Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

If you have never had Old Chub you need to visit your local B&W store and pick up a 6 pack. One of these 12 oz beauties will give anyone a healthy buzz, drink all 6 and you most certainly are going to need some Tylenol the next morning.

I love Oskar Blues Brewery most of thier brews are really good. For you pale ale fans try Dale's Pale Ale it is a great hoppy beer with the perfect malt balance. Mamas Lillte Yella Pils is a great Pilsner (I typically hate Pilsners) but this one is great on a hot day by the pool. Old Chub is very good as well I prefer it in the fall but it is a great brown ale. The only one I didnt enjoy too much was the Old Gubna which is a melt your face IPA (in terms of hops). They are also one of the few craft brews that only uses cans for their beer.

Here is one for you. Its called Old Engine Oil and its supprisingly delicous. Looks and smells Like a Dark Thick Stout but tastes oh so nice its not heavy and has allot of dark chocolate aroma and taste to it.

If your an avid beer drinker such as me this is one you need to try...

img_1149.jpg

Other Beer favorites of mine:

New Belgium - Fat Tire & 1554**

Breckenridge - Vanilla Porter** & Oatmeal Stout

Sam Adams - Winterfest & Octoberfest

Samuel Smith - Oatmeal Stout

Dog Fishead - Raison D'Etre

Rogue - Dead Guy & Mocha Porter

Murphy's - Irish Stout

Gordon Biersch - Marzen**

** Top Favorites

To commemorate Lebron James leaving the Cavaliers, the Great Lakes Brewing Company out of Cleveland (which makes a fine family of beers available regionally there BTW) introduced "Quitness" - a dry hopped IPA "that will leave a bitter taste in your mouth" at their downtown brew pub.

It sold out in a few hours. They plan to brew more.

Quitness.jpg

Quitnesslabel.jpg

I want to go to a store with a very good selection of craft bottles some time within this week. There's a Total Wine off of Seven Locks Rd...but I remember some of you mentioning a place in Frederick and I think it was also a Total Wine. Maybe I'm wrong. Any suggestions as to places I should check out within the viscinity of Montgomery County? I'm willing to travel a little out of my way.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I want to go to a store with a very good selection of craft bottles some time within this week. There's a Total Wine off of Seven Locks Rd...but I remember some of you mentioning a place in Frederick and I think it was also a Total Wine. Maybe I'm wrong. Any suggestions as to places I should check out within the viscinity of Montgomery County? I'm willing to travel a little out of my way.

My brother gets a bunch of his stuff from Total Wine.

Victory Golden Monkey Tripel Ale

Hazy golden with a soapy white head. Aroma is Captain Crunch in lukewarm milk, a mandarin orange and a one-day-stale vanilla birthday cake.

Taste is honey under a citrusy bite; a punch of candy sweetness to it. Strong spicy undertone to all of this. This beer is right around full bodied, works awesomely. Carbonation is up there man, it brings out the spice of this brew real well. Alcohol gives one hell of a warming effect for 9% alcohol.

I love full bodied beers that deliver with taste. It's my idea of what a brew should be. And would you look at that, this beer is full bodied and tastes really good, but I have some minor gripes with it. I could go with a little less spice, I don't like smelling this beer while taking a sip, and it doesn't look like a great beer (although the head settles in to a sweet lookin' layer). Like I said, minor gripes.

A- (90)

-------------------------------------------

Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale

Dark brown, small tan head. Chocolate, brown sugar, caramel, coffee and roasted malts on the nose. A touch of dark fruit as well. Nice and damp aroma.

Taste is a fairly bitter, splashy feel of chocolate latte'. A current of alcohol warmth present. Description on the label says caramalized brown sugar, but I'm getting a lot more chocolate here. Hops are citrus and are well balanced with the malt. Body is maybe a touch below medium, carbo is a touch above medium.

I'm really diggin' the chocolate flavor, but I wish this brew had a little more muscle. Aftertaste is a little dry and papery, but this is still a tasty treat. Sampled it with six other DFH brews at their Alehouse, and this got drowned-out by the flavor of a couple of the others. This is still a beer worth trying.

B (87)

The Great Pumpkin Ale is being brewed next week. :)

:beavisnbutthead:

It was nice to meet you last week. I'm looking forward to partying with you at the ES/RR tailgates.

I'm hoping to squeeze in one more tour, before the brewery expansion.

At the Beer & BBQ fest last year, they had "The Great Pumpkin Ale" that was brewed in oak casks that were previously used to distill bourbon.

I'm not a big fan of pumpkin ales, but that one kicked some serious ass.

I might even pick up a bomber, or two.

