Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mid term Grades for Cerrato

PlayAction

Talk Radio keeps knocking the coaching staff for failing to develop the rookie class. I don't think it's the coaches fault if some players apparently don't have the football IQ to know what to do. I know some fans think it takes 3 years to know (for sure) whether a player is going to pan out. I'm not disputing that but I think you can get a clue. If a player doesn't show any spark of something special you can be pretty sure he's not going to in the future. Hoping that it will change in 3 years is blind optimism IMO.

Now that we are more than half way through the season we can give mid-term grades to Cerrato. The grades aren't final and we all hope the go up. At least that's what I tell my kids!

Cerrato is able to move quickly to pick up potential help for the team, e.g., Erasmus James, DeAngelo Hall, and Jason Taylor. Quickness isn't always a virtue though if the person is not the right fit. I would argue that Erasmus James was worth the gamble of a 7th round pick.

The pickup of DeAngelo Hall may turn out to be a real coup as it will save the Skins from having to use a draft pick on a cover corner in the future. On the other hand, letting Torrence go leaves the Skins with Springs as the only CB that specializes in covering the slot receiver. Springs may be on his way out next year.

Jason Taylor cost the Skins a 2nd round pick. You can't blame Cerrato for his health issues (even though the guy is old for a football player). However, one can question whether Taylor was the right fit for the team. He played RDE and has not shown any success on the LDE side considering he's an $8million veteran with a 2 year useful life. Did Cerrato succumb to the star power and ignore the existing talent on team? IMO - yes.

The Draft:

If you count the second round pick on JT, the Skins used 4 second round picks for this season. None have made any noticeable contribution to the team.

All hopes for the second round draft class now rest solely on the shoulders of Malcolm Kelly. I hope he pans out. TE Davis and WR Thomas have the physical gifts but appear to be lacking in either motivation or football IQ. Don't tell me Davis can't get into the lineup because of Cooley. Zorn said the guy can't even register in his mind the called play. Thomas has shown no flashes of potential. This is a scouting issue, not the fault of the coaches IMO.

Chad Rinehart - too early to judge. Rookie OL don't play unless disaster strikes. No +/- for Cerrato at this point.

Justin Tryon CB - small CB may turn out to be redundant now that Skins have picked up Hall. However, no one would have predicted that Hall would become available. The question is whether he can play. If not, it's a bust regardless of Hall. The question though is how well Cerrato plans for players to fit with the team. Do you pick up cover corners or make sure your cadre of CBs can cover all types of WRs? Who is going to cover slot receivers now that Torrence was let go and Springs is rarely available?

Moore S - low round pick has contributed on special teams. About what you should expect.

Punter - Wow, those booming punts in college! Oops!

Chris Horton S - star of the draft. Is this guy a result of great scouting or the previous Skins secondary coach bringing him to the Skins attention? Real important question as the Skins should either promote the scout or just thank the coach profusely. Not to get too much on the Horton bandwagon. He may max out as a rookie but he certainly seems like the Skins will not want for a quality backup. Definitely 7th round value. No matter how Cerratio got him...he got him. Bottom line a major plus for Cerrato.

Overall grade - D (below average). Skins have nothing to show for 4 second round picks. Cerrato must take the blame for poor scouting if two picks have insufficient football IQ. He must also take the blame for using a second round pick on Jason Taylor when the player doesn't complement the existing roster. It doesn't do any good if an acquisition just duplicates talent already on the field and the coaches can't get real quality out of using him differently.

Yes, because grading a draft class the year after it was drafted ALWAYS shows the proper results... Let alone grading it in midseason.

You may be right, but give it some time.

Be a little bit more patient. Receivers generally take awhile to groom in the NFL. Some catch on quick, others take years, not weeks, to get comfortable. Relax. Sit back. Enoy the show.

Definitely just a little early to be playing this game.

As of right now the only move that looks good is drafting Chris Horton in the 7th round. Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas, and Fred Taylor, though underwhelming, are rookie receivers; you can never really come into a season expecting them to perform.

I was a big fan of the Jason Taylor trade at the time. In theory it was great for us, filling our perpetual need for a top-flight pass-rusher at the expense of only a second round pick. Can't pin the injury issues on Vinnie though.

The DeAngelo Hall signing was a great move for what we're paying him, and I would be of that opinion even if he didn't get an interception in his first game with us. Who knows if we'll pay him once this contract is up though.

As of now I'll give it a tentative C. Could be as high as an A if we actually get production out of the receivers in future seasons and Taylor stays healthy next season. Could be a D- if Chris Horton is the only real player and the receivers all turn out to be busts.

Honestly, I don't agree with the constant disrespecting of Devin Thomas and Fred Davis. Devin HAS improved and looks to be getting more involved. Fred is in there all the time, although he's usually just blocking. It's tough for any TE to get playing time behind Cooley, let alone a rookie still learning all the ins and outs of the offense.

I think the only way to grade our draft is by potential right now, and I'd give that an A easily. It's way too early to make any judgements... not every player is a walking coach when it comes to football IQ. Some just have to go through it and learn, and it just takes time.

It really is too early but how can we judge Devin Thomas and Fred Davis if they don't get a shot. Personsally I still think Kelly is going to be a great player who'll compliement Santana perfectly. I didn't like the Jason Taylor trade at the time and I still don'tlike it. Too early to judge Cerrato but I do feel better about him then I did after the fiascos that were Adam Archuletta and Brandon Lloyd

What GM this year has drafted more than two players that are contributing right away this year? This is stupid.

Psssst.

Denver's GM Eddie Royal, Spencer Larsen, Peyton Hillis, Ryan Clady, Brett Kern

Atlanta's GM: Matt Ryan, Sam Baker, Curtis Lofton

Tennessee's GM: Chris Johnson, Jason Jones

Arizona's GM: Tim Hightower, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

Rams' GM: Donnie Avery, Chris Long

Seahawks' GM: John Carlson, Lawrence Jackson

Chiefs' GM: Glenn Dorsey, Branden Albert, Brandon Flowers, Brandon Carr

What GM this year has drafted more than two players that are contributing right away this year? This is stupid.

There are rookies contributing left and right in the NFL. You don't even have to go outside of the NFC East in the last couple of years to see rookies who are really helping their teams.

This season, S Kenny Phillips has played a lot for the Giants. DB Thomas has been a pleasant surprise, but overall, this class isn't close to last year's class for NY.

This year, the Cowboys have RB Felix Jones who was in the running for OROY before he hurt his hamstring, CB Jenkins who has started and played well, TE Bennett who scored the winning TD on us last week, CB Scandrick who was a steal for them just like Horton was for us, and RB Choice who is a very good special teams player.

Both of those rookie classes came in ready to play football and to help their teams win.

The Eagles this year have WR DeSean Jackson who has played well, DT Trevor Laws who has fit right in on their DL rotation, and S Quintin Demps who has been a real find for special teams.

Last season, the Giants got immense and immediate help with CB Ross, TE Boss, WR Steve Smith, LS DeOssie, RB Bradshaw and the rest. Those guys stepped in early and often and not only played, but honestly helped that team win.

Last year, Dallas not only got Cleveland's 2008 #1 (Felix Jones) but they got OLB Anthony Spencer, FB Anderson, and K Folk, all who started either all or many games last year.

Last season, the Eagles got almost no production out of their rookie class. Guess what? This year, none of those guys have done anything, again.

What that goes to show you is that when a rookie fails to help ANY in his rookie season... then he probably won't in year two either.

It also shows that when a rookie can play football... then he shows it usually in his first year... like Horton did... and like Thomas and Davis did NOT.

I give Kelly a pass because of his injuries. However, those were well documented before the draft, so I don't know why we used a 2nd rounder on somebody who can't stay on the field.

There are exceptions... but those are rare. The fact that all of our second rounders can't do **** to help the team isn't a very good sign at all.

It doesn't matter. Cerrato has a long track record of failure. He's all but ignored the trenches in the first four or five rounds of the draft forever and we're going to pay the price for it for years to come. He's a league-wide joke. Players and reporters and other GMs laugh when his name comes up. Parcells became the latest of a long line of GMs who fleeced him when he got two high picks for Taylor.

That said, we're clearly stuck with him no matter what so all we can do as Skins fans is hope for the best and that he does a good job from here on out.

Talk Radio keeps knocking the coaching staff for failing to develop the rookie class.

Well the start of the problem is listening to Talk Radio. Who is your source Steve Czban? Colin Cowherd? Mike Golic?

The Draft: too early to judge. Rookies don't normally play unless disaster strikes. No +/- for Cerrato at this point.

That's about right.

I give him a C. Horton was a good pick, but a lucky one.

2. Thomas (small contribution)

2. Fred Davis (none)

2. Malcolm Kelly (injury all season)

3. Reinhart (good pick, wait to see)

4. Tryon (work in progress)

6. Punter ( never draft a punter ) wasted pick

6. Kareem Moore ( good pick ST contributor)

6. Colt Brennan ( good pick, future starter here, maybe)

7. Chris Horton ( best pick of the draft)

FA

Jason Taylor (done, injured)

Erasmus James (7th for a past 1st round DE, might pan out)

Shaun Alexander (wasting a roster spot, Bring back Marcus Mason)

DeAngelo Hall ( great pick up, future starter here, bye Springs)

I give the FO and Cerrato a C+, if it weren't for the punter pick, they might have gotten a B or B-. 5 contributors out of 12.

I'm not sure how you can judge a draft 12 games into a season...

I'll wait 2 years and then make a judgement

Go back and look at all of Vinny's drafts, back to his San Fran days.

It ain't pretty.

Maybe he'll turn into a great front office guy overnight but I just don't see it.

But like I said, we're stuck with him so all you can do is hope for the best.

I agree that I need 3 seasons before passing judgement on a draft class.

People were shouting "BUST!" at Rocky McIntosh when he couldn't get on the field his rookie year, and now I think we'd mostly agree that he's a big part of our future.

That's why we should be debating the 2005 draft, not 2008.

So here ya go:

1st (9th overall): Carlos Rogers. Not a superstar, but I'm willing to accept this as a perfectly fine pick. We passed on Merriman and Ware because we don't use a 3-4, and we just have to deal with that. The fact is Rogers is turning in a very good year for us, and he's been better than either corner drafted ahead of him (Pacman, Rolle) and there were plenty of 1st round busts after this pick.

1st (25th overall): Jason Campbell. Along with two playoff seasons in 4 years and turning over our roster from the spurrier debacle, this is the main part of Gibbs 2.0's legacy. A lot of people are anti-JC, but not me. He's a good player, and when you see some of the bad quarterbacking in this league you realize the majority of teams would trade their qb situation for ours.

4th: Manny White. Total bust. I know he had some injuries but I don't know what difference his health may have made. Guys like Todd Herremans, Brady Poppinga and Chris Canty were on the board, and they would have been superior picks. Fail.

5th, 6th, 7th: Mancrush McCune, Jared Newberry and Mancrush Nemo. Fail. I don't call them busts since they were late picks, but you hope to at least get developmental projects or special teamers here, and we couldn't do that. To be fair this didn't seem to be a very deep draft, but whatever. Fail.

Chris Cooley, Jason Campbell, Stephon Heyer (undrafted Free agent), LaRon Landry, Sean Taylor, Rocky McIntosh, Montgomery, Carlos Rogers, Chris Horton

I'd say that's OK. Now is he up their with Scott Pioloi? Nope. But, I personally think Vinny is good at the college scouting stuff. What I will agree with you on his Vinny's lack of making sure FA's aquisitions fit in with the football team.

Not only should the FA's pick up be a need pick, but he also should fit in with the scheme of your football team.

I still don't really "get" what this organization see's in Randel-El..They paid him a lot of $ to simply...well not do much.

It doesn't matter. Cerrato has a long track record of failure. He's all but ignored the trenches in the first four or five rounds of the draft forever and we're going to pay the price for it for years to come. He's a league-wide joke. Players and reporters and other GMs laugh when his name comes up. Parcells became the latest of a long line of GMs who fleeced him when he got two high picks for Taylor.

That said, we're clearly stuck with him no matter what so all we can do as Skins fans is hope for the best and that he does a good job from here on out.

Well said:

What got us in this mess of average mediocrity is Cerrato and the FO.

Rather than grade Vinny on the draft....

Lets go back to the ol' changes in philosophy that was spewed all over these forums. Prior to the start of the season Vinny was praised for not trading away draft picks and not going after "big name" FAs. I argued the point that Vinny and the FO has never changed. The FO is in cap hell and couldnt go after the prize bulls in FA. Vinny was praised for trading away our #1 and gathering more picks. Most in here(except I) graded the draft with an A.

Here we are 10 games into the season. Is there a change in the FO philosophy? NO. We went after and signed JT and DH. Gave up draft picks for JT. Who knows if we can even sign DH next season or whether he'll want to stay for a reduced salary.

Our draft was average© at best. I think Chad and Horton will be studs. Im not high on Kelly. He was hurt in college and he's already hurt in the pros. We knew this when we drafted him. Who knows with DT and FD, but the rest are bums.

Until we get away from high price big name FA and start adding youth through the draft were going to continue to have seasons like this or worse. Were already strapped for picks next season. I can only imagine who we'll be stupid enough to go after (Haynesworth?). We have alot of positions to address and a couple of guys we need to re-up. We're so close to the cap yet we have so many team needs to fill(OL,DL,LB,CB).

I grade Cerrato (F).

Really? A grade for the draft class when the season isn't even over? Give me a break. Recievers need time to learn...this has been said fifty million times on this board since the draft. And you think Cerrato didn't consult the coaching staff when it came to releasing Torrance and keeping Tryon? Give me a break. Wait until the end of next year before you judge this draft class.

Archived