Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's your favorite western movie?

Zguy28

JMS knows his stuff. I spent most Sundays when the Redskins werent on when I was a kid watching all these movies on Channel 20, right after the Tarzan movies.

I have been a fan of Shane for years but never realized, until I watched "The Negotiator" that Shane was dead on his horse at the end... I felt dumb after rewatching and realizing he was riding through a graveyard...... but I was really bummed out by that.

Larry is absolutely right.

Once Upon A Time In The West is the greatest western ever made. If you haven't seen it, you are missing a treat. (Pay special attention to the music. Each main character has his or her own music, and when the characters are in conflict, their music conflicts too. It's great.)

If Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid counts as a traditional western, then it its the other obvious winner.

JMS knows his stuff. I spent most Sundays when the Redskins werent on when I was a kid watching all these movies on Channel 20, right after the Tarzan movies.

I have been a fan of Shane for years but never realized, until I watched "The Negotiator" that Shane was dead on his horse at the end... I felt dumb after rewatching and realizing he was riding through a graveyard...... but I was really bummed out by that.

You know what bummed me out... Those Tarzan Movies.

I was 18 years old and finally realized there weren't any white tribes in Africa which Tarzan always went up against.

You know what bummed me out... Those Tarzan Movies.

I was 18 years old and finally realized there weren't any white tribes in Africa which Tarzan always went up against.

Those movies were freaking wild.

In one movie the White hunters are leading a group up a mountain side and one of the black guys falls off the cliff carrying one of the bundles. The white dude runs over and yells out: "What was in that Pack???"

Larry is absolutely right.

Once Upon A Time In The West is the greatest western ever made. If you haven't seen it, you are missing a treat. (Pay special attention to the music. Each main character has his or her own music, and when the characters are in conflict, their music conflicts too. It's great.)

This isn't some fruity musical you and larry are trying to trick everyone into renting, is it?

If Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid counts as a traditional western, then it its the other obvious winner.

ooh- good one. How did I forget about that one?

I think the height of the modern Western with it's new trend towards anti hero's rather than John Wayne type characters can be seen in HBO's Deadwood. There isn't a good guy in the entire series, not living anyway's. Every character is severely flawed, but at the end you are rooting for all of the flawed town's characters as the series introduces even more F'ked up characters from the outside world.

What's really amaizing about this series is the fact that the characters, stories and town are real, and the knowledge the stories they didn't cover were even more amaizing than the ones which they did.

True stories like Teddy Roosevelt coming to live just outside of Deadwood after his wife dies in NY only a few years after Wild Bill is killed. Teddy Roosevelt's adventures with a French Aristocrate who tries to corner the American Beef industry by strong arm tactics and the innovation of refrigerated box cars. Teddy Roosevelt asking his good friend Marshal Bulluck to accompany him to Cuba as one of the famous Rough riders, Bulluck charging up San Juan hill along side of TR who recieve the CMH for the engagement.

I tried on several occasions to get into Deadwood. I just couldn't. I kept getting bored. Severely bored. Like- turn off the TV and do something else bored.

I know a lot of folks who couldn't get passed the language. It was prety colorful. That series turned out to be as good as anything HBO has done. Especially when Herst comes to town. Not for the faint of heart or those offended by constant and expressive explitives however.

I know a lot of folks who couldn't get passed the language. It was prety colorful. That series turned out to be as good as anything HBO has done. Especially when Herst comes to town. Not for the faint of heart or those offended by constant and expressive explitives however.

well, seeing as how my two favorite shows are The Wire and The Sopranos, language isn't too much of a concern for me :) (boredom is though :silly: )

well, seeing as how my two favorite shows are The Wire and The Sopranos, language isn't too much of a concern for me :) (boredom is though :silly: )

I think I saw an article which tracked profanity and Deadwood was off the charts. Suprano's averaged something like .5 explatives every two minutes and Deadwood averaged 18 every minute.. Deadwoods pros were also a noun and a verb, rather than just the verb.

How many minutes did you give deadwood? If you aren't usually offended, give it two episodes and you'll be hooked. I say usually rather than easily, cause Deadwoods dialog is pretty offensive. It's part of the experience.

I may have to rent that now. I don't remember ever seeing it, unless it was many years ago. I'm not sure why it doesn't get more airplay.

Do it...it is one of the best of all time you will not regret it. Charles Bronson, Henry Fonda and Jason Robards can't go wrong (the name of Jill escapes me I think she was an Italian actress)

Do it...it is one of the best of all time you will not regret it. Charles Bronson, Henry Fonda and Jason Robards can't go wrong (the name of Jill escapes me I think she was an Italian actress)

Claudia Cardinale - and she was smoking hot.

And evil Henry Fonda is just too awesome.

Archived