Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zorn's Mon. press conference (12/15)--he feels like "Worst coach in America" (merged)

NastyBoy

Anyone listening to his presser right now?

Today is THE first time I've heard him say he needs to take a close look at himself and his coaching staff. Kinda refreshing, but too little, too late if you ask me.

I will admit it's nice to hear him take a big bite of humble pie for a change. Whether or not it can affect change at this point is another question.

It's not even one full season.. How the hell can it be too late?..

As the head coach he needs to be involved in every aspect of the game. People don't realize it, but there's alot that goes into being a head coach. You need to know defensive gameplans and need to pay attention to what the defense is doing during the game. You need to pay attention to special teams. You need to keep focus on the players, see who's playing well, who may be hurt, who may be crying like a little girl on the sideline. Then in the middle of that you have to call plays.

Not if you're Steve Spurrier.

He's still not making any changes, it seems like. No benching of Campbell. Seems to suggest that Jansen will be back in the lineup if he's healthy.

Why bench campbell it's not his fault. Oh wait you're one of those football ignorant morons that think it is..

2) As the offensive coordinator he could focus on the offense. As the head coach he needs to be involved in every aspect of the game. People don't realize it, but there's alot that goes into being a head coach. You need to know defensive gameplans and need to pay attention to what the defense is doing during the game. You need to pay attention to special teams. You need to keep focus on the players, see who's playing well, who may be hurt, who may be crying like a little girl on the sideline. Then in the middle of that you have to call plays.

Being the head guy is ALOT of distractions. There is QUITE a difference between coordinating and being the head coach. His offense doesn't have his full attention... As a coordinator... it does.

But it's not his management of the team that has been a problem - it's his offense. Yeah, maybe he hasn't been as diplomatic, but that's not the problem. The problem is that the team is losing. Why is the team losing? Because the offense can't score!!!!

Don't make this more complicated than it has to be. If the offense scores more, than the Redskins would be winning. The offense doesn't score, therefore the Redskins lose, and, all of a sudden, every little thing that every team has to deal with seems like a problem.

Figure out the offensive problem. If the offense is struggling because Zorn doesn't have the time to devote to it, then demotion has a bit of sense to it, in theory (in practice, it just wouldn't work). I have no reason to suspect that that is the case, though. What has indicated to you that Zorn is getting bogged down with other things?

It's not even one full season.. How the hell can it be too late?..

Five losses in the last six games and not one sign of progress or that he learned a thing. When you have to pound someone in the head to get him to figure out stuff, chances are he's not a self-motivator or he thinks his **** basically doesn't stink.

This is bull****. No one could have won that game yesterday with the way the players were phoning it in. I don't care if your Vince ****ing Lombardi. The PLAYERS lost that game yesterday, Zorn never had a chance. I got your baack Coach, even if the rest of redskins nation are too blind to see the real problem. Players just plain not giving a damn.

damn man, well said.

we need dominate lines.

I don't want to keep posting this, but it fits in perfectly here. Read this before you blame Zorn. Again I apologize if you've read this already but i can't make new threads and Zorn needs to be judged in an unbiased setting:

The problem, plain and simple, is that the players run this team because there hasn't been any consistency at the coaching positions. When things start to go poorly during the season, our players do not feel the need to answer to anyone. They get in the mindset of "covering their own asses" and playing the blame game. Players deal with an overinvolved owner, and have no fear or respect for the head coach position. Look at Moss' touchdown celebration today.

To me, this was a perfect example of what we've seen from our players all season. One of our stars having a good game, celebrating to make sure they get put on the highlight reel and say "look, im a good player, its someone else's fault we lost, not mine."

The players are running this team, there is no leadership. All our stars go out and look to have a good INDIVIDUAL GAME, so they can't be singled out for being the reason that the TEAM lost. what they don't realize is that all that goes in the books is a loss. Sadly, Art Monk's quote about "making sure the team wins, and the individual accomplishments will take care of themselves" no longer seems to matter to our players.

