Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2009 Draft prospects as of the Bye

Veretax

Id rather use our first on a LB. Im also assuming we should go after Haynesworth in the FA. Id rather have a proven pressure maker at DT then trying to hit on one in the draft.

Taylor, Carter, Haynesworth, Griff/Monty/Kedric......pure NASTY!!!

I'd LOVE Haynesworth. I'm just not counting on getting him though.

If we were in position to get him, I'd take him in a second. He was the best receiver in college football last year as a freshman and is dominant again as a sophomore. That kid is one special player.

Having said that, I want some O-linemen!

We would become the Lions if we took another receiver no matter who it is!

DISAGREE!! We have ZERO inside pressure on the DL. At least on the OL, we have guys like Rinehart, Heyer, and Geisinger. I think the first priority is DT using a first round pick. We need a dominant guy in the middle.

We don't have second, so I think we definitely go OL in the mid rounds.

As much as it annoys me, we have had solid defenses over the past 5 years without any blue chip DLinemen. We can still generate pressure if our secondary can play man coverage by scheming...

Let me clarify, I would MUCH rather have some stud DL, and we would have a DOMINATING defense. BUT all that aside, I think we can have a top 5-10 defense with our current DLinemen. Our OL is going to start showing their age (ala Jon Jansen this year) in the very near future, and if we don't have solid prospects behind them with at least a year of learning under their belt, we are going to get Jason Killed.

Rinehart is a solid prospect, but both Heyer and Geisinger are stopgaps. I'm glad we have Heyer, and he could start on an OL if he keeps improving and is surrounded by good linemen, but he can't anchor a line without help. I don't know enough about Geisinger to make any difinitive statements, but trusting our OL to UDFAs is a risky proposition that could ruin a season....

We would become the Lions if we took another receiver no matter who it is!

Agreed, but do you think the lions should have passed on Calvin Johnson? The point is moot anyway because we won't be in position to draft him. I think we'll be in perfect position to draft a mauler for the right side of the O-line or a very good young DT.

Why are people already writing off Heyer? The guy is raw to be sure but has a ton of natural ability and can be coached up for sure.

As far as RB this IS something we need to consider, CP can only take so much abuse with his constant playing. The trenches should be addressed early as well imo.

As much as it annoys me, we have had solid defenses over the past 5 years without any blue chip DLinemen. We can still generate pressure if our secondary can play man coverage by scheming...

Let me clarify, I would MUCH rather have some stud DL, and we would have a DOMINATING defense. BUT all that aside, I think we can have a top 5-10 defense with our current DLinemen. Our OL is going to start showing their age (ala Jon Jansen this year) in the very near future, and if we don't have solid prospects behind them with at least a year of learning under their belt, we are going to get Jason Killed.

Rinehart is a solid prospect, but both Heyer and Geisinger are stopgaps. I'm glad we have Heyer, and he could start on an OL if he keeps improving and is surrounded by good linemen, but he can't anchor a line without help. I don't know enough about Geisinger to make any difinitive statements, but trusting our OL to UDFAs is a risky proposition that could ruin a season....

You certainly make a valid point. But I only imagine what our defense would be like if we can get that inside pressure. Heck, Carter and Taylor would finally be able to get sacks.

I guess its all in perspective. I think we have solidified the LG position with Rinehart by all accounts.

I think Jansen/Heyer is the next biggest liability. Thats why I say we use our third rounder to go after a solid RT. I don't think a first rounder is necessary to shore up the RT spot. But I would understand.

I wouldn't look at the LT until next year or two. I think once Samuels has his surgery, we can squeeze at least a couple of years.

I think value wise I want one of the top linebackers who can play SAM to fall to our spot. Aaron Curry would be amazing, but I doubt he falls. I'm not impressed with many of the DT prospects, but one can step up and sneak into the late first; their value is more in the second-third range imo. I think DE Tyson Jackson could be a solid backup plan.

