Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

? For FedEx Fans: Do Our Receivers Just NEVER Get Open?

TD Riggo

What will be the 'skins final record?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the 'skins final record?

• I'm optimistic. 11-5!
    • Ravens will crush us, but we'll win out the last 3. 10-6!
    • We'll knock off SF and Cincy. 9-7.
    • We beat Cincinatti. That's it. 8-8.
    • Whatever. I give up. 7-9

Hmm so that 11-1 record is only because of Eli Manning?

Lets ignore the Giants running game, their D Line,the back 7, the O line and their underrated receivers.

Yep its only because of the QB and those ints and near ints were just plain luck. :rolleyes:

So true.

Let's remember that the G'aints defense is what won them the Pooper Bowl last year. Eli is good, but he's still not great. Our defense is very good too, but today was exposed for allowing the G'aints receivers too much cushion. Do that, and Eli is good enough to exploit it.

But I still want to know why week in, week out (not just today against NY) our receivers are not getting the long ball. Heck .. this isn't just THIS year, this has been going on for a LONG time!

Just got home from the game at midnight. Holiday traffic sucks. As for our recievers there was a number of times where the design of the plays flat out stunk where Campbell would roll to a side and there would be a reciever or maybe two who were both double covered and there was nobody even running routes on the backside. I sat there and thought we are lining up with 4 guys and 2 of them are dissappearing when the play starts :doh:

I would really love for us fans to have access to game films and photos to see for ourselves. Those of you who were there obviously know, but the rest of us are just left scratching our heads wondering what is going on in the receiver routes. Again, I just can't believe that in six games, regardless of the caliber of defense we are playing against, our receivers cannot get open enough to make plays that can win the game and get this offense in gear!

IOW -- WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!

I am glad that there are people out there who watch the whole game instead of just focusing on the pocket where the QB is. So many people want to lay our failure at the feet of Jason Campbell and nobody wants to point fingers at the offensive line or the WR which have been basically invisible for the last few losses. The team hasn't blocked well and the WR have dropped balls when they are open and they haven't gotten the separation needed to be successful. Just because Jason Campbell is the QB doesn't mean that the losses are his fault.

But the losses are on him. Dont you always hear announcers and reporters say things like- Manning out dueled Campbell, or something like " Favre leads the Jets to a win over the Titans" ?

Its because the QB is suppose to be the leader, or as they called them in the old days-"THE FIELD GENERAL".

Every team has wr's that drop balls but really good QB's make up for that.

Santana Moss and Chris Cooley are playmakers. Not to mention the likes of Antwaan Randle El and Devin Thomas (who showed his versatility this afternoon). Along with Clinton Portis pounding the rock.

I guess with a guy like Jason Campbell those playmaking receivers start to disappear and Clinton must carry the entire offense on his shoulders.

And Im afraid guys like D. Thomas and M. Kelly will fall into the same category because he has guys like Jason Campbell throwing them the ball. Not hatin' on Jason, but Im starting to worry.
Are people gonna say the same thing a few years from now about DT or MK and JC?

Um, Devin and Malcolm have hardly played and have some injury issues. They could very easily be no-names, because of our own problems.

*Mark Clayton has been a starter since his rookie season and has 187 catches for 2,416 yards in the NFL.

Definitely not the case at the games I've been to.

I'm not saying he hasn't missed open receivers - we all know he has - however at the few games I've been to this year the receivers seem to get almost no seperation down the field.

Not sure what the people at the Giants game saw today though.

The receivers aren't getting much separation underneath since teams are playing us heavy on the short routes. Our guys are getting some separation downfield though but JC is wayyyyy to quick to check down.

I sat in the endzone yellow seats about half way up and basically Jason ONLY looks at one side of the field. He immediately looks to wherever Moss is lined up and if that isnt' there, he drifts out of the pockets and either throws a dump off, throws it away, or eats it. He rarely ever made it back to the other side of the field.

Look, I'm not pinning today only on JC, but do you guys see any progression from this point last year to this point this season??

JC v. Bills on December 2, 2007- 21/37 for 216 yards, 0 TD's, 1 Int

JC v. G-Men on November 30, 2008- 23/38 for 232 yards, 0 TD's, 1 Int

Nothing we have seen from JC leads me to believe he's anything more than a game manager. When Portis runs well, JC plays well. If he doesn't then we JC doesn't. Portis hasn't gone over 100-yards in 6 of 12 games this season. In those 6 games, we're 2-4. In one of those wins Portis was 95+ so if you take that one out he's 1-4 in games where Portis hasn't gotten near the 100-yard plateau.

They get open all the time, the problem is Campbell won't look more than 10 yards downfield. Also if the reciever is not the first read he can be 20 yards wide open and campbell will never see him. I can't count the number of time Devin Thomas has been streaking down the field wide open, nobody withing 20 yards of him, and Campbell never sees him.

Thank You. Perfectly put. The thing with JC is that by the time he drops back, he is looking at his first option and then on top of that he throws to whomever slow as ****, and by then they have guys on him.

Like I said before, if this offense continues being what they have been in the last few seasons....maybe it's Zorn...or was Gibbs? Or maybe it's just the players? Somebody is going to be loosing their jobs real soon because somebody has got to go. It's a shame because we have had a great D in last few seasons gone to waste. :(

Oh we were so spoiled by the Art Monk, Gary Clark, Ricky Sanders era. Receivers that went after the ball if you put it anywhere near them and made plays. Man I miss those days.

But the truth here is that some people here never seen those days and those fans get the most fustrated. I can't blame them at all.

We were asking the same thing last year before Collins came in.

Actually, this is a question that we have been asking ourselves for years. We asked this about Mark Brunell, Patrick Ramsey, Gus Frerotte, etc., etc., etc.

Being the QB for the Washington Redskins has to be one of the hardest jobs on planet Earth. If he doesn't score TDs on every throw & lead his team to the Promised Land each & every time he crosses the field, then he is worthless & must be replaced...oftentimes, by someone we BELIEVE to be better, but usually isn't. Why? Because he isn't on the field right now making the mistakes this guy is. Therefore, he MUST be better.

Unfortunately, I don't think this mentality will ever die in this fanbase. As long as we continue with this attitude, I don't think we will ever have the QB we seem to want. Mainly because we never give the QB at hand enough time to develop into the QB we wish for. Yes, there have been a string of bad QBs come & go. I don't think this is one of those times, but some of us are so used to that revolving door, they think that's the way it should be. It's not.

There"s the right answer!!! Our QB is the only one missing in action, not our recievers!

How many critical passes on 3rd down did Jason drop? Was it Jason standing around blocking thin air on a crucial 4th and short run?

I'm saying JC is playing as well as he can nor as well as he needs to but a QB can not do it alone. The entire offense needs to step up starting with the O'line.

Heyer needs to come back in for Jansen for me.

I would insert Thomas as the #3 and Kelly as the #4 and drop Thrash to #5.

Portis is clearly really banged up and it might well be that we need to sit him for a week to try to get him healthy and go with a pass first game plan against a Raven team who will stack the box and bring pressure.

We will get single coverage outside and we need to mix in some early screens with some deep shots to Moss and Thomas to do to the Ravens what the Giants did to us.

How many critical passes on 3rd down did Jason drop? Was it Jason standing around blocking thin air on a crucial 4th and short run?

I'm saying JC is playing as well as he can nor as well as he needs to but a QB can not do it alone. The entire offense needs to step up starting with the O'line.

Heyer needs to come back in for Jansen for me.

I would insert Thomas as the #3 and Kelly as the #4 and drop Thrash to #5.

Portis is clearly really banged up and it might well be that we need to sit him for a week to try to get him healthy and go with a pass first game plan against a Raven team who will stack the box and bring pressure.

We will get single coverage outside and we need to mix in some early screens with some deep shots to Moss and Thomas to do to the Ravens what the Giants did to us.

I'm thinking this is along the lines of what we need to do. We have to do SOMETHING different because what we've been doing ain't working! What do we have to lose anyway. Let's get the big, tall, fast rooks that we drafted more involved.

Archived