They are far to comfortable in their positions. No one has any fear of getting benched for poor performances. If they are, they go crying to the owner and the media, and it works. This is combined with the fact that our lack of smart drafting means the players have no motivation to play hard or earn their spots because there is no competition.

Players are told they are good and the best on the team, but when they fail to produce, they don't rally and come out stronger, they blame someone else. Today i heard the commentators calling out numerous players on the team, Blades for his half assed blitzing, the whole D line for not getting pressure, the offense for failing to show any hustle despite being down late in the 4th quarter. The reasoning is simple, they have no motivation.

Sadly, a quote i heard a few weeks ago sums up our team perfectly. A bunch of housepets that go out and get fed to the wolves every week. Eventually a switch has to be flipped in the players minds that says:

"it doesn't matter why you lost, whether it was your fault or not, the fact remains that you lost. You are on a team that is the laughing stock of the NFL and teams look forward to playing because they know all they have to do is show up and wait for you to shoot yourself in the foot, and ditch your teammates at the first sign of competition."

Another telling example of this was the Steeler fan debacle earlier this year. Out cheered in their own stadium, how do they respond? They go out and talk to the media, acting mystified that their fans aren't blindly cheering for them, some of them even blatently calling out the fans for not showing up and doing their jobs. Refusing to accept responsibility for their poor performance and again shifting the blame away from the simple fact that they have done nothing to EARN the respect of their fans. They expect wins to be handed to them by lesser teams, they expect fans to worship the ground they walk on, but they don't feel the need to EARN it. No motivation.

I can only hope that today the players finally hit rock bottom. In my opinion it became painfully obvious today that this team has struggled for the better part of a decade, and the only constant has been the players half ass attitude. They may continue to blame the coaches, whine about being called out in press conferences for their lack of execution, but eventually they need to wake up and realize that THEY are the ones going out and getting embarrassed every week. Zorn gets fired? Maybe, but if he does next year another coach will come in that the players don't respect, they will bail on him as soon as things get tough, and we the fans will be stuck with another year of mediocrity and showboating players celebrating meaningless individual accomplishments.

Do you all think with Zorn starting to sound much like Vermiel did before he left Philly in 1983...that he may resign?

If Zorn were to take it upon himself to say he's just not cut out for this job (or some other excuse) and resign, that would definately save face for Danny/Vinny. :2cents:

I wouldn't be too sure of that, brother. Of course, stranger things have certainly happened at Redskins Park. :)
This thread is sensless. Portis said himself that coach wasn't at fault, it was the players. With Clintons statement, I dont believe Zorn has lost the locker room like some of the fans think. He also should have the chance of bringing in his players, like Devin

How is players running routes short of the first dowen marker play calling? That's execution!!

Actually, it's a designed play. Zorn said when answering a fan email on George Michael's show that the receiver is supposed to be a couple yards shy of the marker and then is expected to gain the couple of yards to get the first down. :doh:

Do you all think with Zorn starting to sound much like Vermiel did before he left Philly in 1983...that he may resign?

That is probably the way they will make it play out in the media. They will come to a financial agreement. Zorn will say that it is too difficult being away from his grandkids and other family etc. in Seattle. Dan will say that they wanted to retain him, but will respect his wishes to be with his family. That is how this horrible chapter is closed.

I don't want to keep posting this, but it fits in perfectly here. Read this before you blame Zorn. Again I apologize if you've read this already but i can't make new threads and Zorn needs to be judged in an unbiased setting:

The problem, plain and simple, is that the players run this team because there hasn't been any consistency at the coaching positions. When things start to go poorly during the season, our players do not feel the need to answer to anyone. They get in the mindset of "covering their own asses" and playing the blame game. Players deal with an overinvolved owner, and have no fear or respect for the head coach position. Look at Moss' touchdown celebration today.

To me, this was a perfect example of what we've seen from our players all season. One of our stars having a good game, celebrating to make sure they get put on the highlight reel and say "look, im a good player, its someone else's fault we lost, not mine."

