Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blago scandal: Rahm Emanuel and Jesse Jackson Jr face new revelations: Timesonline

TrumanB

L,

Trying to minimize this obvious scandal will not make it go away. By any measure it's a scandal and just because your "chosen one" has been sullied by it does not make him absolutely innocent. If Chicago politics is true to form I'd bet BO is well aware of what is going on. Time will tell of course.

trying to create a scandal where there isn't one will make you look foolish. The investigators already have the tapes and they have already brought charges. The DA always goes for the biggest fish he can get and he's gone for the gov.

Again I'll challenge anyone to tell me where the wrong doing is here? Did some of Obama's people talk to Blago? Sure. We already knew that. They were supposed to have talked to him about the senate vacancy.

Oh please. Did you conveniently forget the last 8 years of the battlecry "Impeach Bush"? I didn't forget it.

Obama is going to be disaster for this country. One term and done is what I'm hoping for.

Here's the difference that you fail to get, he didn't "love" seeing Bush fail, unlike what you are looking for...nay hoping for from Obama. You seem to think that we sat back in utter glee watching Bush gut our nation and send 4100+ Americans to die in a war that was not their own, but you are wrong, and to hear you sit in glee over controversy hoping Obama fails is the same as hoping that our nation gets hurt worse than it is now.

Again, "Country First" my arse.

There is some conspiracy theory about this story being withheld to assist Obama in the election......I do not know about that

A story about selling a vacant senate seat before the election that created the vacancy. That is a hell of a conspiracy theory.

L,

Trying to minimize this obvious scandal will not make it go away. By any measure it's a scandal

a,

The "obvious scandal" consists of:

Blago is a politician from Illinois, and Obama is a politician from Illinois.

And Blago is on tape, complaining about the fact that Obama isn't offering him a bribe.

"By any measure", it's a scandal if you desperately, desperately want it to be.

....Having Rahm discuss with Blago who they want to be Obama's replacement wouldn't be anything strange or controversial at all....
Agree

That Obama first ran away from the thought of meeting with the Governor says he knew about something (and maybe found out through Rahm?)

Rahm not answering questions could be related to the fact that maybe he was a significant part of the Feds case against the governor

But

I don't think the Feds approached Rahm first and said....

"Please go to the Governor and ask him this"

I think it more likely that Rahm was on a tape and THEN the Feds approached him and said....

"You WILL ask him this....or else"

Oh please. Did you conveniently forget the last 8 years of the battlecry "Impeach Bush"? I didn't forget it.

Obama is going to be disaster for this country. One term and done is what I'm hoping for.

Oh please. Did you conveniently forget the highest approval ratings in US History?

It would seem very strange if Obama (or staff) DIDN'T speak to the Governor concerning his Senate Seat

What seems strange is....

1)

Staff mentions they would meet (interview and article)

Obama then denies meeting

Obama then says HE didn't meet but maybe staff did

2)

Rahm is running scared and won't answer questions....despite the press defending him

3)

Limited Tape Release seems to exonerate Obama....which seems to also prove that some contact did take place

Obama seems to be handling this issue like the Jr. Senator that he is...not getting his story straight

Also

There is some conspiracy theory about this story being withheld to assist Obama in the election......I do not know about that

BUT

I wonder if the Bidding on the Senate seat got so HUGE that maybe some political decision was made to END the investigation Early so as not to Implicate MORE individuals :2cents:

1. That is strange and needs to be determined.

2. Again, I could be wrong, but I thought that Rahm was assisting in the investigation and couldn't comment because it IS an ongoing investigation.

3. Can't comment bc I haven't heard the tape release.

Also: Obama's Senate seat didn't become available until AFTER the election, so that makes no sense.

BUT: There was a decision made to stop this before Blago actually made an appointment, which would have turned this whole thing crazier than it already is, especially if it was actually a bought seat. The investigation is being headed by Patrick Fitzgerald, I believe, who has an excellent reputation for being unbiased about his investigations, which was IMO confirmed by how he handled the Libby investigation.

a,

The "obvious scandal" consists of:

Blago is a politician from Illinois, and Obama is a politician from Illinois.

And Blago is on tape, complaining about the fact that Obama isn't offering him a bribe.

"By any measure", it's a scandal if you desperately, desperately want it to be.

I think all the "pal'n around with terrorist" logic sunk in and now they actually think that loose associations are enough of a link to mean something. Blago tried to sell a senate seat and got mad at Obama for refusing to pay him in any.

The press is failing. What happened here is PROOF THAT OBAMA IS NOT CORRUPT. Rarely do we get to see evidence of corrupt politicians furious at those that refuse to be. Lucky for us Obama is looking better than expected and he hasn't even taken office yet.

Also notice his response was to investigate and release info on contact between his staff and Blago? Welcome change considering the information black hole currently at the top of the executive.

What needs to be determined is whether Obama or his staff had contact with the governor and tried to actually bargain with him for the seat, or whether they just stated their preference for Obama's replacement and ignored his solicitations.

