Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Bought a six of Shiner Bock last night, because it was literally the only "craft" brew in this little beer store that I've never had. I don't recommend it. It was easy drinking and had a faint roasty note to it, but I still regret getting it. Good thing I nabbed another 4 pack of Midas Touch :)

It was like drinking flat soda and washing it down with holy water.

Finally found a Southern Tier, this will be the first one I've ever had. This is the only one they had at the store. I know, I know, I'm aware they make tons of good beer.

Southern Tier IPA

609ipa.jpg

Can smell this beer while pouring it, very strong aroma. Spongy white head, mostly clear orange-amber. Aroma is bananas, key lime, strawberries, grapefruit...biscuity malt...Friggen' nice.

Taste is in the grapefruit realm. Bitterness is the only thing present at its peak. The sweetness of grapefruit emerges slowly through the bitterness, there's a note of pine when everything settles down. The undertone of biscuit is nice when you search for it.

This is a tasty straight-up IPA. Smells great, but the simplicity and overall subtle nature of the taste is quite surprising. It's good, but not incredible.

B (85)

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I just discovered a Belgian ale by the name of "Palm" this weekend. It's excellent. From the label it's been produced since the late 1700's. The Belgians just know how to brew beer.

Also, I just found that Sierra Nevada makes a Porter. Who knew? It's smooth as can be.

On a related note I went in to a new wine store to the West Coast called "Total Wine" and discovered they have a "build your own" six pack of beer deal. I'm an instant fan. You can load up on some wondeful imports and discover some great tastes.

Edited by deejaydana

I know this beer has been discussed a bunch of times in here...thought I'd give it a shake:

Flying Dog Raging ***** Belgian-Style IPA

small.jpg

Beautiful glowing dark amber with a yellowish-white head. Soapy head that leaves a nice lacing. Aroma is one of the most unique I've come across. Tons of lemon pepper, zesty oranges, yeasty malts. Floral hops are easier to find after a few consecutive sniffs; the spice in this is dominating. A lot like a Saison.

Ah, the hops come to life in the taste. Mildly bitter floral hops combined with lemon pepper, seasoned salt, lime and a touch of orange. Yeasty malt backbone and an almost-chewy body on this sucker. Alcohol warms on the way down as if it were the "spice" of the brew just continuing its work down the pie hole. That's just awesome.

It obvious why some craft beer addicts don't gravitate towards this stuff. It's way off the beaten path, some would even say it's flawed. But I say that I'm in this hobby to search for beer that is unique, and I certainly appreciate the combination they put together here.

B+ (89)

And what the hell...

Guinness Extra Stout

4456.jpg

Black with a small brown tinge. Yellowish-tan head that stays strong. Roasted aroma, I'm also getting some hops, hm! However, the smell isn't very strong at all.

Waterfall of roasted malt hits the taste buds with some dark chocolate and a nice touch of citrus hops. Roasted malt continues through the aftertaste. Leaves a dry feeling on the palate afterward. To my surprise, this beer is lightly-bodied for a stout, and has a questionable amount of carbonation.

This beer is enjoyable for the sheer amount of roasted malt it has in the taste. If you ask me, wouldn't label this an "Extra Stout" as much as I'd label it an "Extra Roasted Malt Beverage." Hell, you could describe the malt as being somewhat burnt. However, I've experienced roasted malts more powerful and tastier, all while having other flavors backing those stouts up. I don't think this is as much of a starter-stout as it is an introduction to the flavor of the roasted malt. I might catch some **** for this (hell, last year I'd yell at myself for this grade)...

C+ (78)

Great Lakes Brewing is making a DIPA as an F-U to Lebron James. :ols: Hopefully Heavy Seas takes a cue from this and makes an Imperial Fat Ass Stout in answer to Albert Haynesworth.

http://www.aolnews.com/money/article/cleveland-businesses-turn-lebron-james-fury-into-cash/19549261?icid=main|aim|dl1|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fmoney%2Farticle%2Fcleveland-businesses-turn-lebron-james-fury-into-cash%2F19549261

From article:

(July 10) -- When LeBron James finally announced he was leaving Cleveland for Miami, many Cavalier fans were furious.

Now, some businesses in Cleveland are trying to turn that anger into money. And there's plenty of rage to go around.

In McNulty's Bier Markt in Ohio City, handing over a LeBron jersey got you a free beer Friday night, according to The Cleveland Plain Dealer. The bartenders shredded the jerseys on the spot with a pair of garden shears.

At Medina's Nifty Nerd computer services company, a LeBron jersey gets you a $23 credit for services. Owner Anton Gorkavchuk says he may send the shirts overseas "to people who don't know how badly he betrayed us." The Great Lakes Brewing Co., a Cleveland brewery, soon plans to put out a special bitter ale in honor of James --- called Quitness.

Finally found a Southern Tier, this will be the first one I've ever had. This is the only one they had at the store. I know, I know, I'm aware they make tons of good beer.

Just had their "Hoppe" and "Unearthy" last night. Both IPAs. Didn't like the Hoppe. Unearthy is pretty good. I'm go9ing to try the oaked version tonight.

If you ever see their "Chokolat" Buy as many as you can. It is fantastic.

Just got done with some framing in my brother's basement. So naturally it's time for a cold one or 3. Squatters American Wheat Hefeweizen to be exact. Not bad. May go for the Polygamy Porter next,(gotta love some of these names for the local micro brews).

Just had their "Hoppe" and "Unearthy" last night. Both IPAs. Didn't like the Hoppe. Unearthy is pretty good. I'm go9ing to try the oaked version tonight.

If you ever see their "Chokolat" Buy as many as you can. It is fantastic.

Yeah you mentioned this a while back, I haven't forgotten. Wonder if anybody around here can point me to a place that carries this stuff...

I had a conversation with a guy at the store I bought the IPA at and he mentioned the Unearthly being unbelievable. Also said the Pumking is off the charts. In the hunt for those three.

Palm is good, if you want to check out some good belgian beers try Chimay Blue or either Delirium Nocturnum or Tremens (it is the ones with the pink elephants on it) You can find all three at either total wine or Wegmans, which has the best beer selection IMO

I just discovered a Belgian ale by the name of "Palm" this weekend. It's excellent. From the label it's been produced since the late 1700's. The Belgians just know how to brew beer.

Also, I just found that Sierra Nevada makes a Porter. Who knew? It's smooth as can be.

On a related note I went in to a new wine store to the West Coast called "Total Wine" and discovered they have a "build your own" six pack of beer deal. I'm an instant fan. You can load up on some wondeful imports and discover some great tastes.

Got a Duvel Gift Box today...4 Duvel Belgians and their tulip glass for $20 altogether...not too terrible. Love the glass, about to see what the beer is like...heard a lot of good things about this stuff and that the head is ridiculous.

Duvel Belgian Strong Ale

AAAACzV77h8AAAAAAFbrpw.jpg

Unbelievable look to this beer. The head is absolutely gigantic and chunky bright white. Some of it looks like whipped cream. If it wasn't for the hazy dark yellow color this would look like a root beer float. Also, a powerful stream of bubbles are rushing up from the very center of the beer, not anywhere else. Really cool looking.

Aroma is chardonnay, sour apple, bitter citrus and a hint of wine. Can't say this is the most scrumptious smelling brew around, but it isn't bad.

Taste is a sharp, crisp, non-bitter citrus with a perfect biscuity malt backbone. Also a subtle touch of spice. Alcohol has strong warming effect. Body is pretty slender, carbonation is obviously way up there, but drinkability is still nice and high. In fact, it tastes better taking large sips than it does taking regular ones.

The only way I can sum up this beer is that it's all over the place. It comes at you at an odd angle whether it's in the appearance, aroma or taste. The entire process of drinking this beer is fun, definitely worth checking out.

A- (91)

I just want to say the Duvel tulip glass is really just perfect for IPAs. I had a Loose Canon in it today and it was the ultimate compliment to the beer.

Dogfish Head Squall IPA

hdh67_dogfishheadsquall.JPG

Hazy copper, not much of a head. Aroma is a dank mix of citrus fruits, whipped cream and pound cake. It actually smells eerily similar to a strawberry short cake.

Oh my god, this beer is delicious. The amount of creamy, buttered-biscuity malt is apparent right away. The bitterness is not the star of this brew, however it's the perfect role player. It's a sophisticated mixture of citrus and non-citrus fruits. Extremely, extremely refreshing for an IPA. Carbonation is low but good enough; the body is a bit below average. Alcohol gives a soft radiant warmth long after the initial taste.

This beer is distinctively tasty. A tweak here and there could make this an easy A+, but this puppy sure is going to be a common summer brew in this household.

A (94)