The players are running this team, there is no leadership. All our stars go out and look to have a good INDIVIDUAL GAME, so they can't be singled out for being the reason that the TEAM lost. what they don't realize is that all that goes in the books is a loss. Sadly, Art Monk's quote about "making sure the team wins, and the individual accomplishments will take care of themselves" no longer seems to matter to our players.

They are far to comfortable in their positions. No one has any fear of getting benched for poor performances. If they are, they go crying to the owner and the media, and it works. This is combined with the fact that our lack of smart drafting means the players have no motivation to play hard or earn their spots because there is no competition.

Players are told they are good and the best on the team, but when they fail to produce, they don't rally and come out stronger, they blame someone else. Today i heard the commentators calling out numerous players on the team, Blades for his half assed blitzing, the whole D line for not getting pressure, the offense for failing to show any hustle despite being down late in the 4th quarter. The reasoning is simple, they have no motivation.

Sadly, a quote i heard a few weeks ago sums up our team perfectly. A bunch of housepets that go out and get fed to the wolves every week. Eventually a switch has to be flipped in the players minds that says:

"it doesn't matter why you lost, whether it was your fault or not, the fact remains that you lost. You are on a team that is the laughing stock of the NFL and teams look forward to playing because they know all they have to do is show up and wait for you to shoot yourself in the foot, and ditch your teammates at the first sign of competition."

Another telling example of this was the Steeler fan debacle earlier this year. Out cheered in their own stadium, how do they respond? They go out and talk to the media, acting mystified that their fans aren't blindly cheering for them, some of them even blatently calling out the fans for not showing up and doing their jobs. Refusing to accept responsibility for their poor performance and again shifting the blame away from the simple fact that they have done nothing to EARN the respect of their fans. They expect wins to be handed to them by lesser teams, they expect fans to worship the ground they walk on, but they don't feel the need to EARN it. No motivation.

I can only hope that today the players finally hit rock bottom. In my opinion it became painfully obvious today that this team has struggled for the better part of a decade, and the only constant has been the players half ass attitude. They may continue to blame the coaches, whine about being called out in press conferences for their lack of execution, but eventually they need to wake up and realize that THEY are the ones going out and getting embarrassed every week. Zorn gets fired? Maybe, but if he does next year another coach will come in that the players don't respect, they will bail on him as soon as things get tough, and we the fans will be stuck with another year of mediocrity and showboating players celebrating meaningless individual accomplishments.

I agree one million percent, please keep posting this everywhere!

Actually, it's a designed play. Zorn said when answering a fan email on George Michael's show that the receiver is supposed to be a couple yards shy of the marker and then is expected to gain the couple of yards to get the first down. :doh:

Yeah, and he also said the reason they don't have time to TURN UPFIELD is because they aren't running the routes correctly and their timing with the QB is off. I saw that show too.

2 things NOT happening or things that would surprise the heck out of me...

1. Zorn taking a demotion and staying on board

2. GW or Saunders coming back...I am not sure this is the answer...

We need to do what Blank did in Atl...hire a great young football gm then do presonality tests w/ him and prospective coaches to make sure they work well together...

In my view Vinny and Danny have to much influence and **** up the chemistry...I the Hall signing was all vinny and danny and that and letting LT go for whatever reason destroyed the chemistry on defense...killed it...and its the sort of cold move danny and vinny make becasue they don't understand team and the mindset of players and building it so they will WANT to run through a wall for the organization....thats what we do not have...Zorn is not building a team...and vinny and danny are no help...

plays are one thing but team vibe is another...we have zero team mojo! vinny snyda and zorn are to blame!!!!!!!!!!

I hadn't thought of that angle either.

He sounded like a guy in the late 80's who realized that his next fight was against Mike Tyson.

He also might land on his feet somewhere else and could easily blame the FO. Everyone else has been able to do that and for good reasons!

I agree one million percent, please keep posting this everywhere!

11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote huge blocks of text or pictures.

If you would like to respond to the contents of a particular post, simply quote the sentence or idea that you're commenting upon, not necessarily the entire post. It wastes space on the database and unnecessarily extends and clutters threads.

Archived