Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blago scandal: Rahm Emanuel and Jesse Jackson Jr face new revelations: Timesonline

TrumanB

I am absolutely loving this. Obama isn't even in office and his people are already embroiled in scandal. :doh:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article5332897.ece

Pressure grew on two of Barack Obama’s closest political aides yesterday as new details emerged of the “pay-for-play” allegations against the Governor of his home state.

Rahm Emanuel, the President-elect’s new Chief of Staff, and Jesse Jackson Jr, the co-chairman of his presidential campaign, both faced new revelations about their possible involvement in the scandal.

Fox News Chicago reported that Mr Emanuel, a Chicago politician who won the Illinois Governor’s former congressional seat, may have been captured on FBI wire-taps discussing the fate of Mr Obama’s vacated US Senate seat with Rod Blagojevich.

The TV station said Mr Emanuel had “multiple conversations” with the Governor, who is accused of trying to “sell” the open Senate seat for a Cabinet post or lucrative top foundation job. The report said the Governor was given a list of Senate candidates acceptable to Mr Obama. Because the FBI was secretly taping Mr Blagojevich in recent weeks, Mr Emanuel’s conversations may have been recorded, Fox News Chicago said.

Any recordings of the newly appointed White House Chief of Staff speaking to Mr Blagojevich about Mr Obama’s former Senate seat would prove an acute embarrassment to the incoming Obama Administration, even if no illegal deals were discussed, and could even force Mr Emanuel’s resignation. Mr Obama has promised to release details of any contacts between his staff and the Governor’s office but told a news conference on Thursday that he was “absolutely certain” that none of his aides was involved in any deal-making.

Mr Emanuel skipped Mr Obama’s press conference, which he typically attends. Cornered by a Chicago Sun-Times reporter at a concert at his children’s school, he refused to comment.

“I’m not going to say a word to you,” Mr Emanuel said. “I’m going to do this with my children. Don’t do that. I’m a father. I have two kids. I’m not going to do it.”

He was asked: “Can’t you do both?” Mr Emanuel replied: “I’m not as capable as you. I’m going to be a father. I’m allowed to be a father.”

Mr Emanuel told an ABC News cameraman, whom he invited into his house to use the toilet yesterday, that he was receiving “regular death threats” because his home address had been put on TV.

Jesse Jackson Jr, the Congressman son of the famed civil rights leader, also faced new questions yesterday about his quest for Mr Obama’s vacated Senate seat.

A group of ethnic Indian businessmen with ties to Mr Jackson and Mr Blagojevich reportedly held a lunch on October 31 and discussed raising $1 million for the Governor’s campaign to encourage him to pick Mr Jackson as Senator, the Chicago Tribune said.

Raghuveer Nayak, a major Blagojevich donor who also has ties to the Jackson family, then co-sponsored a fund-raiser for the Governor on Saturday attended by Mr Blagojevich and Jesse Jackson Jr’s brother Jonathan, the newspaper said.

Mr Nayak, a leader of Chicago’s Asian community, owns a string of surgery clinics and was once involved in a land deal with Jonathan Jackson.

Mr Jackson Jr met Mr Blagojevich at 4pm on Monday to discuss his interest in the Senate seat. Mr Blagojevich was arrested at his home at 6am on Tuesday by prosecutors who said they were trying to thwart a “political crime spree”. Jesse Jackson Jr is due to meet prosecutors next week, but has been told he is not a target of the investigation.

He insisted yesterday that no one had offered the Governor money for the Senate seat on his behalf.

“People know me. They know who I am. I’m confident that no one on my behalf made a single offer to anybody for anything. I would not accept the position if it were offered under those circumstances,” he said.

Mr Blagojevich, meanwhile, went to work again yesterday without making any public comment despite the growing clamour for his resignation. Lisa Madigan, the Illinois Attorney-General, filed a motion with the state’s highest court asking the judges to declare the scandal-plagued Governor unfit to hold office. John Harris, Mr Blagojevich’s Chief of Staff, who was charged along with the Governor, last night stepped down from his job, adding to the pressure on his boss.

Sounds like Rahm may be done quickly. Possibly the quickest resignation of a Presidential staff member in history.

You had to get suspicious, seeing him try to hide and dodge questions over the last week.

And Jesse Jackson Jr. is a whole other story.

10 years ago, Jesse Sr. boycotted an American auto maker. He protested, claiming that they discriminated against african-americans.

He played the race card against many companies back then. And not wanting public scrutiny, or sales to be hurt, many 0f these targets just gave Jesse something to make him shut up, and go away.

The payoff in this case?

Jesse Jr. was given a car dealership.

Disgusting family.

You know this may be the first time I can recall that people are trying to get politicians in trouble for refusing to engage in shady shenanigans. The one thing that seems clear is that Emanuel, Obama, etc. did not play ball and frustrated the hell out of Gov. Rod B. Crooked.

You know this may be the first time I can recall that people are trying to get politicians in trouble for refusing to engage in shady shenanigans. The one thing that seems clear is that Emanuel, Obama, etc. did not play ball and frustrated the hell out of Gov. Rod B. Crooked.

That is the way it appears, and I suspect that their current "silence" on the issue probably indicates a desire to allow some facts that they know will exhonerate them to naturally come to light.

Most likely, we shouldnt.

The only thing that could be an issue (and this a reach to say the least) is if Obama's staff had any influence or knowledge of the "bribes" that seemed to be occurring. personally, I dont think thats the case.

Yeah, bribery cases are one of those things where things like the exact words used, and even tone of voice, can make a huge difference.

If all Obama, or his staff, said was "I think <Candidate X> would be a really good choice for the job" then it's nothing.

Unless/until actual, complete, audio are made publicly available, then nobody can really make any conclusions one way or another.

(My gut feeling is that there isn't going to be any proof of involvement in bribery, if for no other reason than my assumption that politicians at that level are too smart to actually speak openly about bribery, even when they're doing it. Although The Gov'ner appears to be stupid enough to do so.)

(My gut feeling is that there isn't going to be any proof of involvement in bribery, if for no other reason than my assumption that politicians at that level are too smart to actually speak openly about bribery, even when they're doing it. Although The Gov'ner appears to be stupid enough to do so.)

Yea, they must use Text abbreviations such as "OMG" :)

My guess is that the text came across something like this :

SEN ST 4 SLE

Why should you love this? Is your party or ideology more important than the good of the county? You want bad things to happen? That makes you part of the problem this nation faces.

God I'm sick of the political parties and those who are too ignorant to put the interests of the nation ahead of them. :doh:

That is what it appears to me.

I would imagine Emmanuel did have discussions about who should take the vacated seat

That would only be natural and the smart thing to do

I don't thing Emmanuel was involved in the "pay for play" aspect of it

There is a clear difference there, which most intelligent people will notice. If Emmanuel is caught on tape saying "I think Candidate 5 will put up 500k to get the seat" then we have something

Until then, nothing

My guess is he was being sarcastic, based on the :doh: smiley instead of the :)

Is your guess that he's being sarcastic based on the 147 other threads he's started, trying furiously to create a scandal, any scandal, out of anything or nothing?

And why is this so CLEAR to you? There are still many questions to be answered.

Is your guess that he's being sarcastic based on the 147 other threads he's started, trying furiously to create a scandal, any scandal, out of anything or nothing?

L,

Trying to minimize this obvious scandal will not make it go away. By any measure it's a scandal and just because your "chosen one" has been sullied by it does not make him absolutely innocent. If Chicago politics is true to form I'd bet BO is well aware of what is going on. Time will tell of course.

Attitudes like this that are flushing this country down the global commode.

"Country First" my arse.

Oh please. Did you conveniently forget the last 8 years of the battlecry "Impeach Bush"? I didn't forget it.

Obama is going to be disaster for this country. One term and done is what I'm hoping for.

....Unless/until actual, complete, audio are made publicly available, then nobody can really make any conclusions one way or another.....
Its funny that the limited amount of "Tape" released seems to exonerate Obama, even though the same tape almost proves there was some negotiation, despite Obama's claim to the contrary

Funny that the Liberal Media can't stop saying "Obamas not involved"

I agree with Larry, lets hear the whole tape(s)

I agree

Its funny that the limited amount of "Tape" released seems to exonerate Obama, even though the same tape almost proves there was some negotiation, despite Obama's claim to the contrary

Funny that the Liberal Media can't stop saying "Obamas not involved"

I agree with Larry, lets hear the whole tape(s)

What needs to be determined is whether Obama or his staff had contact with the governor and tried to actually bargain with him for the seat, or whether they just stated their preference for Obama's replacement and ignored his solicitations.

There is a BIG difference between the two, being one is illegal and the other is not out of the ordinary at all. Having Rahm discuss with Blago who they want to be Obama's replacement wouldn't be anything strange or controversial at all.

And wasn't it reported that Rahm may have spoken with the feds about the investigation and told them about Blago's attempts at solicitation? or am I getting this all wrong?

.....Obama is going to be disaster for this country......
It would seem very strange if Obama (or staff) DIDN'T speak to the Governor concerning his Senate Seat

What seems strange is....

1)

Staff mentions they would meet (interview and article)

Obama then denies meeting

Obama then says HE didn't meet but maybe staff did

2)

Rahm is running scared and won't answer questions....despite the press defending him

3)

Limited Tape Release seems to exonerate Obama....which seems to also prove that some contact did take place

Obama seems to be handling this issue like the Jr. Senator that he is...not getting his story straight

Also

There is some conspiracy theory about this story being withheld to assist Obama in the election......I do not know about that

BUT

I wonder if the Bidding on the Senate seat got so HUGE that maybe some political decision was made to END the investigation Early so as not to Implicate MORE individuals :2cents:

Archived