Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

I love roasted malt flavor at room temp. Also don't mind American Strongs warming up a bit. With them, the more caramel the better (for drinking at room temp).

Month ago I bought a cold pack of Guinness Extra, left it out for a few hours, and drank all of 'em at room temp.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Dunno about everywhere else, but there was a price hike for most crafties around here about two months ago. At least a dollar for the majority. Sam Adams, DFH, Heavy Seas, the list goes on. Only ones that weren't hiked were Flying Dog, Leinies and Saranac...which is what I grabbed today.

Saranac Adirondack Trail Mix 6er has always been my go-to mixed 6er, but I'm pissed off that they took out the Brown Ale and Black & Tan. Only to replace them with a SECOND Adirondack Lager and a SECOND Pale Ale.

Another thing is that I haven't seen any Saranac Brown Ales since they took it out of the Trail Mix pack. I have one that's been aging for over a year now. Think it'd be nice to try at the 2 year mark, but I'll be a little concerned that it will go bad if I wait longer. I must have a fresh bottle along with an aged bottle, to compare flavors. Why would they take out perhaps the best beer in the damn pack? :wtf?:

Saranac+Adirondack+trail+mix+beer.jpg

Dog Fish Head makes a gluten free beer, Its not on the top of my list of beers to try, since I have never had a dof fish beer I didn't like I would imagine its pretty good.

Thanks - I will keep an eye out for it.

I've tried the gf beers from Bards, Redbridge, and New Planet and, to be honest, wasn't a big fan of them.

I was enjoying some of my own homebrew this weekend...this is the house IPA with a bit of a tweak (Mothers IPA).

IPA.JPG

It is dry-hopped, for a week, with an ounce of Centennial and a half ounce of US Brewers Gold (both with alpha acids over 9%). The nose on this one is spectacular with alot of floral/citrus notes. It is also a bit darker since I added some English dark crystal and pale chocolate malts to the bill but the added malts really blend well with the hops. I used Palisade for the bittering additions and finished with Columbus. Overall I really like how this one turned out, next time I may add some more Columbus at flame out for some more hop kick.

Rant- Ice cold beer is a plain stupid comment. If it was ice cold, it would be solid or at least very slushy. Also, the reason you want your coors light so cold, is because it masks the flavor of the little amount of beer in that bottle. Coors is so aware of their followers dislike for beer, they have put color bars on the actual bottle, to warn their people that if it's not blue, it may actually taste like beer and you won't like it. Drink something else coors light faithfuls, you're wasting your money.

/rant thank you.

Carib, Banks, Red Stripe, Presidente. Drink Caribbean!

Going off Koolblue's rant:

Is there anything more idiotic than the Miller Lite Punch Top Can? Okay, maybe the the Coors Light cold strips, but seriously, who is punching holes in the top of their beer can to get a "smoother pour"? Anyone? Same with their stupid Vortex bottle. I mean come on, seriously?! Are people rushing out to get Miller Lite because you can punch a hole in the top of the can? Sure punching holes in beer is fun in college when you want to shotgun your beer. But this has to be one of the dumbest marketing campaigns ever. How about you take that money and invest in making your crappy beer taste better!

I believe it's to encourage shotgunning. I'd laugh to myself to see someone sporting that thing in a casual setting. :ols: Like a boss.

I put a dent right below the mouth of the can when I want to chug.

Think the demographic it appeals to the most are 18-22 year olds.

Bells Two Hearted, Bells Brewery - Comstock, MI

bells-two-hearted-ale.jpg

Trust me on this one

---------- Post added May-15th-2012 at 05:06 PM ----------

Did anybody ever used to 'shotgun' beer out of a bottle by putting in a straw and bending it to the side of the bottle? Works like a charm! :ols:

Brilliant! Car key and aluminum can was the only way i thought

Edited by chaaarmndr

Rant- Ice cold beer is a plain stupid comment. If it was ice cold, it would be solid or at least very slushy. Also, the reason you want your coors light so cold, is because it masks the flavor of the little amount of beer in that bottle. Coors is so aware of their followers dislike for beer, they have put color bars on the actual bottle, to warn their people that if it's not blue, it may actually taste like beer and you won't like it. Drink something else coors light faithfuls, you're wasting your money.

/rant thank you.

Carib, Banks, Red Stripe, Presidente. Drink Caribbean!

Agreed, however, the only time I drink Caribbean is when I'm in the Caribbean! We put a hurtin' on some Presidente in Punta Cana!

Bells Two Hearted, Bells Brewery - Comstock, MI

http://mikesbrewreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/bells-two-hearted-ale.jpg

Trust me on this one

---------- Post added May-15th-2012 at 05:06 PM ----------

Brilliant! Car key and aluminum can was the only way i thought

Love Two Hearted Ale it is one of my Summer go to beers(along with Gumball Head,Zombie Dust,GI Summertime....etc) I just picked up a case on Sat

The gluten free Dog Fish Tweason'ale was pretty damn good.

Thanks!

The only other gluten free beer I have tried is New Grist...I want to try the Tweason..

---------- Post added May-16th-2012 at 09:20 PM ----------

Otter Creek 20th Anniversary.....

Hmmm, at 12% this beer is all booze with some malts and burns all the way down, two thumbs down....i'll give it a a two out of ten, this beer is a failed effort at a "big beer"

Otter-Creek-20th-Anniversary-Ale-2.jpg

Saranac Pale Ale, widely available around here (Montgomery County). It stood out in the Saranac Mix Pack, I think it's a great beer for the price. Still get the Saranacs at $8.50 a sixer (which is really low nowadays).

The finish on this one is somewhat weak, however the initial flavor is chock full 'o nuts, with a caramel malt overtone. Hops balance well, being the backbone to this beer's flavor. Fluffy/creamy texture with a light mouthfeel makes this a scrumptious one to session. It ain't the deal I get with Sierra Nevada's stuff, which is still below $10 a sixer here, but the Saranac Pale Ale is still an easy purchase to make.

021-4.JPG

Goose Island IPA: Hard to get the well received Goose Island around my part so when my local store got a case of this stuff I had to get a 6er to try. It is a very good IPA more to the English style rather than the American (hop bombs). The hops are good but subtle if I had to guess this beer is somewhere around 50-60 IBUs with the classic English hops doing the bittering and the in your face American hops adding to the flavor (Id guess Cenetennial and/or Cascade perhaps). There is enough pale malt to make this easy drinking ale for the summer months. Overall not a bad beer but I had higher hopes for this one.

Product%20-%20Goose%20Island%20Ipa.preview.jpg

535715_10150879519851827_623161826_9508728_1406697405_n.jpg

http://dcist.com/2012/05/crack_one_open_dc_barry_becomes_but.php

Marion Barry just can't catch a break, can he?

Today the mayor-for-life became the butt of a joke when Frederick-based Flying Dog Brewery used an image of him alongside the text "Crack One Open D.C." on a poster advertising a release party this Saturday at Jack Rose Saloon for its Underdog Atlantic Lager.

The slogan not-so-subtly draws upon Barry's arrest 22 years ago for smoking crack at the Vista Hotel in downtown D.C.

(more at link)

:ols: 1.7% alcohol?! Break out your favorite glassware for this one fellas.

Edit: It's actually 4.7% :whew: