Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

? For FedEx Fans: Do Our Receivers Just NEVER Get Open?

TD Riggo

What will be the 'skins final record?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the 'skins final record?

• I'm optimistic. 11-5!
    • Ravens will crush us, but we'll win out the last 3. 10-6!
    • We'll knock off SF and Cincy. 9-7.
    • We beat Cincinatti. That's it. 8-8.
    • Whatever. I give up. 7-9

What did the Giants do differently than us? Their QB play is much better.

Hmm so that 11-1 record is only because of Eli Manning?

Lets ignore the Giants running game, their D Line,the back 7, the O line and their underrated receivers.

Yep its only because of the QB and those ints and near ints were just plain luck. :rolleyes:

Twice on 3rd down today JC threw far short of the yard marker to pad his completion percentage. End of drive 3 and out.

Or for those who think, Jason had to check down from the primary receiver (covered) and in the West Coast offense, receivers are expected to produce YAC yards after the catch.

Only when hit in stride. You can't have YAC with circus catches.

You have a point. The ball has to be well thrown, and JC's accuracy was not terrific today. (understatement.)

I do wonder, and this is not an excuse, if the weather affected his throwing at all. It was just sloppy, cold and wet out there, so I wonder if he wasn't used to that. I did see him fall down when planting to throw once. Sigh.

I'm going to go watch something else and not think about this game now. I'm cooked. And infuriated.

It is SICKENING to see Baltimore with NO-NAME receivers and a ROOKIE QB putting up 30+ points practically every game.

Next week if we lose to Baltimore it will be an embarassment.

I think your anger is clouding your thoughts... :)

Derrick Mason and Todd Heap are not no-names and if you watch college football then you should remember that Mark Clayton was supposed to be a dynamic playmaker. The reason you may think Clayton is a no-name is because he's been on the Ravens with guys like Kyle Boller throwing him the ball.

Derrick Mason and Todd Heap are not no-names and if you watch college football then you should remember that Mark Clayton was supposed to be a dynamic playmaker. The reason you may think Clayton is a no-name is because he's been on the Ravens with guys like Kyle Boller throwing him the ball.

Santana Moss and Chris Cooley are playmakers. Not to mention the likes of Antwaan Randle El and Devin Thomas (who showed his versatility this afternoon). Along with Clinton Portis pounding the rock.

I guess with a guy like Jason Campbell those playmaking receivers start to disappear and Clinton must carry the entire offense on his shoulders.

Horrible playcalling is a major element of the answer. I sit 25 rows off the field on the 40 yard line, and I can tell you that in a full 75% of our pass attempts, there is rarely a WR running a route deeper than 6-10 yards past the line of scrimmage, even on 3rd and long situations. I counted at least 5-6 occasions today when Zorn had a 3rd and long, and no single WR was running a route beyond the sticks.

Likewise, there are innumerable packages where only 1 WR is even running a route beyond the line of scrimmage... not to mention the occasions where we split 3 wide, and have James Thrash running the only vertical route (which happened 3 times today, resulting in Jason dumping the ball off well short o fthe sticks).

Zorn is a complete amateur at this point, and the way opposing DC are exposing him demonstrates it. Perhaps he can adjust after an offseason to review.

This is just another excuse we seem to put up every freaking year, and oddly enough because "open" is a subjective term, we never really know the answer. But one has to wonder how receivers such as Laveranues Coles and David Patten and Brandon Lloyd, who according to some never got open for the Redskins, are able to get open on other teams.

And Im afraid guys like D. Thomas and M. Kelly will fall into the same category because he has guys like Jason Campbell throwing them the ball. Not hatin' on Jason, but Im starting to worry.

This is just another excuse we seem to put up every freaking year, and oddly enough because "open" is a subjective term, we never really know the answer. But one has to wonder how receivers such as Lavareneus Coles and David Patten and Brandon Lloyd, who according to some never got open for the Redskins, are able to get open on other teams.

I know our WR can get open. I'm just bemused that Zorn's offense normally has them running 3-5 yard crossing routes, when opposing defenses are already pressing us to stop the short passes and running game??? When we finally do call a few vertical routes, why is it James Thrash getting the call with no separation, and the speedy Devin Thomas hasn't had a deep route called in a month? Why is Dallas' rookie TE catching multiple, deep vertical gamewinning TD passes, while ours (Davis) is inactive behind Yoder?

Zorn's dysfunctional conservatism is currently the ONLY thing stifling this WR corps, along with a nice assist from an OL that can't protect on even a 3 step drop.

our receivers are too small to make plays on their own. by going up and grabbing a high pass. By being big and strong able to make something out of our get yourself killed slants. A big receiver that uses his body to shield a corner.

Its been the same problem for 5+ years and its not Campbells fault. Its amazing he can see the smurfs II behind the modern day corners and LB's.

Thrash is useless why was he out there on 4th and 1?

We can't see on TV for the most part. They never show the open/down field. Are our receivers all just so bad that they NEVER get open downfield, except for maybe three or four plays per game? Or is there just some inability by Campbell to check down or to see Moss or El or the rookies when they're out there? Do we just not send them deep but three or four plays per game?

What's going on with our receivers? Please inform us as to whether it's a campbell problem, or a receiver-never-getting-open problem! Because I'm just freaking curious why we NEVER seem to have a guy open but for one or two plays per game. I know that our line is porous ESPECIALLY on the side that JANSEN is on, and that Campbell is usually running for his life, but not being able to see what is happening on the entire field just leaves me flipping curious!

I watch most Redskins games on TV but was at Fed Ex today and was shocked at how little seperation our receivers were getting. I though for the most part Cambell played really well. He only made 2 or 3 throws that were off the mark and he avoided pressure pretty well until the end of the game when the Giants were teeing off. It's so hard to tell on TV but at the game you can tell we have a decent QB but we need some better receivers and better pass blocking. Moss is the only guy that can really get open but he would be much better if he had a bigger number 1 like receiver to compliment him. Basically they put a safety over Moss and play man on everyone else. We need someone else to put fear in the defenses. I do have hopes for Kelly and Thomas though.

and the drops dont help...i keeep telling myself JC is the man but the past couple weeks hes made me worry about how good he is...thats based on the score and few numbers of TDs our team and he has...but then watching i realize our recievers really dont seem to get open, and drop passes. that backside pass to kelly 25 yards downfield leftside to kelly was amzing, just kelly dropped it (although it wasnt an easy catch, but he could have came down with it)

JC wasn't perfect today but seriously, the drops by Kelly and Randel-El killed drives - if they pull those in, it might've been closer.

I know our WR can get open. I'm just bemused that Zorn's offense normally has them running 3-5 yard crossing routes, when opposing defenses are already pressing us to stop the short passes and running game??? When we finally do call a few vertical routes, why is it James Thrash getting the call with no separation, and the speedy Devin Thomas hasn't had a deep route called in a month? Why is Dallas' rookie TE catching multiple, deep vertical gamewinning TD passes, while ours (Davis) is inactive behind Yoder?

Zorn's dysfunctional conservatism is currently the ONLY thing stifling this WR corps, along with a nice assist from an OL that can't protect on even a 3 step drop.

This is more in line with what I suspect. And I've NEVER gotten why we don't put our young receivers to work. Gibbs was the same way. If they know the playbook (and they SHOULD by the beginning of preseason) then they should be worked into the offense! I realize Kelly has just gotten healthy, but why haven't we tossed long to Devin Thomas or Fred Davis? It just doesn't make sense when we are struggling so much with receivers getting quick separation.

They were never open (at least today), and if they were the offensive line didn't give JC enough time to pass it.

We need to go young on the O-line NOW.

I am glad that there are people out there who watch the whole game instead of just focusing on the pocket where the QB is. So many people want to lay our failure at the feet of Jason Campbell and nobody wants to point fingers at the offensive line or the WR which have been basically invisible for the last few losses. The team hasn't blocked well and the WR have dropped balls when they are open and they haven't gotten the separation needed to be successful. Just because Jason Campbell is the QB doesn't mean that the losses are his fault.

not to make excuses for JC...

but from a quarterback standpoint....After getting hit time and time again, you are just not going to be as effective as that guy who can stand and read the field (ELI!)

While ide love to see JC comfortable and going through his reads, I definitely understand why he has gone back to staring at the first read and trying to get it to him, because its obvious that he doesnt feel like he has time to go to his 2nd and 3rd receivers.

O line plays bad = QB plays bad

lets not forget, through this stretch, we have played the steelers and giants, but still....ide love to see the O line step it up

and Jon Jansen gtf off the field! 4th and 1 and you let JUSTIN TUCK of all people free straight to Portis

Archived