Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zorn Press Monday Conference (recap)

RyansRangers

IMHO, I think Suisham needs to go, if he makes that field goal before the half, this game would have been entirely different.

...but honestly kicking is one of those positions that needs competition and Suisham has had a free ride all season. When he missed that kick yesterday, our emotional edge went with it.

I agree 1 million %.......I said it in one of the threads after he missed that FG, that we were going to lose that game. I felt it, I couldnt deny it. I wanted to, but couldnt. I tried to be optimistic, but I saw it in the players and coaches. We were done. I knew for us to come out in win that game, Zorn was going to have to have the greatest half time speech ever.

And unless we have perrenial Pro Bowl kicker on our team, there needs to be an open competition every year at the kicker position. Especially with all of the scum bum kickers we've had over the years.

Fair enough, but I don't see the need to hate on BigMike or anyone else in this thread. McD5 came out with some ridiculous and ignorant statements and got blasted for them - and deservedly so.

What was ridiculous?

Or, I guess anything you don't agree with is ridiculous.

Ok, but if you trust Zorn's judgement that much I am curious as to why he would continue to play Campbell if he really thought Brennan was the answer.

Who knows, maybe you'll be right and I'll be wrong - I still think Campbell can be a pretty good NFL QB - maybe with another franchise in 2010.

I will tell you why. When he was hired or all of a sudden pushed into the HC job people asked him who the starting QB was going to be. And he said it is going to be JC for now. So for right now JC is the QB. He also said the starting job can't be taken away from a starting QB because he went out on an injury. He will pull JC after this season is over once he sees JC is not going to cut it in his system.

Read this and make your own judgment:

http://comcastsportsnet.tv/pages/landing/?blockID=6300&feedID=272

I will tell you why. When he was hired or all of a sudden pushed into the HC job people asked him who the starting QB was going to be. And he said it is going to be JC for now. So for right now JC is the QB. He also said the starting job can't be taken away from a starting QB because he went out on an injury. He will pull JC after this season is over once he sees JC is not going to cut it in his system.

Read this and make your own judgment:

http://comcastsportsnet.tv/pages/landing/?blockID=6300&feedID=272

How much would you like to bet?

EDIT: And of course he's gonna talk up his draft picks, what did you want him to say? Yeah, he sucks, but we drafted him anyways.

EDIT2: Might I bring up the link where Zorn told Campbell at the 2005 Combine that he's gonna be a great QB?

suisham made a poor kick good snap good hold

No change of kicker no one will be brought in for try outs.

I went back and watched the replay. The snap was high (BOTH or Albright's snaps were a tad high yesterday) and Plackemeyer did a good job of getting it down. It was a poor kick but I have to wonder if the snap threw him off mentally. It shouldn't but it sure looks like it did.

There's no point in bringing in a kicker this late anyway.

The bottom line is the team AND the coaching on both sides of the ball sucked yesterday. The way the team chose to honor Sean Taylor (with their play) was embarrasing. No wonder his Dad said he was off on a sailboat fishing. It sure beats watching that sorry excuse for a game from above.

What was ridiculous?

Or, I guess anything you don't agree with is ridiculous.

No, there are plenty on here that I disagree with but I don't think make ridiculous points.

On the other hand any post by the name "McD5" usually follows with some ridiculous post about Portis needing to be traded so Betts can start and fumble the season away or Jason Campbell sucks because McD5's bartender says he sucks which is THE foolproof way to tell whether a player in the problem or not.

Dammit, I have bird**** on me now.

How much would you like to bet?

EDIT: And of course he's gonna talk up his draft picks, what did you want him to say? Yeah, he sucks, but we drafted him anyways.

EDIT2: Might I bring up the link where Zorn told Campbell at the 2005 Combine that he's gonna be a great QB?

I don't have to make any bets. He has said he has no problem pulling a QB and he knows first hand what it feels like. Keep in mind he still has a job to do that he is getting paid do.

He has said more positive things about Colt then JC from all I have read.

So where is your link?

Nope, there's simply NO precedent of a backup coming in and winnings. As a Redskins fan, you know this best right?

Nah, it's not like Collins came in last year... and the sack numbers went down and the offense was efficient.

Jason, again, I ask.... when are you EVER going to go against status quo.

You don't use your brain. All you do is mindlessly support whatever the Redskins coaches/players do.... even in loss. Even in error. You're nothing more than a homer... which is OK... except you actually think you're an intelligent football fan. But you're not.

You don't coach.. and you never will.... because you will lose every game. Your teams will be losers.... because you're incapable of thinking.... let alone thinking for yourself.

So, your response is to insult me? How mature.

Yeah the offense was efficient under Collins. That's because he was running Saunders' offense! Last I checked, Saunders isn't here. Collins hasn't run a WCO in years. To say that he can step in and all of the sudden everything would run smoothly is a reach and you should know that. Hell, it took Brett Favre a few games to get comfortable with the system with the Jets, and that's just switching from one WCO to another.

