Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

I was pleasantly surprised by the Hazel Brown. I wasn't sure about hazelnut flavoring in beer, but damned if it didn't work. It wouldn't be a regular drink for me, but I would be glad to sample it a time or two over the course of an autumn.

I'm not a huge fan of the Hazel Brown. Little too much hazlenut in there for me.

I agree with greenspandan about the Harvest Pumpkin, very disappointing. Still need to try their new pumpkin one Fat Jack.

I'm not a huge fan of the Hazel Brown. Little too much hazlenut in there for me.

I agree with greenspandan about the Harvest Pumpkin, very disappointing. Still need to try their new pumpkin one Fat Jack.

Boy they really struck out with you...to much hazelnut, not enough pumpkin! :ols:

I'll keep an eye out for the Fat Jack. Haven't seen it around here...

Sam-Adams-Fat-Jack-570x466.jpg

I'm really torn between these two beers, Pumking has the nice spice, and is well balanced, and has this pumpkin seed taste that makes it super yummy.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYNeWN8v37-lVZtMQ67Ggcm__P3UjWxZnKJzZm2vhxXQRMo0_cUA

Schalflay has this velvety smoothness to it, and tastes exactly like pumpkin pie.

schlafly-pumpkin-ale.no-link%20thumb.jpg

If you see either of these, and are into the pumpkin brews, grab them.

I am keeping my eyes open for Heavy Seas GreatER Pumpkin which is an oak aged version of their Great Pumpkin.

Edited by GoSkins561

Personally, I think the Pumking is like liquid pumpkin pie, and the Schlafly is more about and overload of pumpkin pie spices. Almost has a "hot" feel it's so spicy, it goes beyond pumpkin pie. Still prefer the Pumking.

I remember the Great'er had a rum-like theme to it, much more boozy than the Great Pumpkin.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Haven't had the Evolution, but thanks for reminding me about it, been eying it for a while. As far as recommending IPAs, that's like asking to recommend a good pizza. Faves off the top of my head are the Sierra Nevada Hoptimum, Stone IPA (Ruination is good too), Lagunitas IPA. Sierra Nevada's hoppy ales are pretty much sure bets, and they have a lot of 'em. The Sierra Nevada Torpedo is at all 3 stores we talked about, and it's actually straight up incredible. You might find the Bear Republic Racer 5 at the other two stores. Do you like Imperial IPAs? They're tied with American Strong Ales as my favorite style of beer.

To be quite honest, I dont know if I've ever had an Imperial IP haha. And i'll definitely have to pick up Sierra Nevade Torpedo on my next run.

To be quite honest, I dont know if I've ever had an Imperial IP haha. And i'll definitely have to pick up Sierra Nevade Torpedo on my next run.

Be careful when you start your IPA journey. Initially they can seem way bitter and over-hopped. You have to recall you're getting advice from experienced IPA drinkers (and some real hop-heads in this thread). Having said that I agree with all the suggestions Double gave you. Another class of IPAs to consider are the British IPAs they are generally not as aggressively hopped as their American counterparts. Start with the Brits than move onto the American IPAs if you like the flavor profile. Samuel Smith Old Brewery Pale Ale might be a good choice if you find it.

Headed to the Pyrates, Pigs & Pints, (Bacon & Beer!), today at the Heavy Seas brewery. They'll have 10+ beers on tap and some firkins brewed especially for the event. They typically have a pumpkin ale that is not available for sale. While not a big fan of the style, last year Steve, the undisputed firkin king, brewed a pumpkin ale in bourbon casks that was phenomonal. I'm hoping for something similiar today.

I almost bought some heavy seas marzen but decided to hold out for dogtoberfest.

Is dogfish head pumpkin ale worth it for 9.99 a four pack?

The DFH Indian Brown Ale is a much better beer to have in the fall than the Punkin Ale, but I don't like the Punkin Ale. There are definitely those that like it, but I'd spend that $10 on something else.

I definitely will. Ever had evolution #3 ipa? Almost picked some up tonight. I'm relatively new to the IPA world. I love loose cannon and ranger. Any other recommendations?

Evolution Lot No. 3 IPA

Crap the carbonation is crazy, there's a tornado of bubbles in the center of the tulip glass. Sweet grapefruits and pine wrap up the hop flavor, bitterness is comfortably above average, malt is a very subtle backbone of caramel. The body is actually pretty stellar. It's so hard to tell there's actually liquid in your mouth. So soft it seems like it defies gravity. Wonderfully drinkable, high bitterness, pretty typical flavor scheme, but a quality IPA.

lot3.jpg

I almost bought some heavy seas marzen but decided to hold out for dogtoberfest.

Is dogfish head pumpkin ale worth it for 9.99 a four pack?

What double said, check out The Fear by Flying Dog, it's a nice brown ale with a hint of pumpkin....I really like it.

If you want pumpkin pie, check out Schlafly

What double said, check out The Fear by Flying Dog, it's a nice brown ale with a hint of pumpkin....I really like it.

If you want pumpkin pie, check out Schlafly

Yea I had The Fear last year and really liked it. Very interesting beer that will set you on your ass. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find it either. I can't find any of the seasonal Flying Dog right now and it was abundant in NoVA and NW DC last year

Edited by Skinz4Life12

Personally, I think the Pumking is like liquid pumpkin pie, and the Schlafly is more about and overload of pumpkin pie spices. Almost has a "hot" feel it's so spicy, it goes beyond pumpkin pie. Still prefer the Pumking.