Here's a list of McShay's top 64 to give you a rough idea of value and familiarity with names, some have profiles up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=3686211

Before getting Hall in the past week, I'd have said CB is Priority Number One. Obviously coming off that belief would require Hall to show something in his seven-game tryout for a big contract here.

It seems the writing may be on the wall for Springs, but I also thought that at the end of last season.

I'm also assuming our young WRs and new TE will develop.

Having said all that, as of right now, I'm still looking for CB first, D-line next. If Hall excels, then D-Line moves to the top and O-Line is closely behind.

Antoine Caldwell OC and Terrence Cody DT both from alabama both studs, hopefully we can take a serious look at at least one of them, if they are still around that is.

I would love Cody. We desperately need push up the middle.

Our main priorities are

DT (We have been riding Griffin for 3 years too long already)

RT (Jansen is done I think, and I'm not sold on Heyer)

SLB (someone to replace Marcus)

A big issue is what we can we find in free agency.

I'd rather have Nnamdi Asogumugha over Anquan boldin if they were both free agents.

This is the year that we really should go DE, OL, LB with a FB mixed in there...Sellers isn't going to last forever.

You're confusing DE with DT. We have more than enough DEs. Taylor and Carters are starters, but not the future. Wilson and James are our prospects. That said, I wouldn't say no to a solid DE prospect, provided it came outside the 1st round.

You can't replace push up the middle. But 90% of DTs aren't pass rushers, they're run stuffers. If we can get a guy like that, go for it.

And don't underestimate the value of an amazing OLB. If we got a hot prospect out there, imagine how we could use McIntosh' speed.

Tough call. I love Boldin, but how do you not snag a cover corner?

Boldin is a great player, but we just drafted 2 WRs.

If we want either of them to actually see the field and develop, we can't have a stud like Anquan Boldin on the team unless we drop ARE or Moss, which when I say Moss, I actually mean ARE

Boldin is a great player, but we just drafted 2 WRs.

If we want either of them to actually see the field and develop, we can't have a stud like Anquan Boldin on the team unless we drop ARE or Moss, which when I say Moss, I actually mean ARE

That would be one heck of a receiving corp!

In my opinion, the positions we need in the order of importance whether via FA or draft:

RT - We need a legitimate starter. Not Jon Jansen. Not Stephen Heyer.

DT - We need someone to take over for Cornelius Griffin who is always playing through injuries, is getting old, and is getting expensive.

DE - Phillip Daniels and Jason Taylor are both too old and injured to be long-term solutions.

C - Casey Rabach is just merely average.

G - Randy Thomas is getting old.

CB - Hall is only signed through the end of the season. Springs is old and injury prone.

LB - This is low because Blades is a suitable replacement for Washington and Fletcher still has some good years left.

LT - Need a backup for Chris Samuels.

Everything else would be luxury picks.

Oh wait, we need a third string TE. Hopefully we use our first round pick or third round pick on a TE since Todd Yoder is signed through next season only.

In my opinion, the positions we need in the order of importance whether via FA or draft:

RT - We need a legitimate starter. Not Jon Jansen. Not Stephen Heyer.

DT - We need someone to take over for Cornelius Griffin who is always playing through injuries, is getting old, and is getting expensive.

DE - Phillip Daniels and Jason Taylor are both too old and injured to be long-term solutions.

C - Casey Rabach is just merely average.

G - Randy Thomas is getting old.

CB - Hall is only signed through the end of the season. Springs is old and injury prone.

LB - This is low because Blades is a suitable replacement for Washington and Fletcher still has some good years left.

LT - Need a backup for Chris Samuels.

Everything else would be luxury picks.

Oh wait, we need a third string TE. Hopefully we use our first round pick or third round pick on a TE since Todd Yoder is signed through next season only.

First of all, way too many pics. Second of all, why would we draft another mid late round corner when we have Tryon? Why is LB so low when Washington is oft injured and Fletcher is one serious injury away from being done completely? Why DE so high when we have Jackson, Wilson, and James? Why wouldn't we resign Yoder? I'm really not following your logic...

We don't have a second or seventh rounder. Do we even have a sixth?

Archived