You are right, I don't coach. That's why I do mostly defer to those who know what the hell they are talking about. I don't think that coaching wherever you coach gives you much more insight as to the inner workings of this team than I do. If you are arrogant enough to believe so, go ahead and live in your delusions.

I tend to take what Zorn says at face value mostly because he seems to be a guy who will be frank. Certainly he explains himself far more than Gibbs ever did.

Fix both lines and this is a completely different Football team.

Unfortunately, this FO has never seemed interested in really doing that, short of picking up scrubs in the late rounds. We need at least one or two anchormen on each side of the line, not just a bunch of guys who are good for the money.

Re-Quoted for emphasis.

I'm not usually the guy who talks about who we need to draft, but I keep on thinking this as I watch our games. I feel like JC is lucky when he has any time to throw. Similarly, I feel like we got lucky when we get a sack.

Our lines are average AT THEIR BEST. Lately, they've just been atrocious. That equals several ugly losses, and will continue to mean so.

Even if we get LUCKY and the lines play out of their minds to get us into the playoffs, we have GOT to address the situation in the offseason through draft and free agency. LOOK AT THE JETS.

-nomad

I thought it was pretty revealing when in Zorn's monday press conference, he said each week he was adding more and more complex schemes to try to keep up with "the season". What he was really saying was that as the season progresses, defenses get more and more complex and utilize increasingly complex schemes and fronts. In order for him to "keep moving with the season" or stay ahead of these defenses to be able to counter them and exploit them, it requires increasinly complex OFFENSIVE schemes as well.

Al Saunders was known for his highly complex offenses. When an offense grasps these very complex schemes, they can compete and exploit even the most complex defenses. This is why Saunders was so successful in KC: because his complex schemes stuck with the players - Trent Green most importantly.

It is because Saunders' offense is so intricate and complex and thus can overtake even the most innovative of defenses that Gregg Williams himself ranked Saunders among the top of offensive coordinators and recommended to Joe Gibbs that he be hired as our OC. Gibbs couldn't come up with innovative schemes to exploit complex defenses as he was all about having a dominant running game and then chucking it downfield when the safeties crept up to assist in shutting down the super dominant running game. Gibbs's offensive approach was so uninnovative and simple-minded that Williams felt the super innovative Saunders scheme would produce much more offensive success.

Note: Gibbs's unninovative and uncompetitive schemes were still being used when Campbell was drafted by Gibbs himself. Thus Gibbs felt JC was a good fit for his unimaginative, uninnovative offense. Then comes JC's encounter with Al Saunders...

So in comes Saunders with his highly complex offense. Brunell struggles with it. In comes Campbell. Campbell struggles. Fans want the offense to be opened up, yet it isn't. Then comes Collins. The offense is very productive in the final 4 games to make a playoff appearance. The offense stalls in Seattle so everyone writes Collins's success off as meaningless. However, what they fail to see is that this fluctuation in offensive production from the moment Collins is put it in the game is very relevant to gaining some insight about where Jason Campbell is at as an NFL quarterback.

Many fans noticed that the offense was "opened" more for Collins than for JC, opened meaning made more complex/ utilizing more innovative, imaginative schemes. Though this observation was correct, their interpretation of it was wrong. The offense wasn't opened for JC not because the coaches are oppressive racists who hope to keep JC down and out. The reason the offense wasn't opened up for JC (remember opening the offense means impleting more complex concepts and schemes) was because JC couldn't grasp it. He couldn't grasp Saunders's complex schemes and so the offense was "dumbed down" for him.

In JC's defense, it wasn't fair for him to be expected to be able to master complex NFL passing schemes because when he was drafted by Gibbs, that expectation of him was never there. JC was meant to be the signal caller for Gibbs's simple-minded, unimaginative offense (where he was even admittedly copying some plays from other teams because his own approach was that bad.) In comes Saunders, whose offensive philosophy is to out-innovate the defense to be a top-flight offense. Running an innovative offense was never expected of JC when drafted. If it was the expectation of our quarterback at the time JC was drafted, we NEVER WOULD HAVE DRAFTED HIM. Instead, it takes Gibbs, a coach who has been out of football for a very long time with a very uninnovative offense incapable of being competitive in today's NFL for this guy to get drafted, at least so high.

It thus shouldn't be a surprise that Saunders had to keep his offense uninnovative to accommodate JC, or in other words "put him in the best position to win that he could possibly be in". Only when JC goes out and Collins comes in, someone who does grasp complex schemes, our offense is immediately made more innovative, and our offense competes big time. It stalls in Seattle, but no one should have expected it to be flawless and for us to have won the superbowl with the career backup Collins. What is relevant is that the offense was made more innovative once JC was injured and became far more competitive and productive than it ever was with JC.

