Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Iraqi Reporter Throws Shoes at Bush

redskins4life234

It is amazing when you think about it. From the images of Sadam's statue being toppled and citizens hitting it with shoes, to the purple thumb (which was one of the coolest pro democrasy images ever) to this incident and now thousands of Iraqis and Iraqi students hating Bush and defending this reporter.

It makes you sad if you think about it. Sadam was truly hated by many in Iraq. In getting rid of the monster by too many we are seen as the monster.

I'll agree with you on this. It didn't turn out to be in our best interests. That said, prematurely leaving also would not have been in our best interests. Fortunately, it looks like we have gotten to the point that when we do leave in 2011 (or mostly leave bet we'll have some soldiers there for decades) it will not be a premature departure.

I agree. I have never advocated for an immediate pullout.

I nevertheless advocate strongly for laying the blame for getting us into this fiasco at the feet of the people who pushed us into this mess. They acted with utter arrogance and irresponsibility and I'm glad they ate it at the last election.

Peace Activists Take Shoes to White House in Solidarity with Shoe-Throwing Iraqi Journalist Call for his release and tribute to Iraqis who have suffered under US occupation

December 15th, 2008

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT

Peace Activists Take Shoes to White House in Solidarity with Shoe-Throwing Iraqi Journalist

Call for his release and tribute to Iraqis who have suffered under US occupation

WHAT: Peace activists to gather with shoes in solidarity to Iraqi journalist

WHEN: 11 a.m., Weds. Dec. 17

WHERE: In front of White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

WASHINGTON, D.C. - In solidarity with an Iraqi journalist who threw his shoes at George W. Bush at a Baghdad press conference Sunday, peace activists will gather outside the White House with bags of shoes representing Iraqis and U.S. soldiers who have died since the Bush Administration's illegal invasion of Iraq.

They aim to show support for Iraqi journalist Muntader al-Zaidi, who hurled his shoes at President Bush while he spoke at the conference on his "surprise" visit to discuss the war. Al-Zaidi is currently being held by Iraqi police and questioned on his actions. The peace activists are calling on the Iraqi government to release al-Zaidi without charges and have set up a fund to support him and his family."

"It's outrageous that al-Zaidi could get two years in prison for insulting George Bush, when Bush is directly responsible for the deaths of 1.5 million Iraqis and 4,200 U.S. troops, and 5 million displaced Iraqis," says Medea Benjamin of CODEPINK. "The one who should be in jail is George Bush, and he should be charged with war crimes."

The gesture of throwing shoes is considered a major insult in Arabic culture.

"Al-Zaidi's act of civil disobedience expresses the disgust that so many Iraqis and Americans feel towards a man who has caused so much pain and suffering," says Anas Shallal of Iraqi Voices for Peace. "It is indeed a fitting tribute to the end of the Bush reign of terror."

U.S. veterans who served in Iraq will also participate in the shoe action at the White House.

"Having one shoe thrown at George Bush pales in comparison to the suffering that veterans and Iraqis go through everyday," says Geoffrey Milliard of Iraq Veterans Against the War. "Perhaps if Bush can see some more of these shoes before he leaves office, he will feel some of our pain."

----------------------

I think im gonna have to go down there during lunch and watch this. I'll try and bring a camera

It is amazing when you think about it. From the images of Sadam's statue being toppled and citizens hitting it with shoes, to the purple thumb (which was one of the coolest pro democrasy images ever) to this incident and now thousands of Iraqis and Iraqi students hating Bush and defending this reporter.

It makes you sad if you think about it. Sadam was truly hated by many in Iraq. In getting rid of the monster by too many we are seen as the monster.

Hated by Sadr supporters?...Who gives a crap?

http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2008/12/outrageous-ap-lies-make-shoe-tosser.html

Iraqis demonstrated in the streets Monday demanding the release of the journalist who hurled two shoes at President Bush during a press conference on Sunday, as Arabs across the Middle East hailed Bush's assailant as a hero who reflected their anger at American policies.

It is not until the 9th paragraph that the Washington Post reports that the only ones protesting in support of al-Zaidi are the followers of anti-American Iranian-backed extremist Muqtada Al-Sadr who holds a minority of influence in the Iraqi Congress.

The Sadrist block holds only 30 seats in the 275 member Parliament.

The rest of the WaPo's report talks about the response in foreign anti-American regimes and a few individuals on the street in Iraq.

What misleading propaganda!

In reality-- The Iraqi Media Center demanded today that Al-Baghdidia apologize for the attack on Bush. And, the The Kurdish press syndicate also condemned the attack on President Bush by the Al-Baghdidia reporter.

Hated by Sadr supporters?...Who gives a crap?

It is not until the 9th paragraph that the Washington Post reports that the only ones protesting in support of al-Zaidi are the followers of anti-American Iranian-backed extremist Muqtada Al-Sadr who holds a minority of influence in the Iraqi Congress.

The Sadrist block holds only 30 seats in the 275 member Parliament.

