Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

I've only just really gotten into beer, being a youngster and all.

So far I really like Yuengling traditional.

I've never had dark beer of any sort, but I'm very interested in the idea.

What's a decent dark beer that's pretty easy to find?

I'm also wanting to try Newcastle, anyone got a strong opinion on it?

I've never had Newcastle because it's in clear bottles. That's a red flag right away, as sunlight can really effect the quality of taste. Brown bottles and cans are the best way to package beer, the stuff in clear bottles (Newcastle, Miller High Life) is just a marketing ploy. They sacrifice all preservation to show you the color of the beer.

I digress...there are different styles of "dark beer", from Black & Tans to Imperial Stouts. Guinness has two common beers called the Draught and Extra Stout. I dislike the Draught because it has a dry (flat) feel to it. The Extra Stout is very roasty, think burnt marshmellows.

Since you're just starting out, perhaps just go with the Yuengling Black & Tan right now. It's half of their Traditional Lager mixed with half of their Porter. For the price it's excellent.

If you're still tempted to get the Newcastle, I'll just tell you now that it's a Brown Ale and Dogfish Head makes one hell of a tasty Brown Ale. You'll have to throw down about $10 for a six pack but it's about 7% in alcohol and tastes like Caramello candy bars. It's their "Indian Brown Ale" and it's sold all over the place around D.C. If you get the Newcastle let me know how it is!

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I've never had Newcastle because it's in clear bottles. That's a red flag right away, as sunlight can really effect the quality of taste. Brown bottles and cans are the best way to package beer, the stuff in clear bottles (Newcastle, Miller High Life) is just a marketing ploy. They sacrifice all preservation to show you the color of the beer.

Newcastle also puts their beer in cans. Just remember to always pour into a glass for the full beer drinking experience.

..and Guinness isn't flat, it is perfectly carbonated by nitro instead of being overly soda-like carbonated like the beers Double likes:silly:

It took me a long time to start loving dark beers. I always associated the taste with coffe, and I don't like coffee. Then on a tour of Stone they passed aroud the different malts and I got to try a bunch in succesion. When I ate the roasted malts used in dark beers I started to disassociate the taste of raosted with the taste of coffee.

Anywho, if you are very anti-coffee I suggest trying the "lighter" dark beers. Heineken dark and Becks dark were a couple I liked before I really got into beer. If you are a coffee drinker then you are used to raosted flavors. Just dive right into the good stuff.

It took me a long time to start loving dark beers. I always associated the taste with coffe, and I don't like coffee. Then on a tour of Stone they passed aroud the different malts and I got to try a bunch in succesion. When I ate the roasted malts used in dark beers I started to disassociate the taste of raosted with the taste of coffee.

Anywho, if you are very anti-coffee I suggest trying the "lighter" dark beers. Heineken dark and Becks dark were a couple I liked before I really got into beer. If you are a coffee drinker then you are used to raosted flavors. Just dive right into the good stuff.

I'm actually a pretty big coffee fan. So I might just, as you say, dive right in.

I'm also very interested in Black & Tan. I've heard lots of good things about it. I'll probably check that out some time next week.

I also tried Blue Moon for the first time last night. I've never had something that different before. I liked it alright, but I feel like it's something I gotta be in a mood for.

I've only just really gotten into beer, being a youngster and all.

So far I really like Yuengling traditional.

I've never had dark beer of any sort, but I'm very interested in the idea.

What's a decent dark beer that's pretty easy to find?

I'm also wanting to try Newcastle, anyone got a strong opinion on it?

Newcastle is a good brew about on par with Sam Adam's Boston Lager...get them on tap if you can (avoids the clear bottles).

Guinness draught dry, light bodied feel without the ripping hops of the Extra Stout.

Smithwicks is a good dark(er) ale with a smooth flavor easily handled by those new to dark brews.

If you're going to get into dark brews you have to start playing with the stouts, if you do you will have entered a whole new world of flavors you never thought possible in a brew...say good bye to the yellow water. I suggest a reading through this thread, and a tour of beeradvocate.com.

I picked up a Sam Adams Harvest Collection last night. It's a twelver with six different beers:

Octoberfest

Irish Red

Dunkelweizen

Black Lager

Harvest Pumpkin Ale (new)

and of course, Boston Lager

11df1a19.jpg

I've had all of these before except the Pumpkin and the Dunkelweizen. The Octoberfest is probably Sam Adams most popular seasonal beer, people go crazy over it and I think it's good but personally, I prefer the Winter Lager over it.