The Smoke on the Water was very good

Edited by Skinsfan1311

Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Greatest beer ever. It's a shame that it's a seasonal brew. Luckily for me, it's available during football season! :drooley:

I agree, very tasty

BTW, has anyone here tried Firefly? I'm curious because I'm thinking about buying a bottle, and I don't wanna spend 25-30$ if it's not worth it.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

:beavisnbutthead:

It was nice to meet you last week. I'm looking forward to partying with you at the ES/RR tailgates.

You too. :cheers:

I'm hoping to squeeze in one more tour, before the brewery expansion.

At the Beer & BBQ fest last year, they had "The Great Pumpkin Ale" that was brewed in oak casks that were previously used to distill bourbon.

Well, we only have tours on the 31st and then none in September, so you have to go in two weeks.

As for the bourbon - we're aging Loose Cannon, Peg Leg, and Hang Ten right now. The Cannon is good, but the Hang Ten is liquid candy. Outstanding. They will only be put in firkins, though.

Well, we only have tours on the 31st and then none in September, so you have to go in two weeks.

As for the bourbon - we're aging Loose Cannon, Peg Leg, and Hang Ten right now. The Cannon is good, but the Hang Ten is liquid candy. Outstanding. They will only be put in firkins, though.

Damn!

Can't make the 31st:mad:

Hopefully they'll have a firkin, or two, of the Hang Ten at the bacon event in September. They had several firkins of different beers at the last one.

I'm almost out of the Hop Devil, and Loose Cannon is the next keg in the rotation.

I'll have to get my liquor store to see if his distributor can hook me up with an oak aged keg of the Loose Cannon.

The only oak aged IPA that I've had is Stone's Arrogant ****. If the oak aging has the same affect on the Loose Cannon, then it should be very, very good.

Damn!

Can't make the 31st:mad:

Hopefully they'll have a firkin, or two, of the Hang Ten at the bacon event in September. They had several firkins of different beers at the last one.

I'm almost out of the Hop Devil, and Loose Cannon is the next keg in the rotation.

I'll have to get my liquor store to see if his distributor can hook me up with an oak aged keg of the Loose Cannon.

The only oak aged IPA that I've had is Stone's Arrogant ****. If the oak aging has the same affect on the Loose Cannon, then it should be very, very good.

I wouldn't call Arrogant **** an IPA. Probably falls under the general term "American Strong".

I wouldn't call Arrogant **** an IPA. Probably falls under the general term "American Strong".

True.

It's probably one of those brews that can be filed in the "none of the above" category.

I wasn't sure what to call it.

I do know that the oaked version kicked ass. I also know that, at a cost of $19.00 a six-pack, that I'll probably never buy it again.

Bought a six of Shiner Bock last night, because it was literally the only "craft" brew in this little beer store that I've never had. I don't recommend it. It was easy drinking and had a faint roasty note to it, but I still regret getting it. Good thing I nabbed another 4 pack of Midas Touch :)

It was like drinking flat soda and washing it down with holy water.

Well Shiner bock is not really a craft beer, to be fair it does beat most domestic production ones at the price level.

Their Bohemian Black and Shiner Cheer would qualify

Well Shiner bock is not really a craft beer, to be fair it does beat most domestic production ones at the price level.

Their Bohemian Black and Shiner Cheer would qualify

You're probably right, American Darks aren't very crafty brews. :yes:

For my money, I'll spend another dollar to get a 6 of almost anything Sam Adams over that stuff.

True.

It's probably one of those brews that can be filed in the "none of the above" category.

I wasn't sure what to call it.

I do know that the oaked version kicked ass. I also know that, at a cost of $19.00 a six-pack, that I'll probably never buy it again.

I don't blame you. Out here I don't even see them in 6-packs. It's $4 for a 22oz down the street. Oaked is a little more. I think you guys get gauged pretty good by your distributes. Stone is it's own distributor out here as well as distributing for a Port/Lost Abbey, Ale Smith, Russian River, and a bunch of other great breweries.

I don't blame you. Out here I don't even see them in 6-packs. It's $4 for a 22oz down the street. Oaked is a little more. I think you guys get gauged pretty good by your distributes. Stone is it's own distributor out here as well as distributing for a Port/Lost Abbey, Ale Smith, Russian River, and a bunch of other great breweries.

That makes sense.

It also explains why the Stone bombers are so cheap in CA.

We go to S.Lake Tahoe every January/February and the beer selection at the grocery store, (Raley's), rivals that of some liquor stores here in MD.

I'm guessing that Sierra Nevada distributes their own beer as well, because the selections, and pricing, in CA are pretty good too.