I find it hard to believe that the reporter or any reporter made an accurate survey of the protesters. So, how many of those thousands who protested or University students were Sadr idiots versus a different kind of idiot or even conscientious protester I don't know, but I don't believe anyone polled those protestors as to their ideology and affiliations.

I could be wrong.

I do agree with your statement in general though. Those protesting because they are in favor of Sadr are not winning much of my sympathy.

The lower end of this spectrum is generally thought to be the more accurate assessment. That said you're playing with statistics. Saddam's murders would have continued as long as he and his sons were in power and at times had and likely would have again greatly exceeded the three year period you are using to damn the US with. The death rates now are less than Saddam's last two year average. One of the things that I have a problem with the anti-war crowd, sorry some of the anti-war crowd, are the crocodile tears they shed for the Iraqi's killed since 2003. They don't give a damn for the Iraqi casualties other than to use them to bash the US with. If their prime motivation was saving life then they would have supported the Iraq invasion.

How Orwellian of you - is your name Winston Smith?

I thought the invasion was about WMDS, NOT merely liberating Iraqis from their dictator? Has the history already been rewritten? Do we conveniently forget why we were involved with this nation in the first place?

9-11, WMDS, 9-11, WMDs - isn't that we heard 2002-2003?

Some folks here have REALLY short memories.

Talking about crocodile tears - you are thoerizing about the people that COULD have died from Saddam, as opposed to the ACTUAL people that have died since 2003. How strange is that?

Iraqi civilians died as a direct result of our involvement, and it's double-think to suggest that we had to "destroy" the country to save it. Are we such a God-appointed nation that it does not matter who dies from our efforts?

What's sad, though, is to see fellow Americans continually try to absolve us of any responsibility for deaths caused by our actions. All we have to do is make the claim that "Saddam would have been worse" and everything is OK. Do you think that explanation would work if you spoke with the thousands of families who have lost loved ones during this conflict?

Why do some of us want to take no responsibility for our actions? Those who support the war often care little for deaths caused by our actions - in fact, this is the last subject that is ever discussed, because the "Saddam" card is always played if it is brought up.

Why do you think so many Iraqis see little difference between us and Saddam?

The US supported Saddam when it was convenient, since the 50's when he was a CIA asset and up to the late 80's, before the first Persian Gulf War. Let's not behave as if the US had no involvement or interaction with Saddam. We are one of the prime reasons why he gained power in the first place, as a counter-weight to communists, the Soviets, and ultimately the post-revolution Iranians.

And now, after supporting this tyrant for decades, we are supposed to fall in line because our government suddenly "cares"?

Seeing how our country has invaded their country and killed tens of thousands of their civilians, I say he has all the right in the world to throw a ****ing show at him.
I'm not for the war, I think it is a bad mistake. However, he is the leader of our country and no matter what, he has my support. I was drunk when I posted that. The secret service should have shot him in the foot. Eye for eye, foot for shoe....

How Orwellian of you - is your name Winston Smith?

I thought the invasion was about WMDS, NOT merely liberating Iraqis from their dictator? Has the history already been rewritten? Do we conveniently forget why we were involved with this nation in the first place?

9-11, WMDS, 9-11, WMDs - isn't that we heard 2002-2003?

Some folks here have REALLY short memories.

Talking about crocodile tears - you are thoerizing about the people that COULD have died from Saddam, as opposed to the ACTUAL people that have died since 2003. How strange is that?

Iraqi civilians died as a direct result of our involvement, and it's double-think to suggest that we had to "destroy" the country to save it. Are we such a God-appointed nation that it does not matter who dies from our efforts?

What's sad, though, is to see fellow Americans continually try to absolve us of any responsibility for deaths caused by our actions. All we have to do is make the claim that "Saddam would have been worse" and everything is OK. Do you think that explanation would work if you spoke with the thousands of families who have lost loved ones during this conflict?

Why do some of us want to take no responsibility for our actions? Those who support the war often care little for deaths caused by our actions - in fact, this is the last subject that is ever discussed, because the "Saddam" card is always played if it is brought up.

Why do you think so many Iraqis see little difference between us and Saddam?

The US supported Saddam when it was convenient, since the 50's when he was a CIA asset and up to the late 80's, before the first Persian Gulf War. Let's not behave as if the US had no involvement or interaction with Saddam. We are one of the prime reasons why he gained power in the first place, as a counter-weight to communists, the Soviets, and ultimately the post-revolution Iranians.

And now, after supporting this tyrant for decades, we are supposed to fall in line because our government suddenly "cares"?

Actually the invasion was about more than WMDs, but that has nothing to do with my post. Nor did my post address those who support the war's views on civilian deaths (Frankly my position is US interests always come first). Nor did it address revisionist fantasys about who put Saddam in power and support him while in power. My post was a condemnation of the anti-war crowds use of Iraqi civilian deaths to bash the US with and also the repeated attempts to exagerate Iraqi civilian deaths in support of that argument.

• 3 months later...

Archived