I popped open the Pumpkin Ale first because I wanted to see how it stacked up to my favorite pumpkin ale, Buffalo Bill's:

803f19dd.jpg

(which is already on the shelves BTW)

The Sam Pumpkin Ale was very comparable to the Buffalo Bill's. It has a rich, spicy flavor similar to what I like so much about the winter lager, and the pumpkin is very noticeable. It almost tastes like pumpkin pie. :cloud9:

The Dunkelweizen was next, it tasted very similar to Allagash White, a Belgian Wheat style beer. I was a little surprised because I usually equate Belgian Wheats with spring/summer. Either way I wasn't disappointed, the beer was delicious, it had that wheat flavor that's refreshing on a hot day. I checked Sam Adams web site and saw that it is indeed made of Bavarian Wheat which is pretty close.

I'll review the Irish Red, Black Lager sometime tonight when I get to them...I'm guessing everyone's had Boston Lager and Octoberfest :silly:

*Note: the Sam Adams pic is mine, the Buffalo Bills' came from google image

Picked up a 6er of DFH 60 Minute, Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA, 6 Peroni :), and 4 DFH 90 Minutes.

Currently sipping the 90 Minute, what a great beer, now I know why they sell it in 4 Packs. It's very good but far from being a "session beer". Very very tasty. A very solid A.

Picked up a 6er of DFH 60 Minute, Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA, 6 Peroni :), and 4 DFH 90 Minutes.

Currently sipping the 90 Minute, what a great beer, now I know why they sell it in 4 Packs. It's very good but far from being a "session beer". Very very tasty. A very solid A.

They also make DFH 120. :D

Newcastle also puts their beer in cans. Just remember to always pour into a glass for the full beer drinking experience.

Never seen Newcastle cans! Their mini-kegs are in most stores around here though.

..and Guinness isn't flat, it is perfectly carbonated by nitro instead of being overly soda-like carbonated like the beers Double likes:silly:

'Bowski has a point. From what I've heard of the Guinness Draught, I think I'm able to suggest other beverages, such as:

Ground-down construction paper in water

Diet Pepsi left open for 5 days

Dumpster stir fry

McDonald's oven residue

Freshly squeezed orangutan milk

Pencil dust with a dash of coriander

Penis dust with a dash of coriander

Pancreas dust with a dash of coriander

Boddington's Pub Ale

;)

I keep biting my tongue on something that you guys aren't going to like. That ends now.

Dog Fish Head is overrated

There. I said it. I can't even remember if there is a beer they have that I like. I've had the 60, 90, 120, World Wide Stout... Maybe a couple others. Maybe not. If I did they weren't memorable.

Maybe it's just my West coast pallet.

I do LOVE the Stone, DFH, Victory collaboration Saison De Buff. One of my favorites.

You can put the 90 or 60 minute next to a pretty much any above average Micro 6 pack and it holds it's own. In my neck of the woods a 4 pack of 120 is 7.99, so is a 6er of the 60 minute. Compare that to paying 6.99 for any 6 pack of Sam Adams and it's a steal. The 90 minute is a great beer and certainly deserves the reviews it receives on any of the beer review web sites.

I think certain Dogfish Head beers are overrated, particularly the Red & White, Raison D Etre' and 60 Minute IPA (which I think is tasty but not incredible)

But I love the Palo Santo Marron and Midas Touch. Midas Touch is just incredibly tasty if you age it for a year. I gave the 120 and 90 low A's. The Chicory Stout and Squall IPA are both very tasty.

For me, all Dogfish Head beers I've rated have been in the mid-A to mid-B range. I didn't rate the Shelter Pale Ale or Festina Penche, but they'd both get a lower grade than a B. The Shelter might be sniffing D range.

Anyway, had me one of these last night...I give it a solid A (95/100):

Lagunitas+IPA+%281%29.JPG

Yeah, the beer snobbery is currently over the top in a once harmonious thread. :ols:

Dog Fish Head is certainly not over rated, especially if we are talking reasonably priced brews.

Have you ever been to the DFH Alehouse over in Falls Church? They have a ton of beers that you can't get at the store and the food is really good for the price too. I highly recommend it.

I think certain Dogfish Head beers are overrated, particularly the Red & White, Raison D Etre' and 60 Minute IPA (which I think is tasty but not incredible)

But I love the Palo Santo Marron and Midas Touch. Midas Touch is just incredibly tasty if you age it for a year. I gave the 120 and 90 low A's. The Chicory Stout and Squall IPA are both very tasty.

