Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Maybe it's because I've only ever had bottles of the 60 minute, (haven't tried it on draft),but they're very different IMO. Maybe it's the varieties of hops that they use, but it always seems to have an off flavor.

Hop Devil and Loose Cannon have a delicious, distinctive bite that the 60 minute just doesn't have.

Hop Devil and Heavy Seas Loose Cannon are staples in my kegerator. Since I've only had the DFH 60 minute IPA in bottles, it may not be a fair comparison, as there is nothing as delicious as freshly brewed beer dispensed out of a balanced system.

I'd venture to say if you poured a Hop Devil, or Heavy Seas, and a DFH 60 min IPA, and drank them side by side, you would notice a big difference in taste.....

I don't think the Loose Cannon has much of a bite at all, relative to IPAs of course. It's one hell of a sweet IPA...it tastes fantastic; and next to the Nugget Nectar it's my favorite-smelling beer in the world. But it doesn't pack a hop ***** slap that the SN Torpedo does, for example.

Neither does the 60 minute IPA, although I'd take the Loose Cannon over all of the numbered DFH IPAs. That doesn't mean they aren't high quality. They are, and they are wildly popular due to their accessibility around here. I think a lot of people confuse DFH's popularity with claims of it being the greatest brewery in the land.

It's a lot annoyance that I think some people have towards dogfish head. Think of it like a classic song that gets totally overplayed on the radio. You're always hearing about the 90 Minute IPA, people always ask if you tried it when you bring craft beer up. 90 Minute IPA, 90 Minute IPA, 90 Minute IPA. GOD DAMMIT ALRIGHT ALREADY!

I mean I love you Jim Morrison but can that girl of yours please stop lighting your ****ing fire? I'm sick of hearing about it.

I honestly have no bias towards Dogfish Head, I ignore who made the beer when I grade them. I even gave the Budweiser American Ale a grade that would piss off about 95% of my fellow beer snobs. I don't give a ****, it tastes surprisingly good.

I like Dogfish Head's unique approach to brewing their stuff, always an interesting experience whether I really enjoy one of their beers or simply think it's alright.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Alright...just took a tour of the Allagash Brewery in Portland, Maine. Highly, highly, highly recommended if you are up that way. It was the best brewery tour I've been on. They give you half glassfuls of their beer BEFORE the tour, and everyone was down to Earth. Its just a great little product they are putting together there in a small space.

If you like Belgian beers like me, TRY it! I bought a bottle of the Curieux to take home...its aged in barrels of Jim Bean bourbon.

Their Trappist was amazing....very very rich caramel flavor

I toured the Shipyard brewery too, but it doesn't compare to Allagash. The Pumpkin Ale from Shipyard, and the Stout were my favorites...the IPA didn't appeal to my tastes, but their Summer Ale was very good, kinda like Blue Moon which I love.

Built myself a 6er last night:

Sam Adam's Imperial Stout (a repeat but I like it)

Fuller's London Porter

Dos Equis XX Amber Lager

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (for a change)

BBC Bourbon Barrel Stout (not the Jefferson's Reserve Stout)

With the exception of the Imperial these are all first timers and reviews will follow.

Built myself a 6er last night:

Sam Adam's Imperial Stout (a repeat but I like it)

Fuller's London Porter

Dos Equis XX Amber Lager

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (for a change)

BBC Bourbon Barrel Stout (not the Jefferson's Reserve Stout)

With the exception of the Imperial these are all first timers and reviews will follow.

Fullers London Porter is a nice beer especially real cold

I've never had DFH in a bottle that I can remember. I usually only drink it from the tap at their alehouse and everything I've had there has been really good.

If you're ever around there stop and have a beer or two at their bar, I bet it has something to do with their bottles.

I definitely will. I prefer fresh draft beer.

I don't think the Loose Cannon has much of a bite at all, relative to IPAs of course. It's one hell of a sweet IPA...it tastes fantastic; and next to the Nugget Nectar it's my favorite-smelling beer in the world. But it doesn't pack a hop ***** slap that the SN Torpedo does, for example.

Neither does the 60 minute IPA, although I'd take the Loose Cannon over all of the numbered DFH IPAs. That doesn't mean they aren't high quality. They are, and they are wildly popular due to their accessibility around here. I think a lot of people confuse DFH's popularity with claims of it being the greatest brewery in the land.

True..."bite" may not have been the word that I was looking for. But Loose Cannon, has something that I can't quite put my finger on, that blows the DFH IPA's out of the water. Maybe it is the sweetness, the fact that "the hops don't burn the enamel off your teeth", (the brewers words, not mine), or the smoother mouthfeel .

All I know is that it I like it, a lot.

I love the Torpedo too, but it's not as drinkable as the Loose Cannon. I keep "emergency" beers in the kegerator, (for when the keg blows), and there are a few Torpedo's in there.

I tried Yuengling Black & Tan tonight. It was fantastic.

The first dark beer of any kind I've had. Loved the hint of coffee.

Can't wait to try other dark beers.

I think that people simply don't know what they are missing if they have never had a dark beer; the rich malts, chocolates, coffees, fruits, caramels gotta love them all with the medium and full bodied feel.

Stone Levitation tonight.

Not really my thing. Smell is complex but pretty subdued. Pine, grass, flowers, citrus, dark fruit, apples, toast. Tastes pretty much the same with the hops flavors and toast more upfront. The carbonation kills this for me. It's like a baking soda-vinegar mix. Chipmunk cheeks.

Watery texture just puts me off more. This is a beer where the body kills something good, I don't think I'll be getting this again. However, I do give them credit for making a complex beer that's only 4.4%.

Stone Levitation tonight.

Not really my thing. Smell is complex but pretty subdued. Pine, grass, flowers, citrus, dark fruit, apples, toast. Tastes pretty much the same with the hops flavors and toast more upfront. The carbonation kills this for me. It's like a baking soda-vinegar mix. Chipmunk cheeks.

Watery texture just puts me off more. This is a beer where the body kills something good, I don't think I'll be getting this again. However, I do give them credit for making a complex beer that's only 4.4%.

I was about to pull the trigger on this tonight when I saw it but I decided not to for some reason. Your comments make me glad I didn't. I'd still like to try it though.

I ended up buying some Brooklyn Lager. I thought it was fairly enjoyable.

Sierra_Nevada_Pale_Ale_200.jpg

A-

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Appearance: a nice rustic gold, light pour very slight head that dissipates quickly but the carbonation forces a continual layer. Very clear, but not as light colored as I as expecting. The bottle mentions a yeast layer and other reviews mention a bit of cloudiness, but I noticed none of these things.

Smell: swirled in the glass, noticeable florals, and well pronounced hops, a bit of sweetness with a very light malt. This is a very good smelling brew that stings the nostrils slightly, a well balanced aroma with little to no astringency.

Taste: mild bitterness from beginning to end, but nothing offensive. You can taste the hops flowery taste, but the bitterness is about the only consistent taste. The taste is not overly complex, but still enough to keep your tongue working throughout each mouthful.

Mouthfeel: light bodied dry brew that leaves your mouth very clean and dry. The carbonation is apparent, but it's not so heavy that you end up with puffy cheeks when rolling the brew on your tongue. The feel is quite refreshing, with no alcohol burn.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, not a heavy brew, refreshing. I could imagine drinking this around a campfire or while watching a football game.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

Just popped open a Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' ale.

Great hoppy taste. Reminds me of Sierra Nevada. I'm trying to taste more west coast beers and this one's a great start. Very good pale ale flavor.

The West is the best, my friend. When I make it back for my next family visit I'll bring some stuff that you can't get out there. Maybe we can do a craft beer UFC night.

Just bought by first 6er of Sam Adams Octoberfest for the year!

When you see it on the shelves, you know football season is coming.

I can't wait for Sam's Winter Lager. This year I'll not make the same mistake I made last year. I'm buying a couple of cases of Winter Lager before they stop brewing it for the season. Gotta have some to store for the summer.

Absolutely. I'll be sure to bring 'Bowski some black and tan Dogfish Head.

Half Shelter Pale Ale, half Jolt Cola.

It's a plan. Probably late fall/early winter with everything subject to change.

If I get tickets to the winter classic I'll hit DC before or after.

Picked up a mixed 12 pack of Mendicino beers for 13.99. The only one these I have seen in the stores is the Red Tail Ale. The IPA is average, the Red Tail Ale is so so, but the stout, I actually dumped it out. It had a very heavy smoke flavor with a hint of bacon. Overall I would never buy any of their beers ever again. For 20 cents less I could get a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and not have a thing to complain about.

Edited by GoSkins561