I remember the Great'er had a rum-like theme to it, much more boozy than the Great Pumpkin.

The Great'er Pumpkin is actually aged in bourbon barrels. It is scheduled to be bottled this coming Friday - look for it in stores about 2 weeks later.

Headed to the Pyrates, Pigs & Pints, (Bacon & Beer!), today at the Heavy Seas brewery. They'll have 10+ beers on tap and some firkins brewed especially for the event. They typically have a pumpkin ale that is not available for sale. While not a big fan of the style, last year Steve, the undisputed firkin king, brewed a pumpkin ale in bourbon casks that was phenomonal. I'm hoping for something similiar today.

Rick, nice to see you again as always. Nice to see Steve getting some props - he's a great guy and ridiculously knowledgable.

Finally found Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA:

our_beers_UJ.png

Awesome! West Coast IPA the hops are amazing. Big mandarin orange/grapefruit aroma with subtle grass and lemon on the nose with a touch of sweet malt in the back. The hop bitterness is pretty assertive upon initial taste but it quickly mellows well with the malts. Also, the carbonation was perfect for the amount of hops used a truly superb West Coast IPA. Highly recommended.

The boston globe ran an article last week about a lot of the good beer in Vermont, it's a good read if you get the chance.

http://www.boston.com/travel/new-england/vermont/2012/09/12/the-best-beer-town-new-england/iM7aAmKovRLiEfeuaQTsoO/story.html

Unfortunately, this meant that a massive number of Bostonians drove up to buy beer all around the state this weekend. I waited 1.5 hours to get my growlers filled at Hill Farmstead on Saturday (Yikes!) and had to call a friend who runs a beer store to reserve some Heady Topper for me.

I still managed to get my hands on (almost) all my favorite brews. I love this state.

Yc81ol.jpg

The Alchemist - Heady Topper

Hill Farmstead - Abner, Edward, Holger Danske, and Everett (not pictured)

Grassroots Brewing - Sankt Hans Amber Saison

Maine Beer Co. - Zoe and Lunch (not pictured)

Yum.

Edited by HBnotBlades

One of my favorite DIPAs it is a hop explosion. I reviewed it earlier in this thread.

Yea, it's delicious. It's definitely my favorite beer, but I have a bit of an emotional attachment to the old Alchemist pub so I'm a bit biased.

If you can ever get your hands on them, the Lawson's Finest Liquids Double Sunshine IPA and the Hill Farmstead Abner and Double Galaxy are definitely in the same elite DIPA company. Tricky to find though.

Yea, it's delicious. It's definitely my favorite beer, but I have a bit of an emotional attachment to the old Alchemist pub so I'm a bit biased.

If you can ever get your hands on them, the Lawson's Finest Liquids Double Sunshine IPA and the Hill Farmstead Abner and Double Galaxy are definitely in the same elite DIPA company. Tricky to find though.

I need to make my way over to Vermont I have only heard great things about Hill Farmstead. I heard they have single hop IPAs which I would love to try. As you point out it is very hard to find these beers outside of Vermont. One day!!

Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest

Real mild toasty nip to this one. To be honest, it's not bad when you're gulping several sips at a time. It's simply just not a bad flavor. Overpriced, nowhere near classy. Might as well drink it out of the bottle. Fireside Nut Brown is their best seasonal, and that's still something you can rip right through. Unfortunately, their beers are overpriced for this basic approach. The only ones I like to get from time to time are the 1887, the Creamy Dark, and the Sunset Wheat (fruity pebble beer).

leinokt_bttl_pour015941.jpg

Magic Hat Hex (Their Fall seasonal Marzen)

Toast and caramel are very light, you have to sift through a tart, salt and pepper overtone to find it. What the hell is this flavor? Think I ran in to this with the DFH Punkin' Ale, except even worse in that beer. Are these beers sun-damaged? Is this on purpose? They make fun of American Lagers for being piss water, but if anyone has smelled some dank piss, then they'd agree that this beer (and the DFH Punkin) have more of a whiz character. Especially that deep orange whiz that those douchebags leave in public toilets. Anyways, this beer just isn't my thing. I enjoy the Leinie's Oktoberfest more than this one.

hex.jpg?w=500

Having some Dominion Ale after a long week of work.

Well-toasted overtone, yeasty. Butterscotch and flower hops serve as touches. Particularly bitter Amber Ale for sure, really dry mouthfeel here. It's brewed in the English Style. The Dominion Ale is easy to swig for having that bitter English signature. It's alright!

0d4dae8eadf6abfb57db998aa57ede3e_320x320.jpg

Have had several common Amber Ales that have tasted a lot different from one another. The Troegs Hopback Amber is closing in on my radar for sure, want to see what the real deal is like.

Magic Hat Hex (Their Fall seasonal Marzen)

Toast and caramel are very light, you have to sift through a tart, salt and pepper overtone to find it. What the hell is this flavor? Think I ran in to this with the DFH Punkin' Ale, except even worse in that beer. Are these beers sun-damaged? Is this on purpose? They make fun of American Lagers for being piss water, but if anyone has smelled some dank piss, then they'd agree that this beer (and the DFH Punkin) have more of a whiz character. Especially that deep orange whiz that those douchebags leave in public toilets. Anyways, this beer just isn't my thing. I enjoy the Leinie's Oktoberfest more than this one.

http://dylancharles.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/hex.jpg?w=500

Wow really? I drank an entire 6 pack of that during the Skins season opener and I thought it was pretty darn good