For me, all Dogfish Head beers I've rated have been in the mid-A to mid-B range. I didn't rate the Shelter Pale Ale or Festina Penche, but they'd both get a lower grade than a B. The Shelter might be sniffing D range.

Midas touch sounds real familiar. I'd guess I've had it but can't comment in it. I'll look out for the Palo Santo Marron

I keep biting my tongue on something that you guys aren't going to like. That ends now.

Dog Fish Head is overrated

There. I said it. I can't even remember if there is a beer they have that I like. I've had the 60, 90, 120, World Wide Stout... Maybe a couple others. Maybe not. If I did they weren't memorable.

Maybe it's just my West coast pallet.

I do LOVE the Stone, DFH, Victory collaboration Saison De Buff. One of my favorites.

Agreed.

They're okay, if you can find them on sale.

The 60 & 90 have an off flavor that I can't put my finger on. Maybe it's the style hops that they use??

The 120 is just plain bad, and a complete rip-off.

Don't get me wrong, people like what they like, and that's okay, but Dogfish beers aren't for me.

I prefer the bite of Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Victory Hop Devil or Heavy Seas's Loose Cannon.

To each his own......

I'm currently trying to decide which of my brews will pair best with some blackened Mako and Tile Fish tacos.

If it's really spicy?

Probably the Racer.

If not, do a couple of Peroni's.

When I was a kid,, (we lived in Naples Italy), we considered Peroni piss-water. Back then,(late 70's/early 80's), Peroni and Nastro Azzuro were different beers.

It was ubiquitious and dirt-cheap, (around $2.00 - $3.00 a six-pack), and what we would buy if we didn't have enough money for Beck's or Lowenbrau.

We used to call Nastro Azzuro, "Nasty Assuro"

Now that I'm older, and wiser(?), I've found that Peroni is actually decent beer. It's light and refreshing........

I got the Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA last night to sit down and rate it. I gave it a 91/100, which is definitely a better grade than I anticipated giving it. Like how the bitterness isn't as upfront as it is gradual. The peak of the hops hits about 3 seconds after the sip. Also has a very good finish when the malt starts to balance out. Frothy body and your typical citrus IPA aroma. It's good stuff.

It's pumpkin Beer time Love this time of year pumpkin beers ,oktoberfest beer

just picked up Southern Tier Pumking Love this stuff get it every year

If you find it grab it it is very popular and they did not ship out a lot this year.

If you have a good recommendation for a pumpkin beer list here or PM me.

Edited by FLRedskins
bad spelling

Yeah it is spicy, I'm thinking the Racer or the 60 Minute. I made a mango corn salsa and sliced up some avocado so I need something bitter.

I think the 60 Minute is very similar to the Hop Devil and the Heavy Seas.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Maybe it's because I've only ever had bottles of the 60 minute, (haven't tried it on draft),but they're very different IMO. Maybe it's the varieties of hops that they use, but it always seems to have an off flavor.

Hop Devil and Loose Cannon have a delicious, distinctive bite that the 60 minute just doesn't have.

Hop Devil and Heavy Seas Loose Cannon are staples in my kegerator. Since I've only had the DFH 60 minute IPA in bottles, it may not be a fair comparison, as there is nothing as delicious as freshly brewed beer dispensed out of a balanced system.

I'd venture to say if you poured a Hop Devil, or Heavy Seas, and a DFH 60 min IPA, and drank them side by side, you would notice a big difference in taste.....

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Maybe it's because I've only ever had bottles of the 60 minute, (haven't tried it on draft),but they're very different IMO. Maybe it's the varieties of hops that they use, but it always seems to have an off flavor.

Hop Devil and Loose Cannon have a delicious, distinctive bite that the 60 minute just doesn't have.

Hop Devil and Heavy Seas Loose Cannon are staples in my kegerator. Since I've only had the DFH 60 minute IPA in bottles, it may not be a fair comparison, as there is nothing as delicious as freshly brewed beer dispensed out of a balanced system.

I'd venture to say if you poured a Hop Devil, or Heavy Seas, and a DFH 60 min IPA, and drank them side by side, you would notice a big difference in taste.....

I've never had DFH in a bottle that I can remember. I usually only drink it from the tap at their alehouse and everything I've had there has been really good.

If you're ever around there stop and have a beer or two at their bar, I bet it has something to do with their bottles.