Note: I hope you are beginning to see the positive correlation between offensive innovation and offensive success. Gregg Williams felt this way, which is why he recommended Saunders, Saunders felt this way and he experienced great offensive competitiveness with a team that did grasp his innovative and complex schemes, and ZORN FEELS THIS WAY TOO. The only person that didn't think this way was Gibbs, who coincidentally DRAFTED JC IN THE FIRST ROUND!

The reason I say Zorn feels this way is because he made it VERY clear to anyone really listening attentively. Zorn mentions how he was feeling obligated to add more and more "complex schemes EACH WEEK" to "stay ahead of the season". Yet he says in today's press confernce that these schemes are too complex for Jason and that he realizes after seeing JC's "average" performance against the Giants that JC won't flourish in complex, innovative schemes that he can't grasp, otherwise we get the very unappealing product we all got yesterday. So now, Zorn is seeing how we can simplify, or "dumb down" the offense (sound familiar? see Saunders) and not lose TOO much ground to the increasinly innovative defenses.

Zorn mentions that Cooley and Santana Moss are "playing at a high offensive level". This means these guys are getting the complex schemes that JC isn't. Some of you may remember that Saunders praised Cooley for understanding his own complex schemes as well. It seems we have a really bright football player in Cooley.

My question is whether we can ever expect JC to "get" the complex, innovative schemes that are required to take us to the next level to compete and out-innovative the increasinly creative defenses knowing that he was drafted when this wasn't even a consideration of the person (Gibbs) drafting him.

I have a lot of faith in Zorn. I had a TON of faith in Saunders. I really don't know whether Campbell is the guy to lead an offense that seeks to out innovate defenses and exploit what defenses are doing schematically...

So, what has he ever done in his career that's positive? He doesn't win games, doesn't throw TDs, is not a leader nor does he throw for many yards. He is a failure in every catergory that can be used to measure an NFL QB.

Well for one thing he's 7-5 as the starter this year with 10 TD's and 4int's. At one point he had one of the longest streak in the NFL for pass attempts and NO INT's. And at one point he was ranked 5th amongst all the Qb's in the league this year.

Dude BigMike is right, ALL you do is bash, bash, and bash! And you even went as far as to hope JC gets hurt, WOW! You seem to be a very low life, lonely, classless bum! Yeah I agree with BigMike, take your clown show on the road elsewhere you idiot.

RED06

"Campbell is not totally failing, I am just trying to have him do advanced things and I might have to take a step back" (when asked about changing qb)

Translation - Jason is not picking up the offense so I'm going to have to dumb down the plays to two progressions.

Defensive coordinators will continue to lick their chops.

I tend to take what Zorn says at face value mostly because he seems to be a guy who will be frank. Certainly he explains himself far more than Gibbs ever did.

Hey, ask Romeo Crennel what he thinks about his players? Has he thrown any of them under a bus? Is he saying anything BUT positive things about his guys?

And here's a guy that's, for all intents and purposes.... been given his walking papers in Cleveland. But who are we to question an NFL coach??? I mean, he's made it far beyond anyone on this board has in coaching... so he's beyond reproach right? He's even won a Super Bowl or 2.

And..... he's had very bad losing season's in 3 of 4 years in Cleveland. And he's going to be fired.

But don't question him.... how dare we.... he's an NFL coach who is infallable.... NFL coaches don't make mistakes right?

Nah, you can't question Crennel in Cleveland... and you certainly can't question a coach in Washington... who up until this point has NO coordinator experience or head coaching experience...... with his team being horribly unimpressive for the past 2 months.

But he's spunky.... and that's all you need right!!! :rolleyes:

Dude, stop your BS. Did you listen to the press conference?

Zorn basically said that he holds JC to a high standard, he's said he wouldn't be happy if a JC made 1 mistake.

Don't post lies.

:cheers:

dont call me a ****ing liar. and then dont try to "cheers" me after like its all good.

im telling you exactly what i heard and if you dont like it then thats fine but dont step out of pocket and talk out of the side of your neck. you dont know me to attack my character as a person.

:cheers:

Nonsense.....you were all over JC in numerous threads....and of course, still are on Portis.

Maybe you will find this educational, or at least, will see where I am coming from.

Name the top 5 backs in the league over the last few seasons.

In no order.....

Portis

AD

LT

Westbrook

and the 5th could be argued....any of maybe 3. Larry Johnson, Gore...etc

Now, how many of their teams have won Superbowls?

Zero.

None.

So why follow a pattern for failure? This isn't 1990. You can no longer build a team solely on a great RB, and expect to win the SB, or even make the playoffs.

That is exactly what we have done here, and continue to do.

When it changes, we might compete for one.

Until then.....why would the results change?

*crickets*

Archived