actually be from either area though, depending on where you're going in the city it could be a little haul every morning.

But the advantage to living down here is that there are commuter buses that you can take into the city every morning. You don't have to drive your own car! You just get on a bus and go.

I live in Mechanicsville off of a dirt road off of a side road ....

I'm used to locking everything (house, car) and taking everything out of my car. The boyfriend leaves his car unlocked, keys and valuables in the car, never had any issues. The only thing/person that I've seen wandering in my yard are deer, birds and farm cats.

You can't go too far south - Lexington Park has a bit of crime .... As for Calvert, parts of it are getting a little bad too. Lots of PG County is moving down Route 4. But hell, they're moving everywhere in the area. However, I have not seen any trouble in Mechanicsville. I think a good portion of why Mechanicsville is still ok is because there's nothing here.

I have to drive 15 minute to Charlotte Hall/Hughesville to get to a grocery store or McDonalds. I can drive 15-20 minutes south to get to a different grocery store and other businesses. There's really nothing near by but Wawa, antiques stores and seafood houses.

I know mechanicsville relatively well, McKays grocery store down the street a bit and such, plus IGA and the farmers market if its still there.

Didnt think of mechanicsville, I'll be taking a look.

move to Hyattsville. we like your kind up in these parts

My grandparents lived in hyattsville for 35 years, 5 blocks from the original ledo's, I'll pass.

Oh and Skinsfan89, ask around and see if you know anyone who remembers the 4 kids who walked on the ice at Gilbert Run Park and fell through, I'm one of the four.

Lot of southern maryland love in this thread!

skins_fan3, where did you live in Hollywood? I grew up in Hollywood Shores, off of Jones Wharf Road, now my family lives in Mechanicsville. I love our new house, nice neighborhood, can't complain.

However, I couldn't stand it there, I live in Baltimore now and don't plan on giving up the city for a while. Till a woman forces me to most likely.

Also do we know each other? My username is my real name. I was born in 86 too so I feel like we probably went to the same school at some point.

Lot of southern maryland love in this thread!

skins_fan3, where did you live in Hollywood? I grew up in Hollywood Shores, off of Jones Wharf Road, now my family lives in Mechanicsville. I love our new house, nice neighborhood, can't complain.

However, I couldn't stand it there, I live in Baltimore now and don't plan on giving up the city for a while. Till a woman forces me to most likely.

Also do we know each other? My username is my real name. I was born in 86 too so I feel like we probably went to the same school at some point.

We totally know each other. Its Facini!

I know mechanicsville relatively well, McKays grocery store down the street a bit and such, plus IGA and the farmers market if its still there.

Didnt think of mechanicsville, I'll be taking a look.

McKays is still there ... Farmers Market is more of a swap meet these days. Lots of people selling knock off merchandise and junk - they pushed the amish out of the market. Quite sad if you think about it ... but the amish have their own much smaller market over at the corner of Route 6. I go there and buy my produce and other goodies .... Oh, and IGA is now a thrift store. :)

Oh and Skinsfan89, ask around and see if you know anyone who remembers the 4 kids who walked on the ice at Gilbert Run Park and fell through, I'm one of the four.

You big dumb dummy!!!

Well. I've got to represent Fairfax County VA. :D Burke, Fairfax, some parts of Springfield, Centreville, and Lorton are safe & I guess 'quiet' for the most part. Traffic will always be a hassel, but the commute to DC is about 30-45 minutes. It'll cost you a pretty penny to rent around here, too. Manassas is cheaper, but some parts are kind of ghetto. I don't know much about Prince William County but check out Woodbridge and Dale City. It has a few rough spots but I have a quite a few friends rent out there, on the nicer side of town, and they seem to enjoy it.

:ols::wtf: were you thinking there? haha

That park is starting to get run down....it used to be nice when I was little. :(

Nobody has said anything in NOVA yet, so I'll throw Ballston into the mix....its a nice area with plenty of parks to walk your pugs, as well as young ladies. its only a short distance away from the Russian embassy ;)

Archived