There is a BIG difference between the two, being one is illegal and the other is not out of the ordinary at all. Having Rahm discuss with Blago who they want to be Obama's replacement wouldn't be anything strange or controversial at all.

And wasn't it reported that Rahm may have spoken with the feds about the investigation and told them about Blago's attempts at solicitation? or am I getting this all wrong?

Agreed. In cases like this, wording, and even tone of voice, can mean everything.

Remembering an analogy I heard somebody use, back when the scandal was rumors of Reagan and Ollie North, and exactly what Reagan told him to do.

The commentator I'd heard made the analogy that the "case" could well hinge on whether:

Did The Godfater say "We have a problem in Detroit"?

Or did he say "We have a problem in Detroit. And next week, I'm going to my kid's school play. And when I go to that play, I don't want to have a problem in Detroit, no more."?

....BUT: There was a decision made to stop this before Blago actually made an appointment, which would have turned this whole thing crazier than it already is,....
If Jesse Jr. was #5

How many others were there?

How many others already made Offers? (bribes)

How many others are politically conected enough to influence investigations?

It seems to me that the Feds could have let it go crazy and maybe snagged #6? (not saying Jesse Jr. is guilty of anything at #5)

And Obama can't get his story straight about any involement despite the assistance of the Media and its "Obama not involved" campaign

Just saying that he can't get his story straight doesn't make it so.

He said he didn't meet with Blago. He didn't say that his staff didn't contact him. Those are different topics that he was asked about.

If Jesse Jr. was #5

How many others were there?

How many others already made Offers? (bribes)

How many others are politically conected enough to influence investigations?

It seems to me that the Feds could have let it go crazy and maybe snagged #6? (not saying Jesse Jr. is guilty of anything at #5)

Yeah, I'm just giving the investigators the benefit of the doubt here, based on nothing other than reputation. I'm assuming they made the right call about when to take this public.

If in fact Jesse Jr. did nothing wrong in terms of bribery, then I feel really bad for the guy bc his political career could very well be over. His name is gonna be on this thing no matter whether he is guilty of anything or not. It will probably hang over his head for the rest of his life.

Just saying that he can't get his story straight doesn't make it so......
BS

Asked by a reporter if he was aware of the allegations involving the pay-to-play tactics to fill his Senate seat, Obama said: “I had no contact with the governor or his office, and so I was not aware of what was happening,.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/12/09/obama-on-blagojevich-not-aware-of-what-was-happening/

That Dog Don't Hunt

Rahm didn't tell his man what was going down???

Somebody from Obamas staff talked to Blago...the results of that meeting didn't get to Obama?

BS

Who on Obamas staff has the ability to Negotiate that type of Bribery agreement?....and then screen it from the Messiah?

BS

Dumb idea for one possible way to at least reduce the immediate threat that's posed, here:

Would it help if the US Senate would pass a resolution, announcing that they would refuse to seat anybody that the Governor were to appoint? (But that they'd recognize whoever the Lt Governor appointed?)

What is strange about this is that it was reported on CNN yesterday that Rahm was not a subject of interest based on the investigation. Care to explain that Truman?

Nope the reports are that Rahm is not a "target" of the investigation. Target and subject are two very different things when in the context of legalese.

Dumb idea for one possible way to at least reduce the immediate threat that's posed, here:

Would it help if the US Senate would pass a resolution, announcing that they would refuse to seat anybody that the Governor were to appoint? (But that they'd recognize whoever the Lt Governor appointed?)

A federal body, the Senate, cannot tell a State body the Governor what to do.The Gov, as it stands right now is fully capable of appointing whom he wants. That won't change unless the people if IL do something about it and not the Federal Gov't.

Related...haha

Sign warning of rats in Blagojevich's alley taken down

Earlier this week, Chicago Sun-Times photographer John White shot a picture of the governor ducking out of his Ravenswood Manor home to avoid passing through a news media gauntlet.

The photo showed Blagojevich next to a city sign that said, "Warning" and "Target Rats" with a picture of a rat inside a bull's-eye.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/blagojevich/1328289,rat-sign-blagojevich-rod-governor-illinois-121208.article

And why is this so CLEAR to you? There are still many questions to be answered.

Someone hasn't been paying attention.

Quote:Blagojevich in a conversation intercepted by federal agents calls Obama a “motherf----r” and dismisses Obama’s unwillingness to strike a deal: “F—k him.”

Quote:“Blagojevich said he knows that the president-elect wants Senate Candidate 1 for the Senate seat but ‘they’re not willing to give me anything except appreciation. F--k them,’” states the report.

Someone hasn't been paying attention.

Quote:Blagojevich in a conversation intercepted by federal agents calls Obama a “motherf----r” and dismisses Obama’s unwillingness to strike a deal: “F—k him.”

Quote:“Blagojevich said he knows that the president-elect wants Senate Candidate 1 for the Senate seat but ‘they’re not willing to give me anything except appreciation. F--k them,’” states the report.

Quoted for truth. Pay